Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians, what does this mean?
Christians, what does this mean?
To all the Christians here, what do you make of this?

"God makes situations temporary, cause he is bigger then that"

What the frick does this mean??

All I get is: "God does little things because he's capable of doing bigger things..."

... which makes very little sense.

This is from a facebook convo with a Christian friend of mine.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

RE: Christians, what does this mean?
Quote:"God makes situations temporary, cause he is bigger then that"
bigger than what? situations??? maybe they tried to say, "to god everything is temporary becouse he is eternal."
Quote:"God does little things because he's capable of doing bigger things..."
this i dont know.. both are stupid though..Tongue
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
nah he says it has nothing to do with eternity......

"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

No idea. Context?
Without any context I would haveto assume that "God makes situations temporary" is a reference to the transient and cyclical nature of life as a mortal and ", cause he is bigger then that" would refer to his trascendental and omni nature. Without context..... :S sorry I couldn't be more help.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Well he deleted the original status post from his wall and so I can't get a exact copy of it..

He said something along the lines of: "Not having a job is an issue... but God has made my situation temporary because he's bigger than that."

Frick... I don't remember what I said first... wish he didn't delete the post. (he says he deleted it cause it's not like him to post messages of self-pity on his wall... and he thought he was being hypocritical because he doesn't like it when other people do it. So nothing to do with me picking at his religious interpretations...)

So all I have is what facebook has emailed me... and I don't get emails of what I said...
These are the two comments I got from him:

"no i mean in comparison to God, because God makes situations temporary, cause he is bigger then that"

"well Scott... When you focus on God who rules over all situations its fair to assume that whatever your facing is only there for a limited time only, because God is in controll. So when you compare your situation to God.. It becomes temporary because you focus on the one in controll of it and you come to realise that there is hope because you do know the one who is in control. "

Hope that helps..

Basically, IMO, it comes down to: Have faith you'll be fine because God is in control of your situation... have faith he'll set it right. God is bigger than your circumstance and therefore, simply cause he's all-powerful, you'll be fine.

God as a crutch, is what that's called. It's a coping mechanism.
(August 7, 2010 at 11:18 am)Paul the Human Wrote: God as a crutch, is what that's called. It's a coping mechanism.

That's pretty much all I'm getting from it.

My last comment was something like: Okay, sure... if that's what you believe and it comforts you, then fine. But it makes absolutely no sense to me and I find no meaning in it whatsoever.

The problem with a lot of my Evangelical "Born Again" Christian friends, is they'll pick a verse or anything about God and because it's about God, there's automatically some extra meaning to it.. just because it's about God being all-powerful.. like that's a comfort to them. Most of them I speak to, will be in the middle of explaining something and they'd stop after stumbling on their own words and be all amazed because the awesomeness of God overwhelms them.. and then they stop trying to explain.. as if that was all I needed from them!

Sorry but your little orgasms don't convince me..

You and I can see it as using 'God' as a crutch, because we do not believe that 'God' is real, but for someone that does believe that 'God' is real, the comfort that such thoughts provide is quite real, as is the emotional attachment to the imagined being that provides that comfort. That emotional effectiveness is, in my opinion, the strongest hold that belief in 'God' has on people. You can't expect them to let it be ripped away without a mighty struggle. Freeing oneself from superstitious belief is a gradual process and the emotional attachment is amongst the last to go before the eyes are completely opened, so to speak.
Yes.. I agree very much so. I guess I wish for too much.. or my hopes are simply too high.

It's frustrating cause it really is important to them and it's very real to them. It was why I first accepted Christianity as a general moral support worthy of my respect.. that didn't work very well for me and I contradicted myself quite a bit... I just got really confused..

I of course now merely respect that they believe and that it comforts them... I don't respect what is it they believe......

I'm hoping that works comfortably and makes sense? I'm still working on how to explain that to a Christian..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7782 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14910 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18380 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31180 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What do Christians Mean by "Restoe our Nation?" Rhondazvous 86 9320 February 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
Question Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? Aractus 144 49392 October 9, 2015 at 6:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51123 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christians, where does your allegiance lie? - Jesus Christ or Bible Forsaken 53 14176 February 15, 2015 at 6:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15785 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  What does it mean to "bless" something? Brakeman 36 6534 September 9, 2013 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Brian37