Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Expanse
The Great Expanse
Post-modern scifi enthusiasts, steam punks, apocalypsos, eventists..

I would like to discuss the future of humanity. SO please make your comments, something of thoughtful substance, if you feel like making only brief comments.

There must be someone here you plans on looking at the pragmatic approach to space endeavors, the values of investment, means of dodging corruption, viable alternatives to energy and objectives, the political and economic structure. The science.

Anyone here interested in Humanities future? I mean enthusiasts ~ not the kid who stumbled in and say, "OH :o I guess so."
... are their any interestingly enthused members on this forum to discuss this analytically?
RE: The Great Expanse
The future is fucked.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Especially in the US at the moment
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(July 11, 2016 at 11:32 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: The future is fucked.

Fuck-ture.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Well, there's a very good chance we'll create a thing that's 10 000 times smarter than us at least, in this century, and no one seems to be worried about it, but other than that what else is there?
Not completely sure where this thread is going, but I am recently fascinated by global warming, and kind of wonder if before I die, there will be a new Guiness record for high air temperature, and it won't be in Death Valley, but, say, Las Vegas.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I should be involved in the development of AI. I can make a robot smarter than 15% of the kids today.
(July 11, 2016 at 11:48 pm)Complidudaaldo Wrote: I should be involved in the development of AI. I can make a robot smarter than 15% of the kids today.

I doubt it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Well, that's not very promising, Duda.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(July 11, 2016 at 11:48 pm)Complidudaaldo Wrote: I should be involved in the development of AI. I can make a robot smarter than 15% of the kids today.

The problem is not with making it smarter, the bigger problem is making it safe. Given how much money and resources are thrown in the direction of making it smarter, we'll certainly get there unless we nuke ourselves, or stop making better computers, the latter of which is pretty unlikely. And so we might end up even tomorrow(small chance of that happening) or in twenty years(significantly bigger chance) with something so smart it's not even funny. And hardly anyone worries about keeping it under control from there. They all focus on the benefits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some great news Apollo 11 986 December 7, 2020 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Great (movie) Speeches onlinebiker 12 2062 September 6, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1125 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  It's a great relief purplepurpose 20 3317 December 8, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Cod
  The Great AF Literary Masterpiece The Valkyrie 9 699 December 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Something Great Happened To Me Today... ReptilianPeon 2 968 October 2, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  PBS is great!! Jehanne 24 2266 September 12, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Once you pop...that's great! c172 19 2644 November 24, 2017 at 4:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Great Nerd Debate: Sith or Jedi The Valkyrie 27 8141 September 13, 2017 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The Great Debate The Valkyrie 26 7728 June 13, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious