Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
myth vs religion!!!!!
myth vs religion!!!!!
right, I was reading "religion explained" and there was a reference to the ancient (was it norse?) myth about thor and his magic hammer and how that created lighting. that got me thinking - instead of giving all this verbal authority to theistic beliefs by calling em "the Buddhist tradition" , "the biblical accounts", "the Jewish religion", it's much more "sterile" to say stuff like:

Quote:"in the christian mythology, christ died for our sins"
"according to Islamic mythology, Mohamed was the prophet of a god called Allah"
"in the Buddhist mythology, Buddha was a prince who became enlightened"

consciousness raising I tell ya

and this is not "insulting", indeed according to thefreedictionary.com
Quote:myth (mth)
a. A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and Psyche; a creation myth.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/myth

god I feel so atheistic right now...
RE: myth vs religion!!!!!
Basically this thread is 'Myth vs Myth'
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(August 15, 2010 at 6:45 am)Shinylight Wrote: Basically this thread is 'Myth vs Myth'

it's about language use/ consciousness raising. to not use authoritative words that give theism power like "tradition","faith","account", "religion", etc etc instead to use "myth", "mythology", etc
that way, especially if you are talking to theists you are not giving the other side the aura of credulity
(August 15, 2010 at 6:50 am)yuriythebest Wrote:
(August 15, 2010 at 6:45 am)Shinylight Wrote: Basically this thread is 'Myth vs Myth'

it's about language use/ consciousness raising. to not use authoritative words that give theism power like "tradition","faith","account", "religion", etc etc instead to use "myth", "mythology", etc
that way, especially if you are talking to theists you are not giving the other side the aura of credulity

I prefer to use "fairy tale" when tailking about the religious stories, they do the same job and contain the same amount of "fact".

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

No you're right, people shouldn't treat them as true.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
"Religion" is synonymous with "myth" to me.
(August 15, 2010 at 10:59 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: "Religion" is synonymous with "myth" to me.
to you yes, sure. however when talking with laypeople or theists they sometimes may have a different opinion of how "religion deserves respect and should not be criticized yadda yadda" and calling stuff, say, in the bible "mythology" reframes it.

Sure, go ahead. Great
There is no myth vs. religion since religion is myth.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I think Myths are the origin and death of religions. A myth can turn either to legend or to religion, they are both still myths in this regard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4232 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  The myth of atheist core believe. The Lion Roar 102 18132 June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evisceration of the Exodus myth goodwithoutgod 33 12020 October 12, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Myth of The Angry Atheist brewer 35 8191 July 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16557 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Debunking the myth of the Karmma Ephrium 12 20113 June 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Rain Wilber