Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
About minimum wage
About minimum wage
Can one of you smart people explain to me why raising the minimum wage wouldn't just increase the cost of living?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: About minimum wage
I cannot, because that is precisely what happens; ergo, nothing really changes due to greedy rich people.

However, if the minimum wage was never increased to slightly bridge the ever dividing gap, then we would all become homeless.

It is interesting how we are always kept right on the edge of poverty, however, literally living from direct deposit to direct deposit.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 7, 2016 at 12:08 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I cannot, because that is precisely what happens; ergo, nothing really changes due to greedy rich people.

However, if the minimum wage was never increased to slightly bridge the ever dividing gap, then we would all become homeless.

It is interesting how we are always kept right on the edge of poverty, however, literally living from direct deposit to direct deposit.

No...this isn't what happens and that's what I want to know, why doesn't it
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Sure, it'd increase the cost of living. But let's not pretend it's a 1:1 increase. I mean let's say you double the minimum wage. The prices of everything isn't suddenly going to...double. Why the fuck would it? The cost of labor in production isn't 100%. If it was, companies wouldn't make a profit.

On the other hand not raising the minimum wage leaves many people in poverty. Buying power for those people decreases as inflation goes up. Their $7.25/hour buys less and less every year.
places with higher minimum wages do not directly have higher costs of living.

Look at Seattle and Portland. Both have higher than average min wage, and lower than average cost of living for large cities. That's one reason these cities, and both states that contain them, are the top destinations to move to in the entire US.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I can't cause I'm not that smart. I did vote to increase it up to $9.25/hr in my state. Would have voted for higher but that was not an option.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
There might be a slight increase, but it wouldn't be as much as the increase in wages.

Competition keeps costs down as well.
All I can say is that the cost of living is raising far beyond what minimum wage can possibly support no matter how many hours you slave away for it. Do we have a better way to fix that? I'm all ears.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 7, 2016 at 12:40 pm)Aroura Wrote: places with higher minimum wages do not directly have higher costs of living.

Look at Seattle and Portland. Both have higher than average min wage, and lower than average cost of living for large cities. That's one reason these cities, and both states that contain them, are the top destinations to move to in the entire US.

Umm, not that I disagree with you in general, but as far as cost of living goes, you'd find a better example than Portland. You priced rent up here lately?
(October 7, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Losty Wrote: Can one of you smart people explain to me why raising the minimum wage wouldn't just increase the cost of living?

Just add a zero to every price and wage and denom of currency and bank balance.

YEA !!! We are all rich now !!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI & Citizens Wage FrustratedFool 8 859 September 14, 2023 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Raising the minimum wage won't help Foxaèr 156 7135 June 16, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why $15 an hour minimum wage SUCKS onlinebiker 94 3978 December 21, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The alternative to the living wage. Heywood 46 9988 May 20, 2014 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Heywood
  Why is it the employer's responsibility to provide a living wage? Heywood 97 24250 May 15, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  "They'll just raise prices if thy raise the minimum wage." Chad32 128 21416 April 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: John V
  CEOs work harder every hour than their wage slaves do every season. Ryantology 64 14280 February 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Isun
  The price of a non existant minimum wage. Something completely different 15 4346 July 25, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet