Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
Question 
Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
One of the problems with the Abrahamic god is that he doesn't do anything, despite what the Bible says he should be doing.

Perhaps of even greater concern is that he breaks all of the sacred covenants he makes with us anyway (not that the dispensationalist Xians seems to mind much):
  • Adamic covenant: Yahweh asserts his authority to judge humanity because Adam ate from the tree he told him not to eat from. Supposidly this covenant still applies today, despite the ones I'm about to mention being mothballed by his gloriousness.
  • Noahic covenant: Yahweh tells Noah he can eat meat now (before this humans were vegetarian, according to the Bible), so long as it's kosher. He will also make all animals fear mankind. He will also never again flood the Earth to kill everyone. Yahweh also introduces capital punishment at this time for the crime of murder (in a few generations time he introduces it for homosexual acts and other things too, but for now it's just for murder).
  • Abrahamic covenant: Genesis 15. This is the single most disturbing covenant Yahweh makes, because he blatantly lies to and misleads Abram. He foretells that the Israelite people will be enslaved in Egypt for four hundred years and promises to deliver them, with great possessions, and then to lead them to the land of Canaan, the land where Abraham is now, to possess. In Genesis 17 he renews the covenant with Abram (now Abraham) and tells him that his descendants shall have the whole of the Canaan land to possess as an eternal possession.
  • Yahweh reaffirms this covenant with Moses, and then Joshua, and then David (2 Samuel 7). But it's all a lie. If Yahweh was to tell Abram the truth the first time then he would have said: "Your descendants will be enslaved in Egypt, then I will deliver them, then I'll make them wait 40 years in the desert, then I will give them the Canaan land to possess, and then I will become displeased with them and allow other nations such as Rome to come in and seize control of the land from them".
Even that still wouldn't be the full truth anyway, since there was no Exodus and at no time did the "ancient Israelites" ever possess the whole of the Canaan land that God supposedly promised them.

The New Testament is even more bizarre:

• Jesus gives his disciples the ability to drive out daemons and heal every kind of disease and sickness (Luke 9/Matt 10). This authority is never revoked -
  • In Acts 3 Peter heals a crippled beggar and then in Acts 4 he faces some Jewish leaders and tells them that the man was healed "in the name of Jesus".
  • In Acts 9 Jesus takes away Saul's sight and Ananias heals him after three days: "So Ananias went and entered the house. He laid his hands on Saul and said, 'Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on your way here, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.' And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and his sight was restored." (Acts 9:17-18a).
  • Peter heals a paralysed man named Aeneas: "Peter said to him, 'Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; get up and make your bed!' And immediately he got up." (Acts 9:34)
  • In Acts 14 Paul heals a man who was crippled from birth: "And Paul, looking at him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, 10 said in a loud voice, 'Stand upright on your feet.' And the man sprang up and began to walk." (Acts 19b-10).
  • James says the prayer of a righteous man can heal the sick (James 5).
  • Yahweh is not faithful to his devoted followers: Jesus is crucified, John the Baptist is beheaded, Judas Iscariot hangs himself, Herod has James the son of Zebedee killed by the sword, Simeon and James the Just are stoned to death, Peter is crucified, Paul is executed by the Romans, Nero persecutes the Christians from 64-68AD, and in 70AD the Jerusalem Church is completely destroyed (along with the rest of Jerusalem) as far as anyone can tell. As far as anyone knows, every significant first century church leader was either executed  directly or killed in the Great Revolt - including Barnabas and Luke.
Has this healing covenant also been revoked? It certainly seems so. And the most bizarre thing of all is that the Christians today who still believe quite strongly in healing (the Pentecostals), also believe in the prosperity gospel. As a Christian I never really understood how any could believe in a prosperity gospel when it's so clear that Yahweh allows his most faithful to be persecuted and martyred (which Jesus himself seems to say will happen in see Matt 10:16-23).

Matt 10:23 is yet another broken promise, but this time it's Jesus not Yahweh who makes it:
  • "When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes."
Well has the 'Son of Man' come yet? Nope. Any more towns of Israel left to flee to from persecution? Nup.

So what does the Abrahamic God actually do, if anything?

And why did Christians start fleeing to cities outside of Israel? Jesus said the 'Son of Man' would have come by then.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Dear Christians: What does your god actually do?
He gives me hope.
IOW, nothing.
(September 22, 2015 at 11:04 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: He gives me hope.

Hope as in, "I hope I don't get fucked like everyone Aractus listed did"  ???
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nope - you give yourself hope and justify it by attributing this to your imaginary friend.

That's like me masturbating to a picture of "virgin" Mary and claiming I got a hand-job off of the mother of god.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

And YOU are such an awesome dude that his giving YOU hope actually makes him exist.
Yep, can't save millions from death of starvation. Too busy giving hope.
Whatever it does, it must be doing it very badly. Christians are constantly praying to it, pleading for it to change its plan.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm)Aractus Wrote: One of the problems with the Abrahamic god is that he doesn't do anything, despite what the Bible says he should be doing.
Actually, "his" actions make nice movies. Two days ago I watched "2012". Clap
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
He gives warm fuzzy feelings
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1013 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13134 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5160 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9165 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1686 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7811 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10499 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  No Shitball, It Does Not Violate Your Rights Minimalist 10 2200 April 22, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15021 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18415 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII