Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just curious - what is the meaning of the islamic celebrations?
Just curious - what is the meaning of the islamic celebrations?
A few days ago my muslim friends greeted every muslim with "happy Bayrham" (or whatever it is spelled in English) and I asked them about Bayrham and Ramadhan. But they couldn't understand me. They told me what they do on these celebrations but couldn't actually tell me what these celebrations are. For instance, in christianity christmas is the birth of god and easter is his ressurection. So, my question is what do Bayrham and Ramadhan celebrate?
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Just curious - what is the meaning of the islamic celebrations?
Ramadan: The month in their lunar calendar in which the Quran was first revealed to Muhammad. The Quran was revealed in the month of Ramadan, the ninth month of their lunar calendar.

Iftar: The breaking of the fast feast towards the end of a day during the month of Ramadan

Eid: The end of Ramadan

Mawlid: The birthday of Muhammad (not celebrated by every believer as there is some dispute about celebrating it)

Bayram is a Turkish word meaning celebration which is a generic word not linked to any religion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayram_(Turkey)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do Islamic theologians study the Bible in countries where Hebrew is illegal? FlatAssembler 10 976 August 12, 2023 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Rainbow Invite the people of the world to attack the Islamic religion Eclectic 9 1261 December 14, 2022 at 11:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why "Jihad" martyrdom is important in Islamic faith? AniKoferBo 13 1413 January 6, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Islamic prophet's foreknowledge of the Terfeziaceae's health benefits R00tKiT 29 2672 July 4, 2021 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  When was Sunni Islamic hadiths first translated to English Sweden83 1 578 December 4, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sudan ends 30 years of Islamic Law Foxaèr 34 5902 September 9, 2020 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Sal
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7785 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Females are less intelligent than men according to authentic Sunni islamic hadith Binki21 9 1318 November 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Refuting the book "Islamic government" (series of lectures of Khomeini) Mystic 17 3021 October 21, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Islamic apologetic i recommend Inrid 9 1764 October 20, 2018 at 7:41 am
Last Post: LastPoet