Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:02 pm

Poll: Do we have free will?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
33.33%
5 33.33%
No.
66.67%
10 66.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Will - Yes/No?
Free Will - Yes/No?
Do we have free will, or do we live in a deterministic universe?

*Long OP explaining the simple poll boring every one of its readers, including its author*

Discuss.
RE: Free Will - Yes/No?
Not enough polling options for me. I don't really understand what "free will" means. To me "free will" was always synonymous with "without meddling from God". So, using that definition I would say yes. God, being non existent, never meddles. If we aren't using that definition then I don't think I fully understand what free will could be.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
There is a third option, that all actions are the net result of (quantum) randomness. So (in my opinion) it doesn't make sense to call this "free will", nor is the universe entirely deterministic, if this was the case.

However, this still results in the answer "no" to free will so I will vote that way. If I had to guess, I think it's an illusion of sorts.

But I agree with Losty. the concept of "free will" is not well defined. In fact, I consider it to be as slippery as woo words.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I have no choice but to say YES.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I don't know what free will means, either. Also, I sense a false dichotomy free will vs. determinism.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

A couple days ago, this came out:
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/free-wil...aims-study

"
Our minds may be rewriting history,” Adam Bear, a Ph.D. student in the Department of Psychology at Yale University and lead author of the study, said in a statement. The implication here is that when it comes to very short time scales, even before we think we’ve made a conscious choice, our mind has already subconsciously decided for us, and free will is more of an illusion than we think.
"
Yeah, I remember seeing something about that before with Marcus du Sautoy. The conscious mind seems like a storyteller and a rationaliser.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Beware the "free will fallacy", I've seen some very intelligent people slip up on it:

If we have no genuine choices then we should [alter our behaviour in some way] because [persuading reasons].

It contradicts the premise. "Should", as pertaining to some sort of persuading argument, has no meaning without a genuine choice.

The fact I've seen this so often just goes to show how accustomed we are to thinking we have a choice, whether we actually do or not.

Index of my best videos
(May 8, 2016 at 3:32 am)robvalue Wrote: There is a third option, that all actions are the net result of (quantum) randomness. So (in my opinion) it doesn't make sense to call this "free will", nor is the universe entirely deterministic, if this was the case.

However, this still results in the answer "no" to free will so I will vote that way. If I had to guess, I think it's an illusion of sorts.

But I agree with Losty. the concept of "free will" is not well defined. In fact, I consider it to be as slippery as woo words.

Well, even with quantum randomness, there's still cause and effect, right?
(May 8, 2016 at 5:21 am)Alex K Wrote: I don't know what free will means, either. Also, I sense a false dichotomy free will vs. determinism.

You can vote both yes and no, so I'm not really giving you a false choice, unless you think there's a fourth option beyond free will, determinism, and a view that considers them both simultaneously.

Anyway, my view is none of us have any choice, ever, and it's all out of our control. Call that determinism or whatever you like, but it seems to me only this can be the case, anything else doesn't even make sense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paradox of Surprise? Yes? No? Edwardo Piet 17 5591 January 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: jason56