Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is gods fundamental nature?
What is gods fundamental nature?
Is god in stasis or is he dynamic in that he has internal processes and acts. If he is in stasis then how did he do the things he is claimed to have done. If he is dynamic than he must exist in an environment which includes time because dynamic events only unfold in time, and if in time then he must exist in a universe and be finite, therefore not god.
RE: What is gods fundamental nature?
God is infinite and eternal. Since our only experiece is with things that are finite and temporal we don't have any categories which can adequately describe God.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Gods fundamental nature is the same as homer simpsons, its just fiction.

Not very good fiction at that

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

and some of his actions(like great flood) are just seems like homer simpson's doing..
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
(August 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm)theophilus Wrote: God is infinite and eternal. Since our only experiece is with things that are finite and temporal we don't have any categories which can adequately describe God.

Sir this is a deeply frustrating response. Apparently we were created in his image and as he is immaterial therefore the only thing we share with god is our natures, so he can't be that mysterious. Your response is an appeal to mysticism and carries as much Intellectual weight as 'crystal healing' and astrology.

You have failed to address my point if a being exists outside of time he is by definition in stasis and cannot act. If a being is in time and can act he is in the universe and not infinite and not god. Which is it?
I don't know...Perhaps if you had better grammar and spelling it would help. That's not meant to be an insult, but I simply can't figure out what you're asking.
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
Quote:Is god in stasis or is he dynamic in that he has internal processes and acts

To which God do your refer? Less than 1/3 of humanity worships the Abrahamic God.

Honest answer; not something I've thought about so far,and not something about which I will begin to think. Not believing in gods,I'm as interested in speculating as I am about Prince Charles' bowel movements. Angel Cloud
(August 11, 2010 at 5:05 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: Is god in stasis or is he dynamic in that he has internal processes and acts. If he is in stasis then how did he do the things he is claimed to have done. If he is dynamic than he must exist in an environment which includes time because dynamic events only unfold in time, and if in time then he must exist in a universe and be finite, therefore not god.

I would say, IMO I'd say God would be dynamic. Where your arguement breaks down is that you're presupposing a dynamic being governed by the laws of cause and affect and therefore being constrained by time. If such a being existed that started the universe he would, by defiition be outside the constraints of our understanding of time. Secondly you're presupposing a universe must be finite. Whether it's finite or infinite doesn't matter because from our perspective we can only use the laws and axioms of this known universe whch wouldn't necessarily apply outside of this one.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(August 13, 2010 at 12:20 am)tackattack Wrote:
(August 11, 2010 at 5:05 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: Is god in stasis or is he dynamic in that he has internal processes and acts. If he is in stasis then how did he do the things he is claimed to have done. If he is dynamic than he must exist in an environment which includes time because dynamic events only unfold in time, and if in time then he must exist in a universe and be finite, therefore not god.

I would say, IMO I'd say God would be dynamic. Where your arguement breaks down is that you're presupposing a dynamic being governed by the laws of cause and affect and therefore being constrained by time. If such a being existed that started the universe he would, by defiition be outside the constraints of our understanding of time. Secondly you're presupposing a universe must be finite. Whether it's finite or infinite doesn't matter because from our perspective we can only use the laws and axioms of this known universe whch wouldn't necessarily apply outside of this one.
I would agree that the rhetoric around all gods suggest they are indeed dynamic. But you will have to show why a being that is dynamic and not yet not caught on time, is not just special pleading and therefore a fallacious response.
A being that is dynamic, either mechanically or analytically, predisposes that the being is within the reactionary construct we call cause and effect which is indeed time based. If this being did indeed create start of the universe and thuly the construct of time, directly or indirectly, then it would be fallicious and intellectually dishonest to limit him to those constraints. The fact it's hard to imagine a being both dynamic yet premptinng causality is one of the reasons Christians attibute such an absolute value to God. He then therefore has the consistency of a static absolute while the dynamic power to affect causality.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the nature of sin Drich 137 18391 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fundamental Arrogance in Christianity Redoubtable 113 12156 March 4, 2017 at 8:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Elohim and Yahweh are 2 Different Gods Rhondazvous 29 11257 May 17, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Debunking the "Dying and Rising Gods" Theory Randy Carson 55 15896 September 22, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Gods love letter to you evar 2 1608 August 2, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Exodus, Gods and Kings. Jacob(smooth) 34 8759 July 5, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God's Nature and character Simon Moon 76 7646 July 31, 2014 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: CindysRain
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12175 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  My Testimony of the One true Gods existance and grace JesusSaves 1 1467 April 12, 2013 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Gods forgiveness is worthless. downbeatplumb 54 24466 March 5, 2013 at 11:40 am
Last Post: ronedee