Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with petition on change.org
Help with petition on change.org
I wanted to start petition myself but English not being my first language and constant glitches on change.org site on my android tablet gave me an idea that I need help.

Petition is about adding a new standard of packs in the shops. Reusable packing for food and other supermarket products. Like already existing for mineral water.

Post link to your petition here so we could choose the best one if multiple petitions will be made. Plus 5 votes are needed to make petition public on change.org
RE: Help with petition on change.org
Hmmm.... You expect people to write a petition for you, based on 2 sentences? How about you elaborate a little - your English should be sufficient for that. Why should there be reusable packaging of food in supermarkets? What kinds of packaging are you talking about? Plastic? Aluminium? Glass? How much is this going to cost?

Unless you yourself try to convince anyone, to support your idea - how do you know it is a good one?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Material and costs are up to producer's to decide. But it will be cheaper for everyone if there will be individual reusable packages. Nobody will have to throw out plastic and glass bottles, which aren't 100% recycled.
[Image: 62838576.jpg]
(August 5, 2016 at 5:41 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Material and costs are up to producer's to decide.

Well - this is extremely important. It's easy to ask for something, but if it turns out to be expensive - we'll all have to pay for it. So, tell me - what kind of materials are you imagining they should be using?

(August 5, 2016 at 5:41 am)purplepurpose Wrote: But it will be cheaper for everyone if there will be individual reusable packages.

How so? You do know, that recycling costs money, right? Reusable packaging has to be collected, transported, sorted, cleaned and processed in all sorts of ways, then transported again - that's a heavy financial burden and it's also bad for the environment, due to carbon emissions (because as of now most of our energy still comes from fossil fuels). If it was cheaper to go with reusable stuff - the corporations would already be doing that, because they're very much interested in cutting costs, believe me.

(August 5, 2016 at 5:41 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Nobody will have to throw out plastic and glass bottles, which aren't 100% recycled.

No, we will have to pay for all the stuff I described above. What would be the benefit? Besides letting dumb hippies pretend they're "saving the planet", even though they're doing the exact opposite?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Supermarket customers will bring their own reusable packages that they will clean.

Throwing out plastic and glass for it never to be recycled is the worst scenario anyway.

Recyclable material is transported, cleaned and stored as well.
My suggestion is that you write it and start it and in your request you ask if anybody can help on change.org.
I've seen that done on change.org before.
Good on you for wanting to make a change and being willing to try to do something about it.
(August 5, 2016 at 5:10 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Petition is about adding a new standard of packs in the shops. Reusable packing for food and other supermarket products. Like already existing for mineral water.

If this is what you mean, we already have it in Australia:

[Image: nojL1nY.jpg]

According to that same link, the one Woolies uses are from recycled material. Although, styrofoam trays are still used for some products in the major chains, and the 'independents' still use them exclusively. You must realise rolling out PET trays for meat & vegetables can't be done all at once they need to be "phased-in", a smart approach might be to get the regulator involved to help phase out the styrofoam trays thereby forcing all supermarkets and other food businesses to use PET trays exclusively.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(August 5, 2016 at 7:11 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Supermarket customers will bring their own reusable packages that they will clean.

That would be extremely unhygienic. The first moron, who didn't clean his container properly and then got poisoned would sue the supermarket and that would be the end of that.

Sure - I imagine certain things could be sold this way, like eggs, or dry goods, but that would be quite impractical and would slow down shopping significantly. It would also require shops to have way more staff on hand to do all the packing. And it would potentially be more wasteful, due to all the extra handling of the products causing more spillage.

(August 5, 2016 at 7:11 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Throwing out plastic and glass for it never to be recycled is the worst scenario anyway.

Well, no - there could be way worse "scenarios", like burning the stuff, for example, but that's neither here nor there, because no one sane would propose that at this point (although I'm sure there are people all over the world doing exactly that, right now). Properly managed land-fills are perhaps not the ideal long term solution, but it's not nearly the problem it's made out to be.

(August 5, 2016 at 7:11 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Recyclable material is transported, cleaned and stored as well.

Not sure what's your point. Yes - recycling involves all this, which is why it costs money, in most cases - more than producing new packaging does. Also - many recyclables, like paper for example, can only be reused as lower quality product and require many chemical processes (like bleaching), which produces chemical waste, polluting water. Not all the recycling is equally beneficial and some of it is outright harmful.

To continue with the paper example - fresh paper is made of wood. If we buy it - we create incentive for businesses to invest in tree-farms, which - just like forests - are a carbon sink and produce oxygen, for years, before being harvested.
If you buy recycled paper - there's less incentive to plant more trees.

On the other aluminium is very good for recycling, mainly because it can be indefinitely reused with virtually no loss in quality and also because we have a very finite amount of it available on Earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When did this change? onlinebiker 6 429 October 4, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Truck driver petition. Jehanne 6 425 December 31, 2021 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 807 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I could change my username again...... Foxaèr 29 1518 June 7, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Color is the nonphysical and nonauditorial change in ones surroundings Heat 3 366 March 10, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  My username change Foxaèr 41 6046 May 1, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Joods
Lightbulb Things that change us *Deidre* 62 13492 April 16, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  The power of change Foxaèr 11 1555 April 1, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Star Trek Fans on AF.org vulcanlogician 66 4558 March 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheistforums.org sucks... FirstPoet 20 2659 December 24, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Brian37