Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elohim and Yahweh are 2 Different Gods
Elohim and Yahweh are 2 Different Gods
I always thought Elohim and Yahweh were just two different names for the same god, but according to the bible they are two entirely different gods.

In Exodus 33:20:21 god tells Moses that no man can see his face and live. According to the interlinear bible the god here is Yahweh.

But in Exodus 24:9-11 74 men go up and see god. The god they see is Elohim according to the interlinear bible.

Drat! Another perfectly good contradiction bites the dust. So no this is not a contradiction of whether we can see god or not. This is a contradiction of whether there is only one god or not.

It gets even deeper when we realize that the god of Genesis chapter 1 is e;phim, but in chaper 2 yahweh is doing the creating. Does this mean there are two different creations? In fact, we don’t see Adam in chapter 1

These are two different gods, two different accounts and the biblical translators cleverly hid this by lumping it all under the name ‘god.’
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Elohim and Yahweh are 2 Different Gods
Elohim is a plural on god isn't it?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
There's about seven different God characters in the Old Testament.
god is/was a juvenile delinquent and needed several alias.

god being a petulant child would certainly explain a lot.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yahweh was originally a war god from a Pantheon led by a god called Elohim. Or maybe just El. Elohim may have meant the lesser gods under El. In any case, it's not just two names for the same god.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The Christian pantheon? Oh this is getting deep. I need my smelling salts.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
A Canaanite one. Christianity wasn't a thing yet.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

El simply means "god". There is some evidence (not conclusive, but highly suggestive) from Ugaritic (a kingdom just north of Canaan) texts that El was the primary God, who ruled over a council of gods, the Elohim (plural of god, so "gods") some of whom were "patron" gods of a particular people. Among this council of gods was the War/Storm deity YHW, the Hebrews likely picked up from the Edomites (the people of Jethro, Moses' father-in-law), and adopted as their divine protector of the Israelites. [ETA: This is particularly important, since the modern evidence is that the Hebrews did not originate as their "Origin Story" suggests, but instead were an amalgamation of various Semitic peoples in the Canaan region, unified under the culture/religion that became known as Judaism.] There is also evidence that early Hebrews also worshiped Ashera, the wife/consort of YHW, before later reformers "glued together" the council of gods into a monotheistic religion and excised her from more than a passing mention in the surviving Old Testament.

There is also evidence that the deity YHW was worshiped in southern/upper Egypt (Nubia), with an archaeological find that mentions "the Shasu of YHW", and possibly was worshiped across a broad region. http://jandyongenesis.blogspot.com/2013/...moses.html

The "Al" in Allah is also related to the word "El", and you guessed it, means "god".

As you picked up on, the deity mention in Genesis 1 is El or Elohim (the primary god or the council of gods), to which is "copy-pasted" a later account, in Genesis 2, which attributes the same actions to Yahweh, at the time the Redactors were putting together the unified, monotheistic Judaism we know today.

Modern apologists explain this by saying that Elohim is simply a "royal we", rather than the simple plural form "gods" that would be used in any other context, but I find this explanation to be wishful thinking/mental gymnastics.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

YHVH is the Supreme Being (God Transcendent) that presides over the Divine Council. Elohim refers to the Divine Council.
Yahweh is an adopted poser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Early_History_of_God

Quote:Smith says that Israelite culture was largely Canaanite in origin, and that deities such as El, Baal and Asherah, far from being alien to the Israelites, formed part of their heritage. He therefore sees Israelite monolatry (the insistence that Israel should worship one god, Yahweh, but without denying the reality of other gods) as a break with Israel's own past.

Yahweh, he argues, originated in Edom/Midian/Teman as a warrior-god and was subsequently assimilated into the highland pantheon headed by El and his consort, Asherah and populated by Baal and other deities

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2248 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2445 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2573 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Time to Play...WHO'S WORSE THAN YAHWEH! Astonished 37 11174 September 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  are there different versions of the 10 commandments ? yampampuza 31 10149 April 21, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If Yahweh exists, is he a fraud? Cecelia 33 5266 November 17, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4831 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Debunking the "Dying and Rising Gods" Theory Randy Carson 55 15809 September 22, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Gods love letter to you evar 2 1593 August 2, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Exodus, Gods and Kings. Jacob(smooth) 34 8709 July 5, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist