Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Orange is the New Black" on Atheism
"Orange is the New Black" on Atheism
I feel inclined to share this after finishing season 4.

"I believe in science. I believe in evolution. I believe in Nate Silver and Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Christopher Hitchens. Although I do admit he could be a kind of an asshole. I cannot get behind some supreme being who weighs in on the Tony Awards while a million people get whacked with machetes. I don't believe a billion Indians are going to hell. I don't think we get cancer to learn life lessons, and I don't believe that people die young because God needs another angel. I think it's just bullshit, and on some level, I think we all know that, I mean, don't you?... Look I understand that religion makes it easier to deal with all of the random shitty things that happen to us. And I wish I could get on that ride, I'm sure I would be happier. But I can't . Feeling aren't enough. I need it to be real."

~ Piper Chapman, Orange is the New Black.

What more does a theist need to become rational or even agnostic-theist?

I believe Piper's statement fulfills the requirements for a sane human to just question god.
One simple statement by mankind can change everyone.

Just ask..."Why?"

Why does god let us die for nothing?
Why does god send people to hell to burn without rehabilitation?
Why does god make life shitty enough for us to kill ourselves (unrelated to quote)?

This quote makes me think, why do people bother with god?
We should speak the words out loud that...

"Religion is complete utter bullshit!"

RE: "Orange is the New Black" on Atheism
Why be a theist? Because Jews get better food in prison
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(September 7, 2016 at 12:12 pm)Jesster Wrote: Why be a theist? Because Jews get better food in prison

Lmafo.

Jews with their money and business class prison food.

(September 7, 2016 at 12:14 pm)ScienceAf Wrote:
(September 7, 2016 at 12:12 pm)Jesster Wrote: Why be a theist? Because Jews get better food in prison

Lmafo.

Wait, did you watch season 3?
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(September 7, 2016 at 12:16 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(September 7, 2016 at 12:14 pm)ScienceAf Wrote: Lmafo.

Wait, did you watch season 3?

Yep, just finished season 4.

I have uneven emotions about that quote. I think it is pretty smart and pretty spot on with my own thoughts... but I can't stand Piper lol. Ugh why does someone so annoying have to be right? I know I know the chick that plays her isn't the real Piper and that while it is based on her time in jail I can't imagine that they didn't tweak it a huge amount so she probably isn't as annoying as the TV show Piper but STILL!

Anywho for your question about why bother I think there are two reasons. One being that they grew up with it and can't be bothered to change. Two is a weakness in them. They are too weak to handle reality and death without help. My love is Catholic and I know he isn't weak and I know he is more intelligent than I am. I leave it at that is how he was raised and he has just accepted it. He doesn't fight or care about religious arguments so I know he isn't a crazy one but he kind of just goes with it. It's easier to continue for some of them instead of reevaluating their entire life and way of thinking.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(September 7, 2016 at 12:30 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: I have uneven emotions about that quote. I think it is pretty smart and pretty spot on with my own thoughts... but I can't stand Piper lol. Ugh why does someone so annoying have to be right? I know I know the chick that plays her isn't the real Piper and that while it is based on her time in jail I can't imagine that they didn't tweak it a huge amount so she probably isn't as annoying as the TV show Piper but STILL!

Anywho for your question about why bother I think there are two reasons. One being that they grew up with it and can't be bothered to change. Two is a weakness in them. They are too weak to handle reality and death without help. My love is Catholic and I know he isn't weak and I know he is more intelligent than I am. I leave it at that is how he was raised and he has just accepted it. He doesn't fight or care about religious arguments so I know he isn't a crazy one but he kind of just goes with it. It's easier to continue for some of them instead of reevaluating their entire life and way of thinking.

Piper is awesome!!!!!!
Well, we have our disagreements and I'm only 12.

But what about theists who claim too have evidence?

Why do you keep bringing up that you are 12? Ya know most 12 years olds would pretend to be older. This whole age thing is getting old real fast. We don't give a shit if you are 12 or 92.

Those that have the evidence still fall into the raise with it or too weak.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(September 7, 2016 at 12:44 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Why do you keep bringing up that you are 12? Ya know most 12 years olds would pretend to be older. This whole age thing is getting old real fast. We don't give a shit if you are 12 or 92.

Those that have the evidence still fall into the raise with it or too weak.

Idk, because I as a 12 year old don't know why you find her annoying.
And as a 12 year old I think simple in comparison too people like you.
I didn't know if you knew so I didn't want you to overestimate me.
I'll stop if you find it annoying too.

Oh, I guess.
They say there is evidence but don't show shit.

You have plastered it all over the site how could I not know? I just don't know if I believe it. But the thing is I don't really care enough to pursue it.

Yes they claim evidence and believe in it fully but that is nothing new for humans and applies to more than just religion. Similar with Santa. Children and told to believe and they do whole heartedly. They see 'evidence' of the milk and cookies are gone, there are hoof prints in the snow outside, and there are presents from Santa. Despite their sincere belief and evidence we know it isn't real.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27077 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The new, New Atheism Whateverist 13 2209 March 1, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12451 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Black Christians... dyresand 6 1629 December 9, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BLACK CHRISTIANS- [SNIP] AugumentAthiest666 2 977 December 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Atheism's new political wing.. lifesagift 18 4698 October 25, 2014 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12121 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  atheism amongst black Americans DramaQueen 27 3810 August 20, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10463 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Anchor: Offical Trailer (new documentary exploring atheism/Christianity) Mudhammam 3 1342 February 25, 2014 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist