Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The classic stoooopid clergy quotes thread
The classic stoooopid clergy quotes thread
Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor, 2009: “Whether a person is atheist or any other, there is in fact in my view something not totally human if they leave out the transcendent… we call it God… I think that if you leave that out you are not fully human.” Because atheism is not a religion, the Irish blasphemy law does not protect atheists from abusive and insulting statements about their fundamental beliefs. While atheists are not seeking such protection, we include the statement here to point out that it is discriminatory that this law does not hold all citizens equal.
RE: The classic stoooopid clergy quotes thread
Apart from anything, we do not 'leave out the transcendent'. There is far more wonder in a great view from a hill on a summer's day, or a sunset, or a picture of a nebula, or a piece of music, than in their mumbo-jumbo. Indeed, there is something profoundly spiritual about it. We just don't attribute it to some mystical being.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
I wonder how many altar boys he butt-raped? How transcendent is that?
(August 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wonder how many altar boys he butt-raped? How transcendent is that?

It wasn't his soul leaving his body, that's for sure. Though I think in Shakespeare's time 'spirit' was slang for 'semen'...
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
The Rt Rev Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle, argued that the floods are not just a result of a lack of respect for the planet, but also a judgment on society's moral decadence.

"This is a strong and definite judgment because the world has been arrogant in going its own way," he said. "We are reaping the consequences of our moral degradation, as well as the environmental damage that we have caused."

The bishop, who is a leading evangelical, said that people should heed the stories of the Bible, which described the downfall of the Roman empire as a result of its immorality.

"We are in serious moral trouble because every type of lifestyle is now regarded as legitimate," he said.

"In the Bible, institutional power is referred to as 'the beast', which sets itself up to control people and their morals. Our government has been playing the role of God in saying that people are free to act as they want," he said, adding that the introduction of recent pro-gay laws highlighted its determination to undermine marriage.

"The sexual orientation regulations [which give greater rights to gays] are part of a general scene of permissiveness. We are in a situation where we are liable for God's judgment, which is intended to call us to repentance."

He expressed his sympathy for those who have been hit by the weather, but said that the problem with "environmental judgment is that it is indiscriminate".

Fantastic stuff from the Bish and his verbal sewage.
(August 20, 2010 at 8:11 am)The Omnissiunt One Wrote:
(August 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wonder how many altar boys he butt-raped? How transcendent is that?

It wasn't his soul leaving his body, that's for sure. Though I think in Shakespeare's time 'spirit' was slang for 'semen'...

Don't go by me. I'm just fed up with these pompous, pious, pedophile priests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context" mcolafson 61 11423 October 4, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  A Collection of Ludicrous Quotes from Deuteronomy Michael Schubert 3 2261 September 9, 2013 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Classic Rahul 164 31266 June 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: John V
  One in six clergy in holland either agnostic or atheist. downbeatplumb 19 7038 August 7, 2011 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused