Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and vegetarianism
Atheism and vegetarianism
There seems to me to be a clear connection between non-belief and vegetarianism. Once we get rid of the religious notion that man is a higher creation, with a soul, it's harder to justify badly treating other animals then painfully slaughtering them for our meals. Also, those who question religion are more likely to question the prevailing attitude towards our diets. It'd be interesting to see a study on whether there's a correlation. I myself am a pescetarian (I eat seafood, but no meat). Now, I'm not condemning anyone who isn't vegetarian; I'd just like to get people's thoughts on the matter.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
RE: Atheism and vegetarianism
Yes, yes you are condemning anyone who eats meat. You impugned our character by implying that there is no moral justification to domesticate and kill animals to eat them.
I have been an atheist for 30 years and eat all kinds of meat. I am omnivorous. I care about cruelty to animals, but I set that aside (for the most part) when it comes to animals raised for my consumption. I'm going to eat them, I try not to have a lot of empathy for their plight.
I'm a meat lover. I find it hard to think that shedding religion means you'd be more "against" eating animals though; if anything, science shows us that we evolved with the ability to eat meat, and that everyone else in the animal kingdom has their own specific diets. Just because we can only survive on fruit & vegetables doesn't mean we should stop eating animals.

Anyway, given that all life is related, why is it OK to eat plants, but not other animals?
Many people can healthily have a vegetarian diet maybe, but for some it's not even healthy. The fact we are evolved omnivores could explain that.

I could slowly change my diet after consulting my doctor about it in future.... but my own health is to be taken into consideration too, and I also have other moral considerations to think about like giving to charity, and, that costs money, and, I won't be able to afford to donate as much if I change my diet to say, veganism because organic food is very expensive.

Also, if I was really serious I'd have to stop eating a lot of non-meat foods that have other immoral additives like anything that has palm oil in it that isn't sustainable because of the environmental harm that's doing to orang-utans and whatnot. And palm oil is in so many products for various usage. It's almost unavoidable.... and there are many other examples besides palm oil I'm sure.

In principle I should change my ways, in practice it's hard because everything has it's price and there are other ethical matters I can attend to for that price.

Besides, a lot of products that do harm to animals or the environment stimulate the economy and that money at least could be spent on giving to charity. And if enough is given, more benefit than harm may even be given. Who knows? It's all rather complicated really.
I LOVE meat! No food more tasty. I have meat every day.
We shouldn't stop eating meat because some don't quite like the idea of eating animals but we are ombivours (I did spell that right didn't I)
We were ment to eat both fruit and meat. It's completely natural.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Natural doesn't make moral. That would be the naturalistic fallacy.

But I agree with you that there are natural evolutionary reasons for us being omnivorous of course.
(August 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm)Ace Wrote: I LOVE meat! No food more tasty. I have meat every day.
We shouldn't stop eating meat because some don't quite like the idea of eating animals but we are ombivours (I did spell that right didn't I)
We were ment to eat both fruit and meat. It's completely natural.

Omnivores. Tongue
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
(August 22, 2010 at 5:57 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Natural doesn't make moral. That would be the naturalistic fallacy.

But I agree with you that there are natural evolutionary reasons for us being omnivorous of course.

If I stopped eating meat, I'd have trouble maintaning my muscle gain.
Our bodies do need meat as well as fruit. That doesn't mean we can't survive without it, it's just it's very good for us to consume meat.

I agree that animals shouldn't be put through needless crualty. I don't agree that we should stop eating meat. Try gaining and maintaning muscles without meaty foods.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I'm not saying that we should stop eating meat either. I'm just saying that it being "natural" doesn't make it right. That would be the naturalistic fallacy. I just wanted to point that out I'm not saying that you're saying that natural=right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2742 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27110 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12237 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12148 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3324 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  What proof and evidence is there for "atheism" to be accurate and correct? SavedByChrist94 42 21761 January 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38079 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack