Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it the employer's responsibility to provide a living wage?
I'm not interested in discussing if minimum wage is good or bad. This is a much more narrow question. In my youth I used to believe that employers had a moral obligation to pay their employees a living wage. As I have aged...I have abandoned that belief because I could find no compelling reason why it should be so.

So what are the compelling reasons an employer should be obligated to provide all the means of living(the cash equivalent of such in our society) for an employee?
RE: Why is it the employer's responsibility to provide a living wage?
Failure to pay a living wage can lead to massive increases in employee churn, leaving the employer with a chronically under-trained workforce that possesses low morale.

If (a) full time job(s) is incapable of providing basic necessities (not a living wage) then people are forced into government assistance programs, generally not viewed as a desirable outcome.
NOT logic:
1. Claim to have logic
2. Throw a tantrum when asked to present it
3. Claim you've already presented it
4. Repeat step 1

*Rampant.A.I.'s quote
(May 10, 2014 at 1:02 am)eyemixer Wrote: Failure to pay a living wage can lead to massive increases in employee churn, leaving the employer with a chronically under-trained workforce that possesses low morale.

You are arguing that it is just good business sense to pay a living wage....which is highly situational. This has nothing to do with the morality.

(May 10, 2014 at 1:02 am)eyemixer Wrote: If (a) full time job(s) is incapable of providing basic necessities (not a living wage) then people are forced into government assistance programs, generally not viewed as a desirable outcome.

You don't want the state to be responsible for providing the means of living so therefore it falls on the employer? Why can't the state be responsible?....why does it have to be the employer?
You're right, the state should be responsible for paying the employees of private companies?

Come to think of it: Why not just abolish private employment all together, and have the state employ everyone?

That should work out great, right?
(May 10, 2014 at 1:13 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: You're right, the state should be responsible for paying the employees of private companies?

Come to think of it: Why not just abolish private employment all together, and have the state employ everyone?

Your point is irrelevant.

Employees do not work for free. Employers will have to pay them to attract them.
(May 10, 2014 at 1:07 am)Heywood Wrote:
(May 10, 2014 at 1:02 am)eyemixer Wrote: Failure to pay a living wage can lead to massive increases in employee churn, leaving the employer with a chronically under-trained workforce that possesses low morale.

You are arguing that it is just good business sense to pay a living wage....which is highly situational. This has nothing to do with the morality.

Fair point.

(May 10, 2014 at 1:07 am)Heywood Wrote:
(May 10, 2014 at 1:02 am)eyemixer Wrote: If (a) full time job(s) is incapable of providing basic necessities (not a living wage) then people are forced into government assistance programs, generally not viewed as a desirable outcome.

You don't want the state to be responsible for providing the means of living so therefore it falls on the employer? Why can't the state be responsible?....why does it have to be the employer?

To clarify, do you feel anyone is responsible for providing a means of living?
NOT logic:
1. Claim to have logic
2. Throw a tantrum when asked to present it
3. Claim you've already presented it
4. Repeat step 1

*Rampant.A.I.'s quote
Employers owe their workers a living wage because those employees are the only reason they have one.
(May 10, 2014 at 1:23 am)Heywood Wrote:
(May 10, 2014 at 1:13 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: You're right, the state should be responsible for paying the employees of private companies?

Your point is irrelevant.

Employees do not work for free. Employers will have to pay them to attract them.

Your point that employers should not have to pay employees enough to live on, and that the taxpayer (read: other employees) should pay a portion of the wages of other private employees is nonsensically circular.

Where do you think state funds come from? The moon?

Tell you what: how about we just raise taxes on the employers, and hand that money back to the employees. That way, you're happy, and the employees can continue to work, and the rest of us don't have to pay more taxes so that employers can have subsidized cheap labor.
Woodie - fine theist that he is - would like to see workers starve to death for the enrichment of their employers.
I'm going to go with .. because the rest of us shouldn't have to subsidize the workers of cheapskate business owners who expect us to make their business plan work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI & Citizens Wage FrustratedFool 8 876 September 14, 2023 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Removing treatment by democratic consensus as default (living wills) Duty 25 1177 October 7, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25879 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Raising the minimum wage won't help Foxaèr 156 7609 June 16, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why $15 an hour minimum wage SUCKS onlinebiker 94 4048 December 21, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Voting living in no man's land. Brian37 4 595 November 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4251 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  About Living With Shia Muslims & my Closeness to Shia Political figures Defender 18 3738 October 22, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  About minimum wage Losty 95 12083 October 11, 2016 at 6:23 am
Last Post: johan
  The alternative to the living wage. Heywood 46 10021 May 20, 2014 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Heywood