Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Freedom (Or Lack Thereof)
Religious Freedom (Or Lack Thereof)
I am going to be talking about America here, since I live in the shithole.

One of the biggest "Great" things that hardcore America fanboys will say to you and its always been said, that America has complete "Freedom to choose one's Religion." Now, I do believe that this is true, but only about 10% of it. Sure, we can choose are religious views without getting shot in the head every second, but that doesn't mean we are still doing the right thing, in the minds of society at least. For example, have you ever seen the religious television networks around? Okay, they are able to discuss everything about there religion, since Christianity is the most popular religion here. Now, lets say that I try to make an athiest network. How long do you think that it would last??? Maybe a day. Probably less. This is true for any other religion that is not linked to Christianity. Its the same in the way that Christians are allowed to publicly advertise their religion or even put it in schools (Which isn't supposed to happen) but if you try to do that with any other religion or atheism or or whatever, you will not succeed.

Your thoughts?
[Image: YAYBOOMAVAtAR1_zpse61010be.gif]
The feeble mind will pray to god, the feeble mind will fall.
RE: Religious Freedom (Or Lack Thereof)
Killman Wrote:I am going to be talking about America here, since I live in the shithole.

Just remember: it could always be worse ^_^

Quote:One of the biggest "Great" things that hardcore America fanboys will say to you and its always been said, that America has complete "Freedom to choose one's Religion." Now, I do believe that this is true, but only about 10% of it. Sure, we can choose are religious views without getting shot in the head every second, but that doesn't mean we are still doing the right thing, in the minds of society at least.

Well... freedom isn't about doing 'the right thing'... it is about not being restricted in the doing of a thing. Sleepy Iow: what society thinks matters not when it comes to freedom unless the society restricts it.

Quote:For example, have you ever seen the religious television networks around? Okay, they are able to discuss everything about there religion, since Christianity is the most popular religion here. Now, lets say that I try to make an athiest network. How long do you think that it would last??? Maybe a day. Probably less. This is true for any other religion that is not linked to Christianity.

Actually... this is untrue. It is simply less common, as there is more of a Christian audience in America Sleepy Now if you specifically were to make a network: I have no idea how long it would last... but Im quite sure what the network is about is unrelated to 'how long it would last' Sleepy

Quote:Its the same in the way that Christians are allowed to publicly advertise their religion or even put it in schools (Which isn't supposed to happen) but if you try to do that with any other religion or atheism or or whatever, you will not succeed.

I wouldn't say one cannot succeed... but one certainly would have a more difficult time. To contrast... say that you were intending to market a product to a civilization with a large amount of water. If you try to market anything that is not water, you are quite a bit more likely to be more successful than if you were to try to sell water Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You can not have freedom without a struggle. Our connstitution is supposed to keep things equal but unfortunately those in power have the power to corrupt those original intentions and pollute the public. I would also make a note to be carefull when using a comparative that puts atheism anywhere close to being a religion.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Tacky Wrote:You can not have freedom without a struggle.

Can too! In fact, freedom is the default Sleepy

Quote:Our connstitution is supposed to keep things equal but unfortunately those in power have the power to corrupt those original intentions and pollute the public.

Honestly... the Constitution is largely not responsible for the state of the laws or actions of the nation: the people who hold it as the law are much more responsible. As is, the people mostly are traditionalists (in that they turn their law to their Constitution)... and those who are not try to capitalize on this by finding loopholes in, or reinterpreting, the Constitution.

The American's are ridiculously defensive of their origins Sleepy Not that the Constitution is a poor manuscript... but their passion for it borders on an obsession. Sleepy

Quote:I would also make a note to be carefull when using a comparative that puts atheism anywhere close to being a religion.

Why? It can be a sound comparison at times Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 8, 2010 at 7:16 am)tackattack Wrote: You can not have freedom without a struggle. Our connstitution is supposed to keep things equal but unfortunately those in power have the power to corrupt those original intentions and pollute the public. I would also make a note to be carefull when using a comparative that puts atheism anywhere close to being a religion.
A piece on atheism being a religion from your future president, Dusty Smith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_osyqCrGHc
I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...
@Sae- I don't think freedom is the default. I think survival of the fittest and chaos is the default. I think, by nature, man/womankind seeks to dominate it's surroundings to include their fellow man/woman. Everything is a power strugle. I can't feasibly see freedom from oppression (of any sort) coming without some changing in dominance. If you can think of an example of freedoms being the default I'd be happy to discuss it. As far as culpability for laws Iagree it resides in the individual not the constitution itself. I'll restate my position as I think that our government is supposed to keep things equal, constitutionally, but unfortunately those in power have the power to corrupt those original intentions and pollute the public.

@Dusty Smith Video- No benefit except integrity.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Damn. I hate having to agree with tack but...

Quote:Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master.

-- G. Sallustius Crispus
:ROFLOL: You know we typically only disgree on religious stances min. I think I typically side with you on political, social and scientific discussions. It does make me feel a little uncomfortable though Tongue

Sae does that on purpose.

She can be a real bitch, you know.
(June 8, 2010 at 5:12 am)Killman Wrote: I am going to be talking about America here, since I live in the shithole.

One of the biggest "Great" things that hardcore America fanboys will say to you and its always been said, that America has complete "Freedom to choose one's Religion." Now, I do believe that this is true, but only about 10% of it. Sure, we can choose are religious views without getting shot in the head every second, but that doesn't mean we are still doing the right thing, in the minds of society at least. For example, have you ever seen the religious television networks around? Okay, they are able to discuss everything about there religion, since Christianity is the most popular religion here. Now, lets say that I try to make an athiest network. How long do you think that it would last??? Maybe a day. Probably less. This is true for any other religion that is not linked to Christianity. Its the same in the way that Christians are allowed to publicly advertise their religion or even put it in schools (Which isn't supposed to happen) but if you try to do that with any other religion or atheism or or whatever, you will not succeed.

Your thoughts?

Having the freedom to chose one's own religion doesn't mean your choice has to become popular (because you'd like to be popular) - or in other words, freedom doesn't mean that a bunch of other people have to agree with you because you can make a decision. The two (personal freedom and personal popularity) are simply not connected in the way you think they are supposed to be, I guess.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freedom from religion Bow Before Zeus 74 12968 November 22, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Religious freedom... dyresand 12 2021 May 7, 2016 at 4:58 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  I don't do "lack of belief", bitch. Foxaèr 35 5888 March 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Panatheist
  Religious Freedom laws and adoptions!!! Britney blue 20 3495 June 15, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Challenge to atheists: I find your lack of faith disturbing! Aractus 271 72435 March 29, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Oppression of Religious freedom reverendjeremiah 1 2026 March 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Religious Freedom FadingW 28 7514 October 9, 2010 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Zen Badger