Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse?
how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse?
i've had a pretty bad life and i thought it was cus god is a jerk and just wants to make me miserable, so i became atheist, but even now the way bad things just keep happening right after another makes it impossible for me to believe its just coincidence, and i feel like god is just trying to make me miserable cus i believe my life is a living hell from possibly a past life.

like these 2 months have been ridiculous, ive moved lately, and this new place sucks so much, the weather is terriblly nasty, traffic everywhere i go im looking at 20$ in gas from sitting in traffic alone, things keep breaking one after another in my apartment, and the apartment managars are impossible to get a hold of!! the only reason i moved here was cus i thought my last living situation was bad - but as always i seem to keep going from frying pan to fire.

and this last month for example!! after everything bad that happened last month, beginning of this month i found out my debit card got hacked and the people took like half the money that was in my bank!! so now im waiting for paperwork to come in mail to file  a claim, and the stress of what if the paper work gets lost or my claim gets declined - on top of that last night my roof just cracked and all the rain water comes right in my bedroom!! and the water got into my tv and completely destroyed it. 

and i just got into a car accident last week and now my car is all messed up...i keep telling myself, well its just a coincidence!!! the idea of god tormenting me in this hell is completely silly!! i am just an organism on this planet just like everybody else!!  but i seriously just want to shoot myself cus i feel like as long as i keep living i will always be miserable. cus i feel like if atheism was 100% true, then bad things and good things would happen about 50/50, but the way they way bad things happen over and ove rto me nonstop just makes me think its not coincidence.

and im not even factoring in the daily depression i feel from not having a girlfriend, that alone makes me extremely suicidal. or how my mom emotionally abused me all my life, and how my dad doesn't want anything to do with me and talks to me like im garbage.
RE: how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse?
This is a good website to try:
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Good things aren't guaranteed to happen 50% of the time. I don't know what I can say that will make you feel better other than clichés. Also, Atheism is not a belief system; there are not beliefs. It's a state of mind, may be a good way of describing it.

I'm really sorry you had to endure these annoying problems, but they are not suicide material. There's no reason to think you'll always be miserable. If you do always feel miserable and like there's no hope, you should check in with a professional.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 4, 2016 at 3:56 pm)Rextos Wrote: i've had a pretty bad life and i thought it was cus god is a jerk and just wants to make me miserable, so i became atheist, but even now the way bad things just keep happening right after another makes it impossible for me to believe its just coincidence, and i feel like god is just trying to make me miserable cus i believe my life is a living hell from possibly a past life.

like these 2 months have been ridiculous, ive moved lately, and this new place sucks so much, the weather is terriblly nasty, traffic everywhere i go im looking at 20$ in gas from sitting in traffic alone, things keep breaking one after another in my apartment, and the apartment managars are impossible to get a hold of!! the only reason i moved here was cus i thought my last living situation was bad - but as always i seem to keep going from frying pan to fire.

and this last month for example!! after everything bad that happened last month, beginning of this month i found out my debit card got hacked and the people took like half the money that was in my bank!! so now im waiting for paperwork to come in mail to file  a claim, and the stress of what if the paper work gets lost or my claim gets declined - on top of that last night my roof just cracked and all the rain water comes right in my bedroom!! and the water got into my tv and completely destroyed it. 

and i just got into a car accident last week and now my car is all messed up...i keep telling myself, well its just a coincidence!!! the idea of god tormenting me in this hell is completely silly!! i am just an organism on this planet just like everybody else!!  but i seriously just want to shoot myself cus i feel like as long as i keep living i will always be miserable. cus i feel like if atheism was 100% true, then bad things and good things would happen about 50/50, but the way they way bad things happen over and ove rto me nonstop just makes me think its not coincidence.

and im not even factoring in the daily depression i feel from not having a girlfriend, that alone makes me extremely suicidal. or how my mom emotionally abused me all my life, and how my dad doesn't want anything to do with me and talks to me like im garbage.

Not sure how I can help exactly.  Was there a question in there somewhere?

What about you .. are you religious?  I only ask because we're an atheist themed forum so I'm looking for an angle where we come in .. if there is one.
Quote:cus i feel like if atheism was 100% true, then bad things and good things would happen about 50/50,

I don't know where you got that idea from.

Also 'god' is not a jerk.  "God' is fiction.  The primitive humans who invented him were jerks.  The equally primitive humans who still cling to absurd superstitions are jerks too.
(June 4, 2016 at 3:56 pm)Rextos Wrote: i've had a pretty bad life and i thought it was cus god is a jerk and just wants to make me miserable, so i became atheist, but even now the way bad things just keep happening right after another makes it impossible for me to believe its just coincidence, and i feel like god is just trying to make me miserable cus i believe my life is a living hell from possibly a past life.

Everyone in that area is experiencing the same weather, traffic and people living in the same apartment are probably having the same problems with the managers.

How did your debit card get hacked? Did you login to any links that got emailed to you from your bank? How good is your bank security?

Did you inspect the apartment before moving in for damage inside and outside? Do you have insurance for your TV and other belongings?

How did the car accident happen?

I'm not saying everything is your fault but you can control your life and what happens to a fairly large degree (I know a former homeless person that had nothing and became a middle class earner under 5 years with discipline, charisma and hard work)
1. Seek professional help if you're seriously suicidal or think you have clinical depression.

2. All atheism is is a lack of faith in gods. That's it. It has no bearing on the amount of good/bad stuff that happens in your life. All it means is that the good and bad stuff doesn't have a divine origin.

3. As Red_Wind intimated, as an adult you have to do your due diligence when it comes to everything in your life. Debit cards, for example, are terrible to use precisely because they're easy to hack and it's a pain to get your account(s) fixed once that happens. For actual purchases, use a credit card. Use your debit card sparingly for cash only (ATM visits), and only do it when absolutely necessary. I'm not going to repeat everything else Red_Wind said, but they're on the right track. Do what you can to mitigate your own risk. Sometimes shitty things just happen due to bad luck, but if you can control some of that there's no reason not to do it.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
If it will help you to get through depression, suicidal thoughts and life to be a non-atheist or spiritual then do it. Don't think for a moment that atheists have some special insight on living a serene and successful life, we don't. At least I don't. Some of the most content people I have known have been theists. I don't understand them and don't know how or why but they are content.

Really hope you didn't hear your dad in your head while reading this.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Life sucks sometimes, but praying about it doesn't help. No god is going to come and give back what was stolen from me. Or help me find a new place to live. Most sensible theists will likely tell you that you still need to put forth some effort to get the things you want, and that's what actually gets results. Not talking to the air from your knees.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Sad story Rex, and I'm sincerely sorry for your troubles. But as far as 'how to hold on to atheism' when unremittingly bad shit happens to you consider this: worse things happen to people who sincerely believe, who pray every day.

At the age of 17, I was caught in an explosion that killed 12 people and injured 63. As for me, I lost my an eye, eight teeth and a promising rugby career. There is no possible doubt that the overwhelming majority of the dead and injured were truly devout. Life is a crap shoot, mate. From time to time, you roll nothing but craps for no real reason. Things will get better.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27137 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2307 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4692 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  you can keep heaven Amarok 32 6616 November 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? coolfunkDJ 68 12750 April 4, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12485 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12156 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  This is getting old tor 42 9025 April 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: microxone
  WLC is getting old tor 4 1868 March 21, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Modler
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0