Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think some people take American Patriotism too far
Do you think some people take American Patriotism too far
Today...I honestly forgot it was Memorial day. Apparently some have this day circled on their calender's. I'm a busy college student so I'm not really aware of most holidays, unless it's like 4th of July or Thanksgiving. But I recently bought a Mexico Baseball hat today. I for one love Baseball and like to collect baseball hats. I even have to bend them a little, I can't stand flat brims!!! lol But anyways, I posted a selfie of myself wearing it today with the caption "VivaMexico". Then someone I'm friends with commented the following: "This makes me so fucking sick! People give their lives for this country and you have the nerve to post a picture wearing that sort of hat on this special day! People like you should be shot and dropped off in the Middle East, and maybe you will understand!" 

I deleted the comment, but I was just amazed how we're apparently the most free country, but if you don't bow down for the country it's considered a bad thing and you're attacked for it. Weird...I bet the forefathers were rolling in their graves when that punk wrote that. 

By the way: I have respect for those who risk their lives everyday. I even have several relatives who were in World War 2. My neighbor is a Vietnam vet and guess what??? He's from Mexico originally. lol
RE: Do you think some people take American Patriotism too far
Some indeed take American patriotism too far.
Your friend, though, is an idiot.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I don't understand extreme patriotism to any country. I see the same thing here in The UK, typically with the chav types, who revel in being "British!!" despite the government not giving a fuck about working class people. I think it's just an identity to some people though, it gives them something to claim and call themselves.

I get feeling a connection to a certain country and "liking" your country sure. It's where you grew up, or maybe if you weren't born there, you either have ancestry from there or you moved there and decided it was "home". What I don't get is the literal "ride or die" mentality some have where they're with their country and government whatever the f it does.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Personally I can't stand 'corporate patriotism.'  The Yankees always play "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch and I mute it because I hate that fucking song.  But I was really surprised when this report came out which puts everything into perspective.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...ism-events

Quote:Pentagon Paid Sports Teams Millions For 'Paid Patriotism' Events

Quote:In the past few years, the Pentagon spent $6.8 million to pay for patriotic displays during the games of professional sports teams.
That's according to a joint oversight report released by Arizona Republican Sens. John Flake and John McCain on Wednesday.
The senators found that since 2012, the Pentagon has signed 72 contracts with teams in the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, and Major League Soccer that amounted to "paid patriotism."

Propaganda from the military-industrial complex.
Yes.

I think you need to be more discerning in your friendships.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Truth is, there's a lot of conditioning going on in the USA. Quite a lot more than in any other western country I know of. The pledge at school, the greeting of the flag, the overt glorification of the armed forces. Which is kind of a paradoxon, since the original idea was all about individual freedom and individualism.

I know, most people don't swing that way, but all the ingredients are rather fascist in nature and wouldn't stand the Litmus test anywhere in Europe. Also there are a lot of blockbusters sponsored by the Pentagon, which of course serve to draw youngsters into the army.

In my opinion, everything is geared towards not asking too many questions and towards not developing a critical mind when it comes to the country itself, the way it is run and the ones actually running it. Works fine, especially when it comes to not very educated, disenfranchised people, who are presented with the opportunity to still feel great by defining themselves over the flag.

Works and worked in any country, by the way. There's that old Hermann Göring quote at Nuremberg, when Gustav Gilbert interviewed him on German nationalism. A very true statement by a professional cynic out for personal gain.

Quote:All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Nice friend you've got there. 
And, yes. Anything can be taken too far.
i say yes... patriotism can be taken way to far
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(May 30, 2016 at 4:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Yankees always play "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch and I mute it because I hate that fucking song. 

This bit of bullshit only crept into baseball after 9/11. The fact that some teams have made this a tradition boggles the mind. Perhaps I'm not the right one to opine since I also loathe the practice of singing the National Anthem before sporting events. The only song that should be sung during the seventh inning stretch is 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame", period. Although not a Cubs fan, if teams have trouble with the words or developing local tradition they should play Harry Carey's rendition, slurring and all. Jesus Fuck.
Patriotism: the last refuge of the scoundrel.

It's been my experience that the loudest patriots are those who have no investment in defending their countries physically.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1198 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think about the police? FlatAssembler 169 12934 December 19, 2022 at 12:49 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Far Right on the Rise Foxaèr 2 363 September 14, 2022 at 6:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 874 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25318 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 3671 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4096 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 822 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1317 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 462 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate