Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One in six clergy in holland either agnostic or atheist.
One in six clergy in holland either agnostic or atheist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14417362

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: One in six clergy in holland either agnostic or atheist.
Somehow this doesn't surprise me. I wonder what the percentages are like in the UK...
RE: One in six clergy in Holland either agnostic or atheist.
"A study by the Free University of Amsterdam found that one-in-six clergy in the PKN and six other smaller denominations was either agnostic or atheist."

...""In our society it's called 'somethingism'," he says. "There must be 'something' between heaven and earth, but to call it 'God', and even 'a personal God', for the majority of Dutch is a bridge too far.

"Christian churches are in a market situation. They can offer their ideas to a majority of the population which is interested in spirituality or some kind of religion."

Reverend Klaas Hendrikse, America needs more clergy who think like you do. And then they need ecumenical governing boards that won't oust them when they dare make it public.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
Makes sense, really. Bart Ehrman cannot be the only person who studied this shit backwards and forwards and came to the reasonable conclusion that it is bullshit.

Of course, once you have gone through the trouble of getting a "divinity" degree there isn't much else you can do with it except fleece the sheep. It becomes just "a job."
I imagine the closer one gets to the top of hierarchie in fundamentalist megachurches and infomercial televised ministries, the greater the percentage of pure con man without a shred of belief and in it for the submissive boys, private jet and rolls Royce.
True...the bennies are good.
I wonder what their services must be like. Would the prayers be like this one Jimmy Stewart said in Shenandoah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzyZ1M-kVU

Yes! I knew I could put a clip in here somewhere!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
Great clip, Rev.

'God' doesn't do shit and the morons still thank him!
Only liberal west coast script monkeys would write such a prayer. Probably communists too, and gay.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2140 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5828 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  One Agnostic's View of the New Atheists Randy Carson 68 9046 September 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: abaris
  54% of Uk males non-religious or agnostic. downbeatplumb 34 9064 January 27, 2015 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  I'm afraid of being agnostic, I need help TaosFlower 75 11607 January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Atheist or really Agnostic SavedByGraceThruFaith 154 33327 October 2, 2013 at 10:13 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The ahh so your really agnostic argument Lemonvariable72 15 5273 October 1, 2013 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Six die because church says STOP HIV treatment KichigaiNeko 40 18189 April 1, 2012 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Are you an assertive atheist or a passive one? Greatest I am 92 23417 September 11, 2011 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Castle
  1 in 6 Dutch Protestant priests atheist or agnostic | BBC Anymouse 3 4925 August 5, 2011 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Justtristo