Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having, collecting and hoarding
Having, collecting and hoarding
What's the fine line between the three?

Your neighbor has a Zippo lighter. 

If he had 50 of them - he's a collector.

If he has a 1000 is he a Zippo hoarder?

Now substitute other things - toilet paper, cars, ammunition or guitars.

Do the numbers change?

If 100 rolls of toilet paper is hoarding - is 100 bottles of wine a hoard or a collection?

And lastly - have you ever noticed that a description of hoard varies by the approval of the person deeming it a hoard? Or by the fact that they only have a couple left?
RE: Having, collecting and hoarding
You have a 'toilet paper collection'?
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
I'm not sure what the lines are on certain items but it would be nice to be able to buy some hand soap - that was in abundance a month ago in the stores and now as scarce as unicorns.

Pasta, rice, and dried beans are going to be used as currency a few months from now.

If I were a drinker I might say that 100 bottles of wine is the suggested 90 day supply of medication. Well...maybe not 90...maybe 30.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I have a large collection of evil thoughts, but I'm keeping them just for me!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(April 13, 2020 at 11:32 am)Mr Greene Wrote: You have a 'toilet paper collection'?

That' d be flushing your money down the toilet, wouldn't ya say?

Cool
My son-in-law finally told my daughter to stop buying toilet paper. They have plenty and it's become some weird quest for her. As an extreme extrovert with a passion for shopping and going somewhere, anywhere, all the time - she has developed an obsession with finding stores that have TP.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

All three are very, very different.

‘Having’ means that you’re in possession of something.

‘Hoarding’ is the inability to throw anything away.

‘Collecting’ refers to acquiring specific sets of items without regard to their utility.

Of the three, hoarding is the only one that indicates a psychological problem.

By way of example, at any given moment, I have between 30 and 50 musical instruments in my house. But I’m neither collecting nor hoarding them - I trade them for money.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm not telling you how much ammo I have, but nice try.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 13, 2020 at 11:55 am)brewer Wrote: I'm not telling you how much ammo I have, but nice try.

I own a 200 year old cannonball - does that count as ammo?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: 587cfd6468e9dda78e88734e20382d86.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do I keep having this same dream or at least a variation of it GODZILLA 13 1678 February 18, 2019 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Share your protocol for having a cold Catholic_Lady 67 5780 March 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1147 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is it normal be a hetro-sexual and having no relationship experience? Sterben 61 5733 March 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Why do I keep having an intense craving for orange juice? Edwardo Piet 25 27323 February 9, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway? Whateverist 36 5535 April 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you're having a hard day... Losty 39 2986 April 12, 2016 at 11:15 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  One step closer to having Sam Elliots love child ! vorlon13 1 1018 March 10, 2016 at 12:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  collecting coins or paper money ? Marsellus Wallace 3 1072 October 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Anyone else having problems replying to threads? downbeatplumb 18 2793 August 24, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: brewer