Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does EC have an ED?
Question 
Does EC have an ED?
So there was a change.org petition (now removed) to "temporarily ban Eugenia Cooney" from Youtube. She's a suspected eating disorder sufferer with an active YT account. She has denied having an ED saying she is naturally skinny and she doesn't know why. Perhaps even more importantly is the fact that her mum even says that EC does not have an ED.

There is another Youtuber who looks like someone with anorexia, but has a condition that means her body cannot store fat cells, her name is Lizzie Velasquez. Her medical condition is so rare that it doesn't even have a name.

So then, we know that EC's condition could potentially be the result of a medical condition, we know it could be the result of an ED (but she denies this), and we know that plenty of people online are willing to diagnose her. One of the interesting things of the 'Supersize vs Superskinny' series was that producers for that series had to go out and find underweight people who did not have an ED, but simply had disordered eating habits. So we know that her body could also be the result of disordered eating that is not due to an ED. Another possibility is that she has body dysmorphia but not an ED. Finally, some people are naturally underweight - although typically not as underweight as she is.

I don't think it's helpful to "diagnose people" through the internet. There may be some merit in that if there's only one thing that it could be, but with EC we can't say that for certain. Therefore trolling her with forceful views like these:

https://youtu.be/poL4-V3lZuY

Are a real concern.

So, does she have an ED or not? The simple answer is probably, but we just don't know. There is nothing in her videos, at least not that I've seen (not that I've looked very heard though) that is strong evidence that she has an ED besides her underweight body.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Does EC have an ED?
Of course we can't, and we shouldn't. It takes more than just low body weight for diagnosis of anorexia. And I have no idea the reason for her low weight (not that it matters, but haven't watched the video yet).
Perhaps we should leave that diagnosis to her medical professional. Anyone who signed that petition is an asshole too, what fucking right do they have to try and ban someone from YouTube when they haven't done anything wrong?
(October 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Perhaps we should leave that diagnosis to her medical professional. Anyone who signed that petition is an asshole too, what fucking right do they have to try and ban someone from YouTube when they haven't done anything wrong?

People are understandably worried about her, but I agree that they're also being a little assholish by suggesting she be banned just because she doesn't look healthy to them, and especially if they have no idea what the cause of her low weight is.
(October 29, 2016 at 11:21 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(October 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Perhaps we should leave that diagnosis to her medical professional. Anyone who signed that petition is an asshole too, what fucking right do they have to try and ban someone from YouTube when they haven't done anything wrong?

People are understandably worried about her, but I agree that they're also being a little assholish by suggesting she be banned just because she doesn't look healthy to them, and especially if they have no idea what the cause of her low weight is.

Should we ban certain overweight YouTubers too?

No, people can be worried for them like you say, but we shouldn't ban them.

That's exactly right. It's not as if she's posting up pro-ana videos. I didn't put her name in the thread title just her initials because I don't want it to appear that I'm trying to troll her.

Quote:Should we ban certain overweight YouTubers too?

boogie2988 I'm sure would not like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg

(October 29, 2016 at 11:21 pm)Irrational Wrote: People are understandably worried about her, but I agree that they're also being a little assholish by suggesting she be banned just because she doesn't look healthy to them, and especially if they have no idea what the cause of her low weight is.

Because of her emo make-up it is hard to see whether she really "looks" unhealthy or not. She doesn't have that really gaunt look in her face though.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Yeah, fuck this. I know a couple people who have genetic disorders that make them skinny to unhealthy levels, and it has nothing to do with eating disorders. It doesn't sound like this youtuber is even particularly unhealthy because of this. People just need to get a new hobby that doesn't involve banning people from YT.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I'd say that's a matter between her and her physician. I'd certainly not put it in the hands of the YouTube brain trust.
I'm sure most of the concerns are the result of good intentions, but, sorry, why the fuck is it any of these people's business? It's her problem but of course everybody on the internet is a fucking medical professional.

And exactly - what about overweight youtubers then? Mentally ill ones? Should we ban everybody who has any sort of health issue?

I don't get what this is supposed to accomplish.
I'm not entirely familiar with this, so I'm going to expose my ignorance - what specifically is the difference between 'disordered eating' and 'an eating disorder'?

To the point of the OP - I'm no physician, but I'm buggered if I know how ANY one can diagnose ANY disease via a YouTube viddy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Anybody Around Here Have Any Dignity? laserthought 17 1560 August 17, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3089 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What Does/Does Not Offend You? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 6357 December 22, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does anyone have Comments or Criticism for this video? Socratic Meth Head 15 2450 June 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: c172
  Have you ever tried to debate Christians that have no clue? Dean-o 39 8617 June 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack