Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your moral compass
Your moral compass
Two days ago I read a post about (American) liberals,
there was an assertion that unlike Jews and Christians liberals don't have a moral compass and liberals cannot even comprehend what a  moral compass may be.

Well, I live in Europe and this type of rhetoric is rather alien to me. I guess it is an American thing... Big Grin
Can you tell me more about it?
RE: Your moral compass
Morality is subjective. I'd say almost everyone has a compass, it's just some are unpopular/unusual.

People who don't have one at all would presumably be psycopaths, who don't consider any action to be bad or good, even subjectively. Their compass has no opinion, just "do whatever".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
That's quite the assertion. I'd be impressed if someone could actually back that up.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I've heard this kind of rhetoric quite often in debates and the like. I think because most religious people tend to derive their morals from wanting to please their sentient overlord, they think that because liberals or atheists don't believe in a god, this means they have no moral compass to follow and are therefore concienceless animals. Pretty ridiculous as this can easily be proven not to be true given the fact that non-believers aren't wandering around raping, murdering, stealing and abusing people.
(September 23, 2016 at 4:56 am)robvalue Wrote: Morality is subjective. I'd say almost everyone has a compass, it's just some are unpopular/unusual.

People who don't have one at all would presumably be psycopaths, who don't consider any action to be bad or good, even subjectively. Their compass has no opinion, just "do whatever".

Interesting. Did Ted Bundy have one? David Berkowitz (before his conversion in prison when he allegedly became a good Christian)? John Gacy? Andrei Chikatilo?

What was the moral compass of Lucky Luciano?
Erm... they are probably psycopaths, as I noted. I said almost everyone.

Even someone who has a compass telling them to kill as an imperative has a moral compass. It's just a different one to usual.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 23, 2016 at 5:07 am)george.hobden Wrote: I've heard this kind of rhetoric quite often in debates and the like. I think because most religious people tend to derive their morals from wanting to please their sentient overlord, they think that because liberals or atheists don't believe in a god, this means they have no moral compass to follow and are therefore concienceless animals. Pretty ridiculous as this can easily be proven not to be true given the fact that non-believers aren't wandering around raping, murdering, stealing and abusing people.

That is because you and me are bound by human laws (that were drawn by religious people with moral compass).
If you or me were put on a deserted island, then we would start raping, murdering, stealing and abusing whoever we can abuse... Tongue
(September 23, 2016 at 5:12 am)mcolafson Wrote:
(September 23, 2016 at 5:07 am)george.hobden Wrote: I've heard this kind of rhetoric quite often in debates and the like. I think because most religious people tend to derive their morals from wanting to please their sentient overlord, they think that because liberals or atheists don't believe in a god, this means they have no moral compass to follow and are therefore concienceless animals. Pretty ridiculous as this can easily be proven not to be true given the fact that non-believers aren't wandering around raping, murdering, stealing and abusing people.

That is because you and me are bound by human laws (that were drawn by religious people with moral compass).
If you or me were put on a deserted island, then we would start raping, murdering, stealing and abusing whoever we can abuse... Tongue

I don't think so, I would say its more to do with the evolutionary development of social norms and laws that are innate in our selves. We feel empathy, so we can understand that raping or murdering someone would cause them pain and misery (which we wouldn't want for ourselves). Therefore as humans we realise it is objectively wrong to do these things. No religion needed!
(September 23, 2016 at 4:50 am)mcolafson Wrote: Two days ago I read a post about (American) liberals,
there was an assertion that unlike Jews and Christians liberals don't have a moral compass and liberals cannot even comprehend what a  moral compass may be.

It's a dishonest means of disqualifying the group they dislike from having valid opinions, while recasting themselves as the designated adults of society. It's not a coincidence, after all, that the contents of a "moral compass" just so happen to align with what the religious think is good, and that the people who lack a moral compass just so happen to be the ones who disagree with them.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I also started this thread because of my interest in some civil wars...

I read this article from a catholic web page.

an excerpt,

"Moreover, the Church's price for her support of Franco was that she have a moderating influence on Franco's men, which is what happened. War indeed brings out the worst in men, and thank God the Church was able to reign in those elements to the best of her ability. By contrast, reading the correspondence of Communist operatives in Spain leaves no room for doubt that their agenda was one of pure and total "liquidation," as they so antiseptically referred to murder"

In other words, in equal circumstances Christians/Catholics are better than atheists, because Christians/Catholics have moral compass.

The Catholic article about bad atheists and Catholic martyrs is here:

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2013/the-s...-civil-war

(it can make you feel ashamed of being an atheist Undecided )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 12789 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6404 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6577 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3091 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3619 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4590 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5301 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3185 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 6906 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Moral Oughts Acrobat 109 7518 August 30, 2019 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Acrobat