Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:54 pm

Poll: How do you feel about affirmative action in the United States
This poll is closed.
Affirmative Action is constitutional and should be expanded
0%
0 0%
Affirmative Action is constitutional and is successful/desirable in its current form
33.33%
1 33.33%
Affirmative Action is constitutional but should be reduced
0%
0 0%
Affirmative Action is constitutional but should be abolished on non-constitutional grounds
0%
0 0%
Affirmative Action is unconstitutional
0%
0 0%
Other/I don't know/Who knows?/Who cares?/Who am I?
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Supreme Court and #BeckyWithTheBadGrades - Affirmative Action in the USA
The Supreme Court and #BeckyWithTheBadGrades - Affirmative Action in the USA
I wanted to post a thread to discuss the US Supreme Court's recent decision in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin (II).  The one-sentence summary is that the Supreme Court upheld the University of Texas's Affirmative Action program.  It's a rather interesting case, and, I think, worthy of discussion.

***Disclaimer*** I know that "affirmative action" threads have a reputation for devolving into debate and invective and the like. My purpose here is to provide info on what the present issue was, what the court did, and what it means going forward, and to possibly have a discussion about some of the legal principals involved (but only if everyone's polite and respectful!).  So, you know... blame me if it all goes to hell.

I've included what I think to be interesting background information on the history of affirmative action in the USA.  If you're caught up on all that and want to skip to what happened yesterday, go past all the hide tags to the #BeckyWithTheBadGrades discussion at the end.

I. Intro/Background on Affirmative Action

II. Affirmative Action Laws/Court Cases Prior to Fisher II

In 1961, President Kennedy issued Executive Order 10925, which required any programs receiving federal funds "to take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and that employees are treated during employment without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin."  Similar ideas were made official in federal law over the next decade, most famously in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The two major affirmative action cases involving university admissions, prior to the ones involving Abigail Fisher and UT Austin, were Regents of the University of California v. Bakke and Grutter v. Bollinger.

II.A: Regents v. Bakke

II.B: Grutter v. Bollinger

III. Abigail Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, Parts 1 and 2

Yesterday's Supreme Court decision arose out of a case that started more than 8 years ago, when Abigail Fisher sued the University of Texas.  Abigail Fisher is a Caucasian resident of Texas who applied to the University of Texas at Austin (one of the better state universities in the country) in 2008.  That year, 29,501 students applied to the university, 12,843 were admitted, and 6,715 ended up attending.  Fisher was one of the ~17,000 who were not accepted.  It later came out that just 47 students were admitted with lower grades than hers, and that 42 of those 47 were white.

III.A: Fisher v. UT Austin (Part 1)

The first case involving Fisher v. UT Austin ("Fisher I") was heard by the Supreme Court in 2013.  Fisher challenged the University's use of race as discriminatory under the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution, which established "equal protection of the law" to all US citizens.  Texas's admissions system, rather similar to Michigan Law School's above (see Grutter v. Bollinger), was as follows:

1. Under Texas state law, anyone who finished in the top 10% of their high school class in Texas was automatically admitted to any public school in the state, including UT Austin.
2. All other candidates were scored on an Academic Index (GPA, SAT scores, etc) and a Personal Achievement Index, which originally "measure[d] a student's leadership and work experience, awards, extracurricular activities, community service, and other special circumstances [including] growing up in a single-parent home, speaking a language other than English at home, significant family responsibilities assumed by the applicant, and the general socioeconomic condition of the student's family." 
3. After the Supreme Court's decision in Grutter v. Bollinger (above), the PAI was amended to explicitly include race.
4. Each applicant's AI and PAI scores were plotted on a graph, and a diagonal line was drawn.  Anyone over the line was admitted, and anyone under the line was rejected.

The District Court granted summary judgment to UT Austin, dismissing Fisher's case.  On appeal, the Fifth Circuit (known as the most conservative in the USA) affirmed, agreeing that this policy was constitutional.

The Supreme Court ruled 7-1 that the Fifth Circuit had not applied the proper standard to the case (strict scrutiny), and sent it back down (Elena Kagan had worked on the case before she was on the Supreme Court and had to recuse, hence 8 votes instead of 9).  Essentially, the Supreme Court said nothing about whether UT Austin's program was constitutional; rather, they said that the lower courts did not evaluate the question properly, and sent the case back to them with clarifying instructions.

III.B: Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin (Part 2)

Fisher II was argued on December 9, 2015, and the Supreme Court announced its decision yesterday, June 23, 2016.  The question was whether the admissions scheme, described above, was constitutional under Bakke, Bollinger, and the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution.  A panel of 7 Justices (Kagan recused, Scalia deceased) found, 4-3, that UT Austin's affirmative action program is constitutional.

The Supreme Court held that the following 3 principles, essentially the instructions it gave when it remanded Fisher I back to the lower courts, applied:
1) "[A] university may not consider race 'unless... it [can] show that its 'purpose or interest is both constitutionally permissible and substantial, and that its use of the classification is necessary' to accomplish that purpose."  (This is what is meant by Strict Scrutiny)
2) "[T]he decision to pursue the educational benefits that flow from student body diversity is, in substantial measure, an academic judgment to which some, but not complete, judicial deference is proper."  Essentially, universities have to be able to make their own policies, and if a university thinks that diversity is good, the assumption is that it is.
3) "[W]hen determining whether the use of race is narrowly tailored to achieve the university's permissible goals, the school bears the burden of demonstrating that 'available' and 'workable' 'race-neutral alternatives' do not suffice."  Essentially, although the government should give the university the benefit of the doubt when it says diversity is a compelling goal, the university gets no benefit of the doubt on how it accomplishes that diversity, and must prove that it can't meet its goals without considering race.

The Supreme Court ultimately stated that Fisher had not shown she was denied equal protection of the law because of the University's rejection of her application.  The Court found, of the University's program:
1) It could not, as Fisher had demanded, more specifically articulate what the "critical mass" of diversity it desired was, because that would be the kind of quota-making disallowed in Bakke.
2) The University had clear goals - "promoting 'cross-racial understanding,' preparing students for 'an increasingly diverse workforce and society,' and cultivating leaders with 'legitimacy in the eyes of the citizenry'" - that could only be met through some measure of racial diversity.
3) Statistically, the University was able to show that the 10% law - a race-neutral policy - did not increase minority, whereas the race policy enacted in 2004 did; thus, the University was only able to accomplish its goals by using race.
4) Fisher pointed to the fact that including race, statistically, only made a small difference in the number of minority students admitted; the Court actually said this meant it was a good program, because it wasn't too overbroad.

III.C: #BeckyWithTheBadGrades

The hash-tag "#BeckyWithTheGoodHair" sprung up in the aftermath of Beyoncé's recent album "Lemonade", and that has humorously been coopted by Twitter, ahem, commentators on Fisher v. Texas, who have taken to calling Abigail Fisher #BeckyWithTheBadGrades.  As noted above, her admissions marks were rather terrible compared to the group of people who got in; even people who strongly believe that affirmative action is improper have sided against her, saying that she is not the sort of plaintiff who should be making the argument.

IV. Where Do We Go From Here?

Well, that's the discussion of what happened in the Supreme Court yesterday, in particular, and affirmative action in the USA, generally.  I've tried to be extremely neutral in my post above, so now I'll say where I come out on the issue: I am absolutely in favor of affirmative action, for the goal of increasing diversity in the university setting.  I am less convinced about the "redressing past issues" rationale, although by no means do I think it's bunk; rather, I think that it probably shouldn't be the main driver of affirmative action (that is, the main goal should be accruing the fruits of diversity for the benefit of all matriculants, rather than trying to bestow benefits on certain portions of matriculants, which is a laudable secondary benefit).

Thoughts on the Supreme Court case, the legal status of affirmative action in the USA, or - *gulp* - affirmative action in general?

Please please please respectful and nice and thoughtful and such
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: The Supreme Court and #BeckyWithTheBadGrades - Affirmative Action in the USA
Sources:

Wikipedia: Affirmative Action in the United States
Regents v. Bakke
Grutter v. Bollinger
Fisher v. UT Austin (I)
Fisher v. UT Austin (II)
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: The Supreme Court and #BeckyWithTheBadGrades - Affirmative Action in the USA
According to the stats the university had 6,128 available slots that went unfilled. So why didn't the dummies fill those empty slots with students that had applied but been rejected on a first come, first served program?

What the whiner is complaining about is that she didn't get in because 5 minority students got in who had lower grades than hers. She wasn't bitching about the 42 white students with lower grades than hers that got in, but she's whining about the .0744% minority group that was admitted ahead of her and not a peep about the 6,128 slots that went unfilled.

Where's than damn asteroid!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1016 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some Iranian commanded Attack to USA . AVMXF 47 2601 August 25, 2023 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sovereign citizen - more Loony Tunes in the USA Ferrocyanide 20 2002 March 20, 2023 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Yellow alert: warning USA in danger Eclectic 105 8033 November 25, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 936 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court... Rev. Rye 7 521 May 27, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1754 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1319 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 247 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1137 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb