Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and Purpose
Atheism and Purpose
It dawned on me about a year ago why atheism is so attractive. I was having a hard time with existential issues. You know, what am I supposed to do with my life? What meaning do I have? Is there any reason for my birth? How can I find my purpose for being? That sort of thing.

Then I realized a startling fact: if there is no God who created me, then I have no purpose. No inherent purpose, no mission in life. If everything is chaos and natural selection, then I'm just a determined entity. I don’t have to worry about “purpose.” There is no purpose. I am free from my existential dilemma. Free at last.

All I have to do is stop believing in God.

I was wondering if any of the atheists in here would like to comment. Have any of you had the same experience?
RE: Atheism and Purpose
No.
No.

First off you're assuming there has to be a purpose granted by some supreme being. Since that doesn't exist it's obvious that whatever purpose you have is what you want it to be. Life has the meaning you give. It may not be meaningful on some invisible transcendent plane, but it's meaningful to you and that's all that matters.

If life's purpose is just to go to heaven, why not kill yourself?

It's one of theists' major assumptions that atheists live meaningless lives. You once again prove you understand nothing of atheism.

edit: Oh and you've basically said, "I feel better thinking there's a greater purpose, so god exists!" Appeal to emotion as a logical fallacy and no basis in sound reasoning.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
No.

In fact, I have a hard time understanding why so many people seem to think there should be some sort of 'meaning' behind Life, The Universe, and Everything. ®

If life has a purpose, it is to be lived.
Quote:I was wondering if any of the atheists in here would like to comment. Have any of you had the same experience?

No.

I have been an atheist all my life and so god and purpose never entered my mind. I only heard of this 'speacial purpose' from theists.
I was an atheist long before I even heard of atheism.

From my secular upbrining, religion was never something that I would dwell on.
Today, I don't think much about purpose or god because I don't believe in either. I just live and enjoy my life to the best of my abilities.

Atheists don't have meaningless lives like many crazy theists would assert. Actually we live very rich and full lives like any other. The only thing atheism is, is lack of belief in god's existance. That's it. That is atheism. Just lack of belief in god. Why many theists fail to understand this still puzzles me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
My experience has been positive. I enjoy doing what I want to do.
(August 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: It dawned on me about a year ago why atheism is so attractive. I was having a hard time with existential issues. You know, what am I supposed to do with my life? What meaning do I have? Is there any reason for my birth? How can I find my purpose for being? That sort of thing.
Go on...

(August 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: Then I realized a startling fact: if there is no God who created me, then I have no purpose. No inherent purpose, no mission in life. If everything is chaos and natural selection, then I'm just a determined entity. I don’t have to worry about “purpose.” There is no purpose. I am free from my existential dilemma. Free at last.
Atheism isn't an attractive prospect because it belies a purpose, mission, or goal of life or that it means a freedom from purpose. More or less, that's a side effect of realizing something entirely different:
That I realized that everything I've been told about god, the bible, and religion is a lie to the same effect as santa claus, pixies, and faeries. I don't believe in god not because I desire freedom, but rather I realized that I've always had freedom because the master of my supposed servitude is a lie.

(August 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: All I have to do is stop believing in God.
No. Windmills do not work that way!

(August 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: I was wondering if any of the atheists in here would like to comment. Have any of you had the same experience?
Absolutely not. I realized the concept of god was a fake long before I realized what the consequences of my lack in belief would be.
(August 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: If life's purpose is just to go to heaven, why not kill yourself?

What are you talking about? Who said it was? Y'all may be right: life may have no purpose whatsoever. In fact, it's easier to live life if it has no purpose, because then you don't have to live up to a purpose. You just have to be. My point is, atheists, real atheists, don't have existential problems--as evidenced by some of the replies right here in this string.

All I asked is whether you noticed that freedom or not. It's almost more telling that everyone dogpiled in to register their "no" vote as quick as they could. Adrian up there posted "no," I think, before I actually published my post!
(August 6, 2010 at 4:51 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: All I asked is whether you noticed that freedom or not. It's almost more telling that everyone dogpiled in to register their "no" vote as quick as they could. Adrian up there posted "no," I think, before I actually published my post!

That was because your first post's implication was that atheists reject god to have the existential freedom you were talking about, whether you actually inteded to say that or not, that's what I've gotten from reading your post.
(August 6, 2010 at 4:51 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: All I asked is whether you noticed that freedom or not.

Oh yes... we are well aware that we (atheists) are free from superstition and dogma. We are well aware that we are free to live our lives without fear. We are well aware that we are free to live our lives as we see fit and that personal happiness comes from within ourselves and from each other (people in general, not just atheists). We have the freedom you talked about and, yes, we are aware of it.

Does that answer your question?

(EDIT: Let me add that the freedom you speak of is not why I am an atheist, but it is a nice side effect.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2712 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3612 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] The Purpose of Pain zwanzig 60 4713 February 9, 2021 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Nogba
  Purpose? Is there any? Seek3r 10 1254 July 23, 2020 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Fireball
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1383 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2059 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Purpose? No idea what it is. Cod 54 7294 November 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3100 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Atheism and purpose in life. Mystic 34 20517 April 23, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2876 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray