Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Stars protesting........
Sports Stars protesting........
The SF player sitting down during the National Anthem is not the first time.  Ali was very vocal about politics for his time, and so have many others since, and before. 

Now I really am fucking sick of this idea that if someone doesn't partake in the National Anthem or the pledge at school,  that they hate the country they live in, or they are secret fascists. That is a bunch of bullshit. 

Peer pressure on any issue to conform, is bad enough just in growing up as a kid and teen. But in politics, it is a horrible idea to mandate mere ceremony to the point of demonizing anyone who chooses not to partake in it. The theocracies of Iran and Saudi Arabia and the state worship of Kim Jong Un are what demands of "blind patriotism" look like. 

Now, sports is completely trivial, and the National Anthem is ceremonial. I find it sad that people are ripping that player for no good reason, and over a mere game on top of it. We do need to solve our inequity. We do need to solve our pay gap. We do need to solve our gun violence problem. Anyone who thinks  sitting down as a form of protest over teams we don't play for, or own ourselves, makes them anti American, needs fucking help. 

Our Supreme Court time after time has upheld the idea that ceremony is not law and cannot be forced and can only be voluntary, mainly with the pledge. The First Amendment protects protest and even goes further and says if you don't like what your government is doing, you can use the court system to revue your grievance.  No, that is not a given that a court will always side with you, but just that you have the right. Protest is not anti American, blind patriotism is.

The NFL is a private entity, but to it's credit, while they set their own rules, values this concept of voluntary not mandatory ceremony.  

This is in line with our Constitution's First Amendment. 

Quote:
Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

If non Christians who are fans can sit through a gullible player thanking a sky hero for points, while kids die from famine and unarmed blacks die from cops, certainly nobody should be as concerned with someone siting down in a non violent way.
RE: Sports Stars protesting........
What you get are morons like this spouting the same old "love it or leave it" shit that I first heard back in the 60's.  You can always spot a moron by the platitudes he spouts.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/trump-ha...lf-deport/

Quote:Trump demands Kaepernick respect America — even though he’s called the US a ‘third-world country’
RE: Sports Stars protesting........
(August 30, 2016 at 11:56 am)Minimalist Wrote: What you get are morons like this spouting the same old "love it or leave it" shit that I first heard back in the 60's.  You can always spot a moron by the platitudes he spouts.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/trump-ha...lf-deport/

Quote:Trump demands Kaepernick respect America — even though he’s called the US a ‘third-world country’

I wouldn't say America is a third world country YET, but if we continue to allow the GOP and 1% to protect corporate welfare we will end up with the same sweat shop labor force of India and China. And the worst part is that China's Premier said a couple months ago the same bullshit GOP economic "fuck the workers" line our right does, "Now is not the time to tax the rich".

We are still better off, and I am astounded by the ignorance of Drumpf morons thinking we are worse of now than when Bush left. I think there is lots to be said about memes carrying over from the past, and it still remains that minorities in America are getting the short end of the economic/justice stick. Unless we face that as a country, and I do see it being a continual problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Of comedy and sports. A HELP ME thread. Brian37 9 1180 October 15, 2021 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1710 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 949 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 507 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The myth of the draft in pro sports. Brian37 3 517 December 29, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should college sports players be paid? Brian37 13 2306 October 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Marginalized sports viocjit 49 5223 August 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Anyone into combat sports? EgoDeath 24 2116 March 17, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Will be walking the sports plank soon. Brian37 4 1035 February 4, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Where sports/politics and religion meet. Brian37 0 470 January 28, 2019 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37