Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Everyone!
Hello Everyone!
My name is Mike or Driggs. I am from Casper, Wyoming, although I grew up mostly in southwest Florida. My family is all from either Alabama or Georgia, so the whole atheist/agnostic thing is usually avoided at gatherings (which are rare thankfully). My immediate family (on the other hand) is light years away from those baptists and pentacostals. I was raised by my mother and grandmother. My mother is an excommunicated ex-mormon (for having me outside wedlock), and my grandmother is a militant atheist. My mother became a mormon as a teenager, much to my grandmother's chagrin; especially when she went to BYU (although I suspect that was as much about football as it was religion, I can imagine my grandmother driving through Provo UT screaming "Joseph Smith was a liar! Roll tide".) I personally don't think I ever believed in god. I am now thirty years old; I did go to an ELCA Lutheran church for a few years in my teens, but I only went because my friend's dad was the pastor, they had a pool table, and I got to go on the Sunday school trips for free. I know that makes me seem like a freeloader, but I was fifteen or younger and I just wanted to hang out with my friends. I was always up front with the Pastor on my beliefs. I have always been fascinated by religion, the rituals, the mythologies, the rules, the hierarchies of both the gods and the clergy, and the influences of climate, culture, and other religious traditions have had on different religions. (Note: when i say religion I include Greek mythology, christianity, islam, hinduism, all belief systems to be the same, I will use religion to refer to the whole culture surrounding the belief system, and mythology to refer to the deities and stories.) I think religion is one of the most dangerous things we have to deal with in society. I say it fascinates me, it does, but so do nuclear weapons. It frightens the hell out of me that we may use nukes because of religion! I'm not the militant atheist my grandmother is, I instead try to pass on logic and common sense. Sadly her way may be more effective. I can't remember who said that "the beginning of faith is the end of logic", but he was correct. I currently live back in my hometown. I look forward to intelligent dialogue (and some frustrated name-calling) and hope I can offer something as well.
RE: Hello Everyone!
Welcome from Tennessee!

Hope you join in! You sound like an interesting chap.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome from ze Germany!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome to the forum.

My stepfather was born, and buried, in Casper. Nice little town, but I wouldn't want to imagine being atheist there.

Hello and welcome. Smile
Heya Driggs, glad to see you made it on! Welcome to AF Big Grin
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Ah, so this is the infamous smapper?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Yes he's a filthy spambot Big Grin

Jk Angel
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Welcome Mike.
You sound very level headed and generally well rounded.

Are rare one indeed! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Nice to meet you Mike! Thanks for introducing yourself Smile

I hope you enjoy it here! Let us know if you need any help.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1412 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2174 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5647 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1891 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7838 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3836 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1231 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2383 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
Brick Hello to everyone Wryetui 23 4336 May 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm