Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good intentions -- how much do they mean to you?
Good intentions -- how much do they mean to you?
To me good intentions mean an awful lot. There are so many shitty people in this world and it means the world to me when people mean well. And some people go far beyond good intentions in that they are just such incredibly compassionate and empathetic people. It all means so much to me. When I know someone cares and they show it, it makes me smile. Sometimes it really is the thought that counts Smile
RE: Good intentions -- how much do they mean to you?
I don't know how to politely respond to this thread without sounding sarcastic.
I agree. It's one of the most beautiful and uplifting things I can experience. Especially when I'm depressed and thinking of all the horror in the world, it makes it that little bit easier to cope when I see genuine kindness, whatever the result. Especially kindness that gets and expects nothing in return.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Good intentions/actions with no forethought are not always good. This should not stop the act but it may temper it.

xtians that "god bless me" have good intentions. xtians that "god bless me" knowing that I'm an atheist, not so good.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I heard that the road to hell was paved with them. Tongue

Good intentions are fine, but they can cause people to do horrible things. They think they're helping, even though they're not, which allows them to sleep easy at night while they hurt other people.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The message I'm getting from this is that good intentions are of course better than bad intentions. But if they are ever used to excuse negative behavior that probably devalues them. Would that be fair to say do you think?
I'm not one to say "the road to hell was paved with good intentions" (though I like the saying). But I put much more weight on good actions. And one of the best such actions is listening. Asking that person what you can do for them instead of just insisting on doing something specific because good intentions.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(July 23, 2016 at 10:16 am)Chad32 Wrote: I heard that the road to hell was paved with them. Tongue

Good intentions are fine, but they can cause people to do horrible things. They think they're helping, even though they're not, which allows them to sleep easy at night while they hurt other people.

Pretty much nailed it, I think (though I kind of responded before reading the thread).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I hate to sound like a dick, but they mean very little to me. If someone has good intentions but bad results, the results are the same. Almost everybody has good intentions, almost everybody thinks they are good people. Whether or not they actually are is different.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
All the good intentions in the world won't make a poor outcome a good one.  All the bad intentions in the world won't make a good outcome a poor one.  I'd take a villain that accidentally betters the lives of the people around them over a do-gooder who can't. Similarly, I wouldn't mind living in a better world chock full of assholes, measured by result rather than intent. I -already- live in a world chock full of assholes, positively bursting with good intentions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1596 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  What does your username mean? vulcanlogician 46 2597 February 11, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  How much do you weigh? Foxaèr 39 2197 November 30, 2021 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1061 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 5836 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  How much electricity do your appliances use? Jehanne 4 483 April 17, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7103 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2596 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Do you start people at ten, or do they need to earn it? J a c k 53 4843 November 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Do all Atheists love dogs as much as my hubs? The Atheists Wife 62 6135 November 17, 2017 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist