Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God and the Placebo Effect
God and the Placebo Effect
get ready for a bunch of posts like these from me. im all about believing.

lets start with a hypothetical definition 
God: infinite power, intelligence, and wisdom (no death and destruction, contrary to half of most religions depiction)

how do you guys think belief in the possibility of infinity can affect a person? after all, jesus wasnt the only one to walk on water in the bible. 

will this belief raise their limits or crush their spirits?

i think it depends on the person.

usually people dont enjoy this kind of conversation as it doesnt involve a lot of drama. but im sure drama will be brought if anyone replies.
"Satan, who is the god of this world" 2 Corinthians 4:4 hath blinded the minds of them which believe not
RE: God and the Placebo Effect
Your god will have to remain hypothetical without more evidence. Not really into "what if" discussions.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Your god will have to remain hypothetical without more evidence. Not really into "what if" discussions.

as i mentioned in my OP. most people dont like these kind of conversations.

i dont see why you felt the need to reply. i assume ill be seeing a lot of you on this forum. looking forward to it.
"Satan, who is the god of this world" 2 Corinthians 4:4 hath blinded the minds of them which believe not
(October 28, 2016 at 9:26 pm)goombah111 Wrote:
(October 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Your god will have to remain hypothetical without more evidence. Not really into "what if" discussions.

i dont see why you felt the need to reply. i assume ill be seeing a lot of you on this forum. looking forward to it.

If this is the best you've got, I kinda hope not.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 28, 2016 at 9:33 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: If this is the best you've got, I kinda hope not.

best in terms of what? discussions? yeah, this was my trump card, my coup de gras. the absolute epitome of my prowess.

sorry to disappoint you bro
(October 28, 2016 at 9:26 pm)goombah111 Wrote:

"most people don't like these kind of conversations"

Question:

just here or everywhere ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 28, 2016 at 9:43 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: "most people don't like these kind of conversations"

Question:

everywhere.

like him, many people arent into hypotheticals.

personally, i love to hypothesize. and i love the placebo effect.
(October 28, 2016 at 9:52 pm)goombah111 Wrote:
(October 28, 2016 at 9:43 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: "most people don't like these kind of conversations"

Question:

everywhere.

like him, many people arent into hypotheticals.

personally, i love to hypothesize. and i love the placebo effect.

Me too, so I'll bite. 

Quote:lets start with a hypothetical definition 

God: infinite power, intelligence, and wisdom (no death and destruction, contrary to half of most religions depiction)

Got it.

Quote:how do you guys think belief in the possibility of infinity can affect a person?

My belief in infinity affected me greatly. It meant I could get a degree in engineering. 
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Quote:get ready for a bunch of posts like these from me. im all about believing.

Why are you so desperate to "believe?"
Belief in infinity? As in, belief that a being can have unlimited levels of power?

It seems to generally cause these kind of reactions:

1) Crawling around on the floor sucking up to it

2) Thinking it's very interested in you personally

3) Being afraid of it

4) Presuming to speak for it

5) Projecting one's own thoughts and morality onto it

6) Producing lame rationalisations for the belief

7) Taking a lot of things on authority from other people and books, and not questioning them
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4111 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Trump Effect inspires radical Christians in military Foxaèr 17 5210 June 15, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19309 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie