Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello to everyone
Brick 
Hello to everyone
As my title says. I will introduce myself, my name is Alex, I am 18 years old, I am from Romania though I lived in Spain many years and I am currently studying at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology of a romanian University. I am in my first year.

The reason of why I am here is because I am very interested in psychology, that is, the study of people's minds (even if the original word means "soul") and I am very interested in studying what my brothers think, why they act like they act, and so on. I am currently interested in the atheist position. I considered myself an atheist for many, many years. Even if I was just an adolescent, I loved to read philosophy, and some writers eventually led me to atheism. I couldn't longer consider myself an atheist due to some particular event and started studying Patristic philosophy, which I believe is the higher form of it, and Neoplatonism. I am interested in the cause, the origin of the atheism of the people, on the nature of it, on the effects that has on the person, on the consequences that may or may not have and on a possible conclusion I can trace from there.

Greetings.
"Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ, our God"
 - Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom

[Image: ixs081.png]
RE: Hello to everyone
Welcome to these atheistic shores! I'm an Alex as well.

Since the introduction threads are not for heated discussion (we are commanded to be nice and friendly Smile ), it's best if you plunge right in and start a thread with a question or statement you would like see discussed.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome, welcome! Smile

A student of psychology... so nice!
I've heard that the most difficult "patient" is the self... you just can't ever psychoanalyze yourself! Wink
That said, how would you interpret the psychology of your transition from atheist to christian? (maybe you can write a bit about this on a proper thread, out of the intro area)

A sweet thing is in order! We are known for having cookies, after all...
How about a nice slice of Pão de Ló de Alfeizeirão?
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Welcome to the forums!
(April 29, 2016 at 6:43 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome, welcome! Smile

A student of psychology... so nice!
I've heard that the most difficult "patient" is the self... you just can't ever psychoanalyze yourself! Wink
That said, how would you interpret the psychology of your transition from atheist to christian? (maybe you can write a bit about this on a proper thread, out of the intro area)

A sweet thing is in order! We are known for having cookies, after all...
How about a nice slice of Pão de Ló de Alfeizeirão?
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

I am an Orthodox Theology student at the university, not psychology, that is just my "hobby", so to say Big Grin (that looks delicious, by the way)

Thank you all for your welcoming messages!

Welcome, from Tennessee in the US!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome to the forum!

Would you be willing to share the particular event which turned you on your current path? I'm sure that would be a thread of intense interest. Many theists come to us claiming similar things, but are never willing to share. That attitude is most puzzling.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 29, 2016 at 9:45 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

Would you be willing to share the particular event which turned you on your current path?  I'm sure that would be a thread of intense interest.  Many theists come to us claiming similar things, but are never willing to share.  That attitude is most puzzling.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum!

It is not a secret, if I didn't share it it was because I did not consider it something that could interest people since it is a private part of my life, but I certainly do not have any problem in sharing it.

It is not a "divine intervention" or something that you can imagine, even though I do not dismiss the fact that it was God's will for that to happen, it was rather just an intellectual "event".

Wryetui Wrote:As my title says. I will introduce myself, my name is Alex, I am 18 years old, I am from Romania though I lived in Spain many years and I am currently studying at the Faculty of Orthodox Theology of a romanian University. I am in my first year.

The reason of why I am here is because I am very interested in psychology, that is, the study of people's minds (even if the original word means "soul") and I am very interested in studying what my brothers think, why they act like they act, and so on. I am currently interested in the atheist position. I considered myself an atheist for many, many years. Even if I was just an adolescent, I loved to read philosophy, and some writers eventually led me to atheism. I couldn't longer consider myself an atheist due to some particular event and started studying Patristic philosophy, which I believe is the higher form of it, and Neoplatonism. I am interested in the cause, the origin of the atheism of the people, on the nature of it, on the effects that has on the person, on the consequences that may or may not have and on a possible conclusion I can trace from there.

Greetings.

Welcome, Wryetui! I hope you like it here and make interesting contributions. I'm going to write you a little essay that I hope you find helpful to what you're looking for.

I was a devout Pentecostal who was inspired to read the KJV Bible cover-to-cover by my faith. Alarmed, I read the modern English Living Bible version in hopes that the King's English had somehow confused me. It had not, it actually said those things. That didn't make me an atheist, but I was not longer a Christian. I thought there was still a Creator; but no longer believed the Bible was inspired by that being.

I was a less devout but equally convinced believer in what is now often referred to as 'woo'. Bigfoot, the Lochness Monster, ghosts, ancient aliens, alien abductions, ESP, men staring at goats...I believed it all. I didn't start becoming skeptical until I was around 19 or 20, when a group of teenagers proved the Duke University ESP studies had faulty protocols, and when the protocols were corrected, their positive results for ESP disappeared. Up to then, I believed those studies had proven ESP beyond a reasonable doubt. I began to doubt other things I had been accepting uncritically. Regarding God, I went so far as to consider myself an agnostic.

I was in my mid-thirties before I started identifying as an atheist, though. I was in college and happened to take Introduction to Religion and Logic 201 the same semester. My professor was Orthodox Christian, and he was convinced logic and evidence were on his side. Throughout the semester, I observed him saying things that I was learning were fallacious in the Logic class; and about the Burden of Proof. I also learned about possible naturalistic explanations for the origins of the universe in a science class. Up to that point, I had basically kept a space in my head for God because you can't prove there's no such thing as God, and I didn't want to be close-minded like those atheists. My religion prof said he wasn't going to cover atheism in his course, because it's self-contradictory (he used an analogy about a God-detecting machine and having to search the whole universe before you could say there's no God; but I noted with fridge logic that a device like that would disprove an omnipresent God the first time it was turned on if it didn't detect anything). Since I realized the reason he gave for not covering it was not logical; and I was curious because he wasn't going to cover it, I checked out a book from the library called The Case Against God, by George Smith.

It was quite a volume, but the main thing I learned from it that changed my mind about considering myself an atheist was that certainty in the non-existence of God was not a requirement to be an atheist, any more than utter certainty in the existence of God is required to be a theist. I already didn't have any remaining positive belief in God and I realized I am an atheist.

It was like a weight was lifted. Apparently it was costing me some kind of mental energy to hold that place in my mind open for God when I wasn't aware of any good reason to truly think God is real.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1412 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2174 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5647 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1892 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7839 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2618 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3836 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1231 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2384 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm