Play "Cards Against Atheist Forums" online now!
Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 24th June 2017, 22:00

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would evidence of a God even look like?
What would evidence of a God even look like?
I'm talking about any kind of Gods here. I notice that we, atheists, generally tell theists they should show some evidence for their claims. I'm wondering, is any sort of evidence even possible? What kind of evidence could conceivably prove the existence of a supernatural being that created everything?

What would that even look like? 

This goes back to why I became an atheist in the first place. The original argument that propelled my atheism seems very solid to me even now, and might even justify a position of strong atheism. Thing is, given the nature of what we're talking about with theism, I really don't think it's a question science(in the "traditional" sense) can or should even attempt to answer. I think it's more of a philosophical question, if you will.

My argument goes like this. If there's a God that created the Universe(the Universe being everything in existence) then this God is either a part of the Universe or the Universe itself. It can't be merely a part of it, since it created it, so it must be the Universe itself. But then, there's no use calling it God. You might as well do away with the shady language and call it what it is. Nature, Universe, Cosmos. Whatever your secular preference.

Thoughts?
RE: What would evidence of a God even look like?
I would assume evidence for a god would be something that can't be explained naturally. Gods do not stand on clouds and throw lightning bolts at the world, for instance. Some consistent benefit that a follower of a certain god has, that no one else has. If a christian's life was always better than a non christian's, then most of the world would convert so they get the same benefit.

People worship other gods, and not the "true" god, so whatever they're praying to must give them the same benefit that the real one does. People have to rely on interpretations to learn anything about a god they're supposed to have a personal relationship with? There's just no concrete consistency there.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The sudden disappearance of all cancers. Or an enormous foot sticking out of the clouds.
No guys, what you described wouldn't be evidence for Gods. It would just be a couple of interesting phenomena with no apparent explanation.
(14th August 2016, 18:34)Excited Penguin Wrote: No guys, what you described wouldn't be evidence for Gods. It would just be a couple of interesting phenomena with no apparent explanation.

I kept it short. here is another.. an enormous note pad dropping to earth with the words eradicate cancer crossed out.
Once the evidence is there, then we can decide what the evidence is supposed to look like. Before then, describing the non-existent evidence is pointless. We can only say what kind of evidence we won't accept.
(14th August 2016, 18:38)Jesster Wrote: Once the evidence is there, then we can decide what the evidence is supposed to look like. Before then, describing the non-existent evidence is pointless. We can only say what kind of evidence we won't accept.

That's being a little closeminded, to say the least.
(14th August 2016, 18:39)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(14th August 2016, 18:38)Jesster Wrote: Once the evidence is there, then we can decide what the evidence is supposed to look like. Before then, describing the non-existent evidence is pointless. We can only say what kind of evidence we won't accept.

That's being a little closeminded, to say the least.

In what way?
(14th August 2016, 18:41)Jesster Wrote:
(14th August 2016, 18:39)Excited Penguin Wrote: That's being a little closeminded, to say the least.

In what way?

See OP.
(14th August 2016, 18:43)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(14th August 2016, 18:41)Jesster Wrote: In what way?

See OP.

Nope. I've done that. Explain.

Never mind. I'll jump in ahead of you.

I never once said we should ignore evidence that shows up. That is the only way to be close-minded in this case. Instead, I am saying that it is the claimant's job to provide the evidence. We should not be doing their work for them. Once the evidence is there, we can investigate it to make up our minds. Until then, there is no point in us lifting a finger.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I would like some advise Hammok Man 41 826 19th June 2017, 22:03
Last Post: Court Jester
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 274 17th May 2017, 10:01
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I would believe in God if... Won2blv 65 1744 6th April 2017, 15:29
Last Post: Jeanne
  Would you like to be immortal? Little Rik 186 4121 20th February 2017, 08:43
Last Post: Little Rik
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Hammy 14 653 29th January 2017, 13:12
Last Post: Cyberman
  Evidence for the existence of God Yadayadayada 145 4595 21st January 2017, 09:03
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What would you consider to be evidence for God? Psychonaut 591 70340 29th December 2016, 15:53
Last Post: Astreja
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 621 21st December 2016, 11:17
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 9332 16th November 2016, 04:03
Last Post: robvalue
  Supernatural Evidence? Soldat Du Christ 266 9316 13th November 2016, 10:44
Last Post: chimp3