Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do bad things happen? Because they do.
Why do bad things happen? Because they do.
Didn't know where to put this, but I put it here because it is personal but does relate to the nature of reality.

Just got some bad news last night that a long time friend who had a stroke last year just had another. We thought he was doing better, so much so they moved him out of a hospital into a long term care place. There is no god punishing him or me, this is simply what happens to alot of old people. 

Others here can tell the theists, we really don't want you talking about your fictional sky hero when we are going through things like this. I don't think you realize even if you think you are trying to be nice, the response in our head is either "bullshit" or "shut the fuck up".

But when it is the theist's loved one we remain silent and listen to you talk about god. But when we are the ones going through it we are still expected not to express our positions. 

This guy may not have much time left while we do still hope he could recover somewhat. I can tell you he is the sweetest guy I have ever met, and gave me the courage to feel comfortable in my own skin. We talked almost every single day for the past 15 years and got me through some rough times when it came to my mother's health issues. I am no scientific expert in the least, but he also lead me to lots skeptics and general understanding of some science I didn't have prior.

The comfort I have in all this is feeling lucky to have met and knowing him. So why does such a bad thing happen to such a good person? Because reality isn't magic or a utopia, and something always gets us at some point. Now is all we have.
RE: Why do bad things happen? Because they do.
I'm sorry to hear that Brian. He sounds like a great man and I'm glad you were able to get to know him.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 30, 2016 at 11:27 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that Brian. He sounds like a great man and I'm glad you were able to get to know him.

Of course while I hope he can get better, I still have to face that. He most certainly is a great guy. Laughs at all my stupid jokes, and even watches Redskins games with me despite he could care less about that sport. He simply loves watching me or hearing me come unglued when they suck.
"So why does such a bad thing happen to such a good person?"

I think you answered your own question at the beginning of your post, mate.

"...this is simply what happens to alot of old people."

I wish him well none the less and hope he does recover.
(March 30, 2016 at 11:42 am)TheFletherMemorial Wrote: "So why does such a bad thing happen to such a good person?"

I think you answered your own question at the beginning of your post, mate.

"...this is simply what happens to alot of old people."

I wish him well none the less and hope he does recover.

That is up to his body and his doctors, the rest of us can only hope. Me too. Thanks.
I think this sums up my general outlook on the fairness and justness of tragedy and death:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXry1gDLmGw
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Theists are obnoxious in that they think everyone always wants to hear about their bullshit.

They are wrong.
Is your friend a theist or atheist?
If he is an atheist it would indeed be quite inapropriate to start talking about God in this matter.
Otherwise it'd be ok I guess.
But yeah, I understand your frustration. I'd think the same.
whatever floats your goat
(March 30, 2016 at 10:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Theists are obnoxious in that they think everyone always wants to hear about their bullshit.

They are wrong.

Well humans are not born with adult reasoning skills and most are indoctrinated into the social norms they are born under. But yea, it is especially annoying when we are still expected to listen to your sales pitch in our moment of stress. I cant stop you from having your thoughts, but according to most believers, their groveling to a super hero is supposed to work, regardless if they verbalize to the target they think they are helping. Just fucking do it if that makes you feel better, but in that moment, I if it is our moment, and not yours, SHUT THE FUCK UP.
The old "I'll pray for you" bullshit really upsets me when I'm going through something traumatic. Sorry, not sorry but that is not what I need to hear during my time of pain. Stop trying to shove your religion down everyone's throats. Its not helpful in any way to an atheist and its rather insulting that you know who you're talking to, that they are in pain and yet you selfishly take an opportunity to try and be all preachy. Don't. Just don't. Your silence is better than your prayers to your god.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4760 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4149 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Atheism in control would be bad Radieo31 66 14157 January 13, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17025 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2510 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  "There is a god because e = mc²" bheath 58 10371 February 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: bheath
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6769 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? Rextos 26 5066 February 13, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  That's pretty important isn’t it because if awaralarki 8 3202 August 8, 2015 at 8:07 am
Last Post: c172
  Because the bible tells you so? Exian 73 8781 June 2, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: robvalue