Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would it take?
Question 
What would it take?
According to christian scriptures, the end of times was "imminent" at the time the bible was written, most likely in the lifetimes of the "apostles". There are a number of references which support this view:

8 …the coming of the Lord is near.
(James 5:8)

9 …the Judge is standing right at the door.
(James 5:9)

Children, it is the last hour;
and just as you heard thatantichrist is coming,
even now many antichrists have appeared;
from this we know that it is the last hour.
(1 John 2:18)

Moreover, Jesus was reported to have told his disciples, "Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."
(Matt. 24:34; Mark 13:30; Luke 21:32)

But after Christ did not return in the 1st century after his death, xtians have expected Christ's return at various times - some of the more prominent ones are:

1st Century CE: As per the "imminent" predictions in the bible
2nd Century CE: Prophets and Prophetesses of the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem in the city of Pepuza in Asia Minor.
1000-JAN-1 CE: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000.
Around 2000 CE: Various predictions of Christ's return by Harold Caming, Jerry Falwell and others.

Even after all these failed predictions of Christ's return, xtians still hold on to the belief that he will miraculously appear to claim his "flock" of "chosen ones".

So I would like to run a little throught experiment here. Christ has not returned in year 100, 1000 or 2000 but xtians still believe. What if the year is 10,000 CE - would you still be an avid xtian expecting Christ's return? What if you lived in the year 20,000? 100,000? 200,000?

What would it take for you to finally admit that Christ is not returning and xtianity is false?
RE: What would it take?
If religious people understood or cared about logic and probabilities, they wouldn't be religious in the first place.

You need to appeal to their emotions, not their brains.

(I use the term "brain" very loosely for the sake of this exercise)

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
After all, Jesus was crucified TWICE for their sins. Sez so in the Holy Bible, so it's gotta be true !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Purportedly, many of the faithful will deny christ -has- come, or will call to him for help and be denied...because they did not know him.   

"Yeah...so, those assholes had it all wrong" - so sayeth the lord.  

........so it might just take the return of christ for some christians to admit that christianity was false, and since -that- day will never come....... Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What's interesting here is the complete lack of response from xtians. Clearly the thought experiment is a little too much to take. Imagine living in the year 10,000 CE and Christ has not returned for each of the millennium anniversaries. That has got to hurt!
(December 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: What's interesting here is the complete lack of response from xtians. Clearly the thought experiment is a little too much to take. Imaging living in the year 10,000 CE and Christ has not returned for each of the millennium anniversaries. That has got to hurt!

Give 'em time; they might show up. You make a good point. It's hard to argue that Jesus meant "thousands of years" in light of the verses you cited, but I'm sure someone will pull something out of his or her ass to validate the verses.

Or maybe they will wait 2,000+ years to show up... like "you-know-who."
(December 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: What's interesting here is the complete lack of response from xtians. Clearly the thought experiment is a little too much to take. Imagine living in the year 10,000 CE and Christ has not returned for each of the millennium anniversaries. That has got to hurt!

You're asking people who believe the cracker and wine turn into flesh and blood to indulge themselves in a thought experiment? Good luck with that one.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(December 6, 2017 at 8:31 pm)Succubus Wrote:
(December 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: What's interesting here is the complete lack of response from xtians. Clearly the thought experiment is a little too much to take. Imagine living in the year 10,000 CE and Christ has not returned for each of the millennium anniversaries. That has got to hurt!

You're asking people who believe the cracker and wine turn into flesh and blood to indulge themselves in a thought experiment? Good luck with that one.

Both require a great deal of imagination so, yes I am asking them to imagine!
(December 6, 2017 at 2:41 am)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: According to christian scriptures, the end of times was "imminent" at the time the bible was written, most likely in the lifetimes of the "apostles". There are a number of references which support this view:

8 …the coming of the Lord is near.
(James 5:8)

9 …the Judge is standing right at the door.
(James 5:9)

Children, it is the last hour;
and just as you heard thatantichrist is coming,
even now many antichrists have appeared;
from this we know that it is the last hour.
(1 John 2:18)

Moreover, Jesus was reported to have told his disciples, "Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."
(Matt. 24:34; Mark 13:30; Luke 21:32)

But after Christ did not return in the 1st century after his death, xtians have expected Christ's return at various times - some of the more prominent ones are:

1st Century CE: As per the "imminent" predictions in the bible
2nd Century CE: Prophets and Prophetesses of the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem in the city of Pepuza in Asia Minor.
1000-JAN-1 CE: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000.
Around 2000 CE: Various predictions of Christ's return by Harold Caming, Jerry Falwell and others.

Even after all these failed predictions of Christ's return, xtians still hold on to the belief that he will miraculously appear to claim his "flock" of "chosen ones".

So I would like to run a little throught experiment here. Christ has not returned in year 100, 1000 or 2000 but xtians still believe. What if the year is 10,000 CE - would you still be an avid xtian expecting Christ's return? What if you lived in the year 20,000? 100,000? 200,000?

What would it take for you to finally admit that Christ is not returning and xtianity is false?

Riddle me this... did any f the people who wrote those words you quoted or anyone who read those words that are not still living Escape the judgement or anything written by dying?

No. So then can it then be said those words of warning were just as important then are they are now?
(December 7, 2017 at 3:42 pm)Drich Wrote: Riddle me this... did any f the people who wrote those words you quoted or anyone who read those words that are not still living Escape the judgement or anything written by dying?

Since there is no "judgement" of the type you are insinuating, the answer is yes, everyone escapes judgement.

Quote:No. So then can it then be said those words of warning were just as important then are they are now?

Oops, that No should be a Yes.

The words are less important as they are now because they have failed one simple test. The test of observation. They have not come to pass for over 2,000 years nor shall they do so over the next 10,000 years or 100,000 years.

An often quoted definition of insanity is to do the same thing expecting different results. Xtians have been praying and waiting for the return of their god but he refuses to return. That is the reason for my question. If we are now living in the year 100,000 CE and your god has still not returned, will you still be doing the same thing? Will you be praying and waiting for him to return?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1809 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3551 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Is it possible for someone to take away the judgement from God? verbral 31 4091 November 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context" mcolafson 61 11138 October 4, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18070 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What It Would Take: Or Bullocks To Christianity! Manalive 10 2713 August 21, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  By all means, please take Christianity seriously Cato 13 3746 June 6, 2015 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Spooky
  What does the (hypothetical) soul take with it? emjay 37 8196 April 14, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The bible... why take it seriously? robvalue 45 8774 September 9, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Is the Catholic position a "take it or leave it" kind? lwlodarczyk 14 4556 August 4, 2014 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Zidneya