Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zen Buddhism
Zen Buddhism
Anyone out there subscribe to a secular form of meditating? Particularly zen or mindfulness?
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Zen Buddhism
I like to watch boats at night, not sure if that qualifies as meditation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 5, 2016 at 6:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I like to watch boats at night, not sure if that qualifies as meditation.

Boru

Well I guess if you're being mindful about it...like relieving stress...that would be mindfulness.  Big Grin
Please don't try to shoehorn my simple pleasure into your Buddhist rubbish.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yep. Not religiously... pardon the pun... but sometimes.
(July 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Please don't try to shoehorn my simple pleasure into your Buddhist rubbish.

Boru

You suggested it.  Though we are using the word "buddhist" doesn't mean that the act of deep breathing is rubbish. I'm not even buddhist. I was just wondering if anyone meditates for stress or practices mindfulness.  Facepalm
The closest I get to meditation is sleep.

Unless yoga counts.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 5, 2016 at 6:45 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: The closest I get to meditation is sleep.

Unless yoga counts.

Yoga helps a lot. I especially like the kind with fruit in the bottom of the little cup.

Boru
(July 5, 2016 at 6:42 pm)Emjay Wrote: Yep. Not religiously... pardon the pun... but sometimes.

Yeah me neither. I tried to get into a meditation group but it started to become religious and uncomfortable. Phrase like "expanding consciousness," "we are all god and god is us," and then some really like the SRF (Self Realization Fellowship)...and then half of them believed in conspiracies and literal aliens and inter planetary communication. Grrrr. haha. I'm like...anyone here to meditate because you're stressed out or need some quiet time?  FSM Grin
(July 5, 2016 at 6:45 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: The closest I get to meditation is sleep.

Unless yoga counts.

It wasn't really until Little Rik came along that I even realised Yoga was a religion/philosophy rather than just a way to give yourself a blowjob  Big Grin

ETA: To clarify, I've never done yoga... that's just what it looks like it's good for Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 651 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2095 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Christians invade Buddhism BlackSwordsman 6 1761 May 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: archangle
  Buddhism, against having fun. CapnAwesome 58 20837 December 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome