Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious freedom...
Religious freedom...
It's just a excuse to be a asshole enough said. You can outright be racist, discriminatory and a asshole and 
that protects the believer from getting in any sort of trouble even firing people for getting a abortion etc.
Religion freedom doesn't need to exist because with the first amendment. Religious freedom is just a enabling
law to allow people to be shit heads enough said.  Angry
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Religious freedom...
(May 6, 2016 at 10:15 am)dyresand Wrote: It's just a excuse to be a asshole enough said. You can outright be racist, discriminatory and a asshole and 
that protects the believer from getting in any sort of trouble even firing people for getting a abortion etc.
Religion freedom doesn't need to exist because with the first amendment. Religious freedom is just a enabling

Yes all holy books are used as weapons, but what do you want, a perfect utopia? I agree with what you say, but unless y are going to become a monster yourself to get rid of religion, western law isn't just there to protect atheists, and there are 7 billion humans. Even if all 7 billion of us were suddenly atheists, we'd have divisions too.

I agree with criticizing religion even blaspheming religion, especially when it comes to bigotry, sexism, homopobia and religiously justified violence. Now I certainly think you don't want a one party state like North Korea where only one person is worshiped, nor do I think you want to use genocide.

So outside criticism and blasphemy, what do you suggest we do to make the world more civil?
(May 6, 2016 at 11:07 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 6, 2016 at 10:15 am)dyresand Wrote: It's just a excuse to be a asshole enough said. You can outright be racist, discriminatory and a asshole and 

Yes all holy books are used as weapons, but what do you want, a perfect utopia? I agree with what you say, but unless y are going to become a monster yourself to get rid of religion, western law isn't just there to protect atheists, and there are 7 billion humans. Even if all 7 billion of us were suddenly atheists, we'd have divisions too.

I agree with criticizing religion even blaspheming religion, especially when it comes to bigotry, sexism, homopobia and religiously justified violence. Now I certainly think you don't want a one party state like North Korea where only one person is worshiped, nor do I think you want to use genocide.

So outside criticism and blasphemy, what do you suggest we do to make the world more civil?

All i am really saying is you have freedom of religion already you don't have the freedom to do what ever you want when it comes to religion is what
i am saying. You can be a bigot, racist a dick head. But what you cannot do is use your religion to harm the rights of others being, abortion, firing someone for being irreligious,
keeping non religious from running for office, bathroom banning trans people, not serving someone a cake if they are gay, etc. I take that issue when it comes for freedom of religion 
and it also hurts kids as well pushing a false belief onto them in schools which is proven time and time again religion christianity is in fact not factually true but even being pushed into the secular classroom is highly inappropriate and religion is a private thing not something you waste your time on being indoctrinated in school. People can have religious studies all they want they should not however be allowed to preach it because religion is not true.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Basically, some religious people do not understand what "religious freedom" means, in a secular sense. They do indeed seem to think it means the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want and then hide behind a story book.

And they tend to think it only applies to their religion too; hence the success of satantsists in trolling their stupid asses.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 6, 2016 at 11:27 am)robvalue Wrote: Basically, some religious people do not understand what "religious freedom" means, in a secular sense. They do indeed seem to think it means the freedom to do whatever the fuck they want and then hide behind a story book.

And they tend to think it only applies to their religion too; hence the success of satantsists in trolling their stupid asses.

Yeah.. someone of the smart theists play on that fact saying they are being persecuted when in reality christians are the biggest prosecutors in US history 
and history in whole.

Code:
Here in the Bible Belt of the USA, I also get the feeling that xtians are used to being in the majority and used to dictating people's behavior - not by enforcing laws, but by peer pressure.  Now they see that influence slipping, they see things they don't approve of becoming accepted, and they want LAWS!  The idea that people could even disagree with their position terrifies them.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
[Image: 803510d17c962b672c9a9225e4ef687f.jpg]
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(May 6, 2016 at 2:01 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Here in the Bible Belt of the USA, I also get the feeling that xtians are used to being in the majority and used to dictating people's behavior - not by enforcing laws, but by peer pressure.  Now they see that influence slipping, they see things they don't approve of becoming accepted, and they want LAWS!  The idea that people could even disagree with their position terrifies them.

The fact that they've become so transparent in their efforts to pass various 'Religious Freedom' bills and BS like bathroom laws says to me that they know they're on the wrong side of history and are scrambling to keep their rapidly waning social influence.

I really think this country will look dramatically different in the next 20-50 years as the old people die out and the young and increasingly secular populations increase.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
I don't mind internal enforcement of the various religious edicts, strictures, rules, commandments and precepts amongst the willing participants of a given faith.

I have a problem with sects and schisms out and about in public enforcing their crappola on non-members, particularly when they have sin running rampant in their own houses.

Not mentioning any names [cough][cough][TV preechurs][cough][cough]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 6, 2016 at 2:11 pm)KevinM1 Wrote:
(May 6, 2016 at 2:01 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Here in the Bible Belt of the USA, I also get the feeling that xtians are used to being in the majority and used to dictating people's behavior - not by enforcing laws, but by peer pressure.  Now they see that influence slipping, they see things they don't approve of becoming accepted, and they want LAWS!  The idea that people could even disagree with their position terrifies them.

The fact that they've become so transparent in their efforts to pass various 'Religious Freedom' bills and BS like bathroom laws says to me that they know they're on the wrong side of history and are scrambling to keep their rapidly waning social influence.

I really think this country will look dramatically different in the next 20-50 years as the old people die out and the young and increasingly secular populations increase.

Sooner than you thing millennials are going to make the change whether the older generations want change or not.

Code:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freedom from religion Bow Before Zeus 74 13012 November 22, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Religious Freedom laws and adoptions!!! Britney blue 20 3508 June 15, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Oppression of Religious freedom reverendjeremiah 1 2027 March 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Religious Freedom FadingW 28 7583 October 9, 2010 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Religious Freedom (Or Lack Thereof) Killman 11 4367 June 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist