Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How I deal with no afterlife
How I deal with no afterlife
If I am special and have value as a human being, that creates a major conflict for me.  This conflict would be that for such a special and valuable person as myself to just forever rot and decay away would be the greatest insult to my value and specialness as a human being.

It would be utterly demeaning of my value and specialness.  It would be just tossing me away like trash.  So in order to resolve this conflict, I would have to deem myself as nothing special at all and of no value.  However, if I am immortal and do get to live forever in heaven, then there would be no conflict.

So, in short, if there is a heaven for me to live forever in, then I would deem myself as valuable and special since that conflict would not exist.  But if there is no afterlife, then I would just view myself as a piece of shit who might as well just die anyway.

This would also apply to the relationship I have with my own family and how I view other human beings.
RE: How I deal with no afterlife
(October 18, 2016 at 8:59 pm)SuperMarioGamer Wrote: If I am special and have value as a human being, that creates a major conflict for me.  This conflict would be that for such a special and valuable person as myself to just forever rot and decay away would be the greatest insult to my value and specialness as a human being.

It would be utterly demeaning of my value and specialness.  It would be just tossing me away like trash.  So in order to resolve this conflict, I would have to deem myself as nothing special at all and of no value.  However, if I am immortal and do get to live forever in heaven, then there would be no conflict.

So, in short, if there is a heaven for me to live forever in, then I would deem myself as valuable and special since that conflict would not exist.  But if there is no afterlife, then I would just view myself as a piece of shit who might as well just die anyway.

This would also apply to the relationship I have with my own family and how I view other human beings.

I would say that makes you a pessimist regarding  the limitations of this life. I myself am an optimist !
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

SuperMarioGamer, IMO, regardless of whatever beliefs we may hold, we do not know what happens when we die; all we have are theories.  As a result, I think we shouldn't let theories dictate the meaningfulness that we can create in our lifetimes.  Here's a favorite quote of mine:

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child." Forest E. Witcraft

Never underestimate the impact you have on others. A simple action on your part could be very meaningful to someone else; it can help him or her exercise the courage to hold their head up high and embrace life's challenging adventure. Live long and prosper.

Quote: But if there is no afterlife, then I would just view myself as a piece of shit who might as well just die anyway.

What's your point?
(October 18, 2016 at 8:59 pm)SuperMarioGamer Wrote: If I am special and have value as a human being, that creates a major conflict for me.  This conflict would be that for such a special and valuable person as myself to just forever rot and decay away would be the greatest insult to my value and specialness as a human being.

So you cope with no afterlife by telling yourself you're a piece of shit?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 18, 2016 at 9:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: But if there is no afterlife, then I would just view myself as a piece of shit who might as well just die anyway.

What's your point?

Again, that is to rid of that conflict I talked about.

Quote:So you cope with no afterlife by telling yourself you're a piece of shit?
Yes.
(October 18, 2016 at 9:42 pm)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:
(October 18, 2016 at 9:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What's your point?

Again, that is to rid of that conflict I talked about.

Quote:So you cope with no afterlife by telling yourself you're a piece of shit?
Yes.

Why? You can still live a full and dignified life without belief in an afterlife.

Wow.  Has the opposite effect for me.  Since there is no extra innings in this life I've got to make it happen in the standard nine (if I'm lucky) and savor those all the more as the precious commodity they really are.
Even if there is an afterlife and a life after afterlife, this one will never ever repeat. Make it worth as much as you are able.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

My self-esteem is entirely disparate from my beliefs about the (non)existence of god(s). But if it helps you to think of yourself as a "piece of shit", more power to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy? FlatAssembler 61 2488 June 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Jesus on the Gospel, not any Christian Church, and the Afterlife KerimF 31 1491 May 17, 2023 at 9:13 am
Last Post: KerimF
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18562 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 5946 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2068 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  An afterlife would be terrifying for me SuicideCommando01 76 5477 January 6, 2021 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  My essay about afterlife in Latin FlatAssembler 2 559 December 28, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: brewer
  desire for afterlife joe90 46 3461 April 13, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  NDE and afterlife joe90 32 3678 April 7, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12404 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K