Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this song a rip off?
Is this song a rip off?
I made a new backing track for my band.  I've made loads actually so far but I wanted some specific feedback on this one.

While creating this I had to stop a few times because of thinking I had unintentionally copied ideas from other music which too closely resembled this other music.

When I first made the song it sounded too much like Kyrptonite by 3 doors down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU8OAjjS4k

Now the verse sounds possibly too much like dirty diana by micheal jackson. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Rd7xjrum8

Anyway this is the link to my track I'll let you decide.  The track isn't finished yet this is just what I did so far. The chords being used for the chorus seem fine though and don't rip anything off. The track isn't finished yet though so that's why the end has no drums, and finishes abruptly.

https://soundcloud.com/paul_pablo-672504709/turnb115bpm

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Is this song a rip off?
Your link didn't work for me.
I took it down because I didn't think anyone was going to look at it.  

It should be there now.

https://soundcloud.com/paul_pablo-672504709/turnb115bpm

I figured out why it sounds similar anyway, the Micheal Jackson bassline goes G - D sharp- F 

Mine goes A- F - G  Which is in a different order with different notes but with the same rhythm and same type of progression.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Well, I heard Kryptonite almost immediately; mere seconds into your track. Honestly, If I hadn't known better, I would've thought it was a cover of the song. Wasn't sure about Dirty Diana, because I hadn't heard the song it quite some time, so I was less familiar with it. After I clicked on the video, I was a surprised at how similar it is to Dirty Diana also.

I'm sorry. That's my honest opinion.
That reminds me of how similar, in beat and chord changes, Mary Jane and Dali California sound.

https://youtu.be/aowSGxim_O8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MR9OH6BjOo
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I'll give it a listen when I get home ...

(April 24, 2016 at 5:33 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Well, I heard Kryptonite almost immediately; mere seconds into your track. Honestly, If I hadn't known better, I would've thought it was a cover of the song. Wasn't sure about Dirty Diana, because I hadn't heard the song it quite some time, so I was less familiar with it. After I clicked on the video, I was a surprised at how similar it is to Dirty Diana also.

I'm sorry. That's my honest opinion.

haha there's no need to be sorry I think the same, except I think it sounds way more like dirty Diana than kryptonite.

The intervals are the same in all 3 songs.  There are differences though, the order of dirty diana is different and the notes, the chords are different in kyrptonite.  They all have different tempos.  And plus the way technique in my guitar playing is different.  It's probably sound more distinct when it has vocals over it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAsm_IAJXo

This song uses the same interval but because of effects and timing it sounds probably less like the others.

(April 24, 2016 at 5:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: The intervals are the same in all 3 songs.  There are differences though, the order of dirty diana is different and the notes, the chords are different in kyrptonite.  They all have different tempos.  And plus the way technique in my guitar playing is different.  It's probably sound more distinct when it has vocals over it too.

Hell, I'm no musician. I can only relay what the track sounds like to my untrained ear.

You're obviously aware of the similarities, so I'm assuming your track will be more distinguishable once it's completed.
Do you have a version with vocals added that you're willing to share this soon?
(April 24, 2016 at 6:22 pm)Thena323 Wrote:
(April 24, 2016 at 5:52 pm)paulpablo Wrote: The intervals are the same in all 3 songs.  There are differences though, the order of dirty diana is different and the notes, the chords are different in kyrptonite.  They all have different tempos.  And plus the way technique in my guitar playing is different.  It's probably sound more distinct when it has vocals over it too.

Hell, I'm no musician. I can only relay what the track sounds like to my untrained ear.

You're obviously aware of the similarities, so I'm assuming your track will be more distinguishable once it's completed.
Do you have a version with vocals added that you're willing to share this soon?

Yeh, the singer just moved house, has his girlfriend giving birth and has to do DIY on the house he bought basically I'm doing everything until he's ready to sing over the tracks.  It's painful waiting but I just get on with the music.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What songs or artists send you diving for the off button? arewethereyet 139 10047 March 2, 2024 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A song that you hate The Valkyrie 33 2220 December 17, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  An 80s song that could apply to the past 4 years. Brian37 39 2108 November 25, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Yes, this IS a Buddy Holly Song....... Brian37 10 1005 June 13, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 569 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  As much as I love ABBA, this is my fav song..... Brian37 16 1610 January 25, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Getting off Diesel...... Brian37 3 528 September 30, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Challenge New, New year's song...... Brian37 0 205 January 3, 2019 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  THIS Is How You Update A Christmas Song! BrianSoddingBoru4 1 913 December 23, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Every so often I post my fav song... Brian37 14 924 December 7, 2018 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Maketakunai