Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physics Nobel 2016
Physics Nobel 2016
As expected, the Royal Academy delayed the Nobel Prize for gravitational waves by a year and gave this year's to one of those groups of people who have done innovative work decades ago but hadn't so far been recognized.

This year it goes to Kosterlitz, Thouless and Haldane for work on the role of topological effects in certain materials. I admit that I didn't have them on my radar because, while I had heard of the KT-Transition (the physics effect, not the Dinosaur killing meteorite), I wasn't aware that it has enough impact to warrant a Nobel.

So, what are topological effects? Topology is the mathematical study of those aspects of shapes of things which do not change when they are bent and deformed. For example, if you bend or twist a donut shaped rubber ring, it has still one hole and two distict ways to walk in a loop on it, the long way encircling the hole, and the short way going in a circle round the solid part. These properties are still the same if you deform the donut a bit. So, the topology of an object is described by discrete numbers, not continuous measures such as size or angles - this makes it very powerful because it means that topological properties of materials will not depend on the messy details of how they are made up and shaped, leading to very universal laws which hold with great precision independent of the details of the setup (unlike e.g. the electrical resistance of a piece of metal, whose precise value depends on many unknowns such as the exact shape, purity and temperature.)

The topological effects in this year's nobel concern not how to walk on a donut, but how the electromagnetic fields are oriented in certain materials. K and T discovered that above a certain temperature, the fields form closed loops called vortices, which spontaneously pop up in the material and change the electrical properties of the material in unusual ways.

So share your testimony: how did the Kosterlitz-Thouless-Transition change your life?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Physics Nobel 2016
(October 4, 2016 at 7:07 am)Alex K Wrote: So share your testimony: how did the Kosterlitz-Thouless-Transition change your life?

Well I'm not quite sure how it has changed my life because I'm not sure exactly how this can be applied yet. I did learn something new though, and that is always a plus in my book.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 4, 2016 at 7:38 am)Jesster Wrote:
(October 4, 2016 at 7:07 am)Alex K Wrote: So share your testimony: how did the Kosterlitz-Thouless-Transition change your life?

Well I'm not quite sure how it has changed my life because I'm not sure exactly how this can be applied yet. I did learn something new though, and that is always a plus in my book.

Seriously, I'm not so sure either. I think I read that it is useful to understand some electronic devices exploiting the quantum Hall effect, but I'm not entirely clear on how that is all connected.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Huh, I wonder if Duncan Haldane is any relation to JBS Haldane, who is one of my favorite scientific figures.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

My toaster has never worked better.  Smile
[Image: tumblr_mn8w2wxRXk1s5srbqo1_500.gif]
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 4, 2016 at 10:28 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Huh, I wonder if Duncan Haldane is any relation to JBS Haldane, who is one of my favorite scientific figures.

Seriously, I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't be the first dynasty of geniuses.

Those gentlemen exist, you wrote about them and now I'm a little smarter. Understand that this may be fleeting.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Once again, I am disappointed in not hearing from the committee about my vast contributions to the field of physics.

Fools!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2077 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1889 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1848 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Physics of Guinness thesummerqueen 23 7496 September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Does Physics now have a complete description of Nature? Jehanne 32 4414 April 10, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: dyresand
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2727 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1239 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2546 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Question Do we really have the “jewel” of physics? theBorg 5 1888 September 19, 2016 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Some fun stuff expected in 2016 in astrophysics... Fake Messiah 29 3357 August 16, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13