Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's good to be among friends!
It's good to be among friends!
Hello everyone, I'm Adam, damned glad to meet you. I haven't contributed much to the atheist community in the last few years when I have truly considered myself an atheist, because I didn't feel ready to. The opposition does not come well armed but they do come in numbers and with an irrational mind. To that end I believe our most effective tool in discussing our views with dissenters is to think critically about our what we say and why.

I never liked the reputation that atheists have and I never quite understood why this reputation was given us. I was raised as a secular Jew and went through all the normal Jewish upbringing traditions. Luckily I never had to believe in my religion and it was always my choice to pursue the spiritual aspects, our focus was on family and having traditions to hand down. Atheism came to me as I imagine it might have come to many people, through a thorough study of religion! Science education and religious study revealed the false assumptions and complete lack of substance that exists in every religious doctrine I've ever come across. Atheism doesn't demand anything, it doesn't require any set of rules, it simply says that God is rejected as the answer to the universe without supporting evidence. I don't understand the anger that is expressed towards atheists except as an insecurity in the attacker's own beliefs.

Looking forward to disagreeing and talking with you all!

My religion is the understanding of my world. My god is the energy that underlies it all. My worship is my constant endeavor to unravel the mysteries of my religion. Thinking
RE: It's good to be among friends!
(August 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: I never liked the reputation that atheists have and I never quite understood why this reputation was given us.

It's because believers are a bunch of shits who can't stand the fact that we reject their silly god and have no trouble with life as a result. We are a living testimonial to the ineptitude of their god and they really can't stand it.

Shalom, Adam.
Welcome, indeed! As you can see from perusing the forums, we have a few theist members that keep us on our toes and a few that provide comic relief, but overall you'll find that it's a community where you can feel free to speak your mind, so long as you don't mind it when others respond in kind. It stays pretty civil for the most part, though there are moments that things get heated, as well. Enjoy!
Hello, and welcome! Have fun!
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
welcome.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(August 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: I don't understand the anger that is expressed towards atheists except as an insecurity in the attacker's own beliefs.

QFT

Welcome Adam
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Quote:Looking forward to disagreeing and talking with you all!

I like you already.Big Grin

Welcome.
Hola amigo!
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Agnostic among Atheists doomed 43 9128 November 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  hallo friends! isingthereforeiam 18 2640 May 2, 2016 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Joods
  Hello all of my new logical thinking friends! lezbehonest 52 5981 August 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
Tongue Looking for some atheists friends,Would like to widen my skills in debating. MountainsWinAgain 16 3203 May 22, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hello Dear Friends Cheerful Charlie 11 2708 August 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello Friends HAL9000 24 2937 June 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
Smile Hello, so nice to be among a community of fellow freethinkers dk2852 11 2654 March 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Good morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night! Kirbmarc 16 5588 October 29, 2012 at 4:05 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends! Chemelonique 25 7618 July 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Hello again, my old friends. Azazylix 12 3179 December 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman