Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remains of st john the baptist 'found'
Remains of st john the baptist 'found'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10849211

[Remains of St John the Baptist 'found'
3 August 2010 Last updated at 09:20 Help Bone fragments of St John the Baptist appear to have been found on Sveti Ivan Island near Bulgaria's southern Black Sea.

He is considered one of the most important figures in Christianity.

Further tests are still to be carried out on the fragments, which were discovered late last month]

How could they possibly know for sure?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Remains of st john the baptist 'found'
They can't. Simple as that.
And from the BBC of all places...
Like I said on the Jesus thread about his existance. I can believe that a man who founded christianity named Jesus Christ was alive at the time and place, even if they found his remains, it'd be a monumental discovery because his life affected billions of lives over the millenia.

But as far as what this means to me as an atheist, I think if this were actually John the Baptist's remains, I think it's an important discovery. I don't think it means anything as far as religion in any actual religious sense. It doesn't proove anything in the bible or disprove anything we know about anything except that we know a man we know of actually exists whereas we weren't sure before.

And that is important because the man would be very important if he actually exists.
Agreed. If they were able to prove that the body is that of the actual 'John the Baptist' written about in various religious texts... it would be a very important discovery. It would lend a measure of validation to the historical truthiness of said texts so far as the people mentioned in them having been real people, rather than fictional characters. Unfortunately, there is no way to prove it.

Either way, it wouldn't serve as evidence to support any of the supernatural claims of Christianity, only as evidence that one or more of it's founders was a real person.
(August 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm)Tiberius Wrote: They can't. Simple as that.
Ah, but they came to this well thought out conclusion by faith. Forensic science is the work of the devil!

Next week they'll "rediscover" the reputed remains of St. Peter, buried upside down. Isn't that clever? =P
Maybe they have dental records. C'mon stranger things have happened! Wink
Or maybe the stories that the Hebrew Bible was bound in human flesh and inked in blood were all true?
(August 3, 2010 at 12:58 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10849211

[Remains of St John the Baptist 'found'
3 August 2010 Last updated at 09:20 Help Bone fragments of St John the Baptist appear to have been found on Sveti Ivan Island near Bulgaria's southern Black Sea.

He is considered one of the most important figures in Christianity.

Further tests are still to be carried out on the fragments, which were discovered late last month]

How could they possibly know for sure?
Yes, where would they get the impression that John the baptist's bones were there, and why would they be in Bulgaria?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 3, 2010 at 7:59 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Yes, where would they get the impression that John the baptist's bones were there, and why would they be in Bulgaria?

Actually, John the Baptist has been found. He apparently works in a shoe store. Satan found him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBSps4QcV...re=related

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5864 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3143 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  John Oliver on Televangelists. Brian37 10 1025 September 17, 2021 at 5:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78636 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2832 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 9020 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2557 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11602 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3317 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4620 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet