Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About atheism
About atheism
Atheism biggest flaw is that it says that human lifes is nothing more then illusion because of its temporary nature and all you can do is smile while enjoy your life and then - dissappear.

No wonder that many people go as far as divert all their resources otherwise spend on good life and instead put themselves in miserable life style(praying, donating, working hard) but with hope of good afterlife.
RE: About atheism
No, it says nothing of the sort.

Atheism is simply a lack of beliefs in deities. Whatever else an atheist believes or doesn't believe is undetermined. They could still believe in afterlives, or any amount of other woo. You don't get to project what you feel are further conclusions.

In popular mythology, gods and afterlives have been treated as a package. But they are two entirely different (and incoherent) propositions.

If you can tell me what differentiates a god from a non-God, I'll be impressed.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 14, 2016 at 2:37 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Atheism biggest flaw is that it says that human lifes is nothing more then illusion because of its temporary nature and all you can do is smile while enjoy your life and then - dissappear.

No wonder that many people go as far as divert all their resources otherwise spend on good life and instead put themselves in miserable life style(praying, donating, working hard) but with hope of good afterlife.

I'd like to see several sources cited that prove this. Otherwise, it's just an opinion of someone who doesn't understand the term "atheist" or "atheism" at all.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Robvalue, I dunno what was your question really about. But in hindu mythology demigods(like administrators on mmo server) are serving God(the Guy who hosts the server). The reality or a Gods server is filled with his low level creations who can follow his server rules(endure pain) and get sweet "gifts" or temporary ban for being assholes. If you we say Angels and demigods were made perfect, then its unjust and lame, but if we say that they served consistently enough to get that promotion then its just and cool. Its a big picture.
(May 14, 2016 at 3:02 am)Nymphadora Wrote:
(May 14, 2016 at 2:37 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Atheism biggest flaw is that it says that human lifes is nothing more then illusion because of its temporary nature and all you can do is smile while enjoy your life and then - dissappear.

I'd like to see several sources cited that prove this. Otherwise, it's just an opinion of someone who doesn't understand the term "atheist" or "atheism" at all.

I watched popular atheists on youtube like Dawkins and Hitchens and they mostly said that we are soulless meatbags and we should be man enough to accept it.
So.... you're basing your reasonings entirely on just two people?

Okay. You know that Dawkins and Hitchens are not the final authority on atheism, right?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Yeah, it doesn't matter what any particular atheist says. We have no authorities.

So... a God is something that gives gifts, makes creations, and creates rules? And makes judgements about his creation? Can I be a god then if I create some life and lord over it? See, I don't even know what it is I'm meant to be assessing.

I want to know about what a god really is, if you believe in such a thing, not about mythology. If you don't believe, then you're an atheist too so I don't know what your point is.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(May 14, 2016 at 3:16 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(May 14, 2016 at 3:02 am)Nymphadora Wrote: I'd like to see several sources cited that prove this. Otherwise, it's just an opinion of someone who doesn't understand the term "atheist" or "atheism" at all.

I watched popular atheists on youtube like Dawkins and Hitchens and they mostly said that we are soulless meatbags and we should be man enough to accept it.

I'd like to see some citations for those quotes, thanks.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
A lot of atheists are sceptics, but certainly not all. So if you have a problem with scepticism, it's best to address that directly.

A sceptic generally doesn't believe in Gods, souls, afterlives, ghosts and magic, because they are ill-defined and have no evidence besides anecdotes.

I agree that accepting reality on reality's terms can be daunting and so many people prefer the comfort of fantasy.

Index of my best videos
(May 14, 2016 at 3:22 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah, it doesn't matter what any particular atheist says. We have no authorities.

So... a God is something that gives gifts, makes creations, and creates rules? And makes judgements about his creation? Can I be a god then if I create some life and lord over it?

I want to know about what a god really is, if you believe in such a thing, not about mythology.

I believe hindu mythology is an actual description of reality, the complete one. You and I can fall while standing still and if you hit your head the right way it will result in death. Thats so miserable that puting word me and god in the same sentence is laughable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12162 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12022 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38103 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack