Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education and crime
Education and crime
I have always wondered the relation between education and crime. To be more specific, the next question: why do educated people become criminals?

The organized crime, such as the mafia, is composed by people with education. Many of its members are engineers, economists, etc. If education is supposed to keep people out of crime, then why does this happen? I know some of you may say "greed", and it is true. But I want to go deeper. I want a better explanation. I believe there are more complex answers to this phenomenon.

What impulses someone with education to seek a life of crime rather than an honest life?
RE: Education and crime
An allergy to honest work?

(October 30, 2016 at 8:55 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: An allergy to honest work?

A life of crime is dangerous. You risk your life and freedom. Allergy or not, it is not the ration option to choose.
(October 30, 2016 at 8:59 pm)Macoleco Wrote:

A life of crime is dangerous. You risk your life and freedom. Allergy or not, it is not the ration option to choose.

That depends entirely what one's values are, doesn't it? If one values money more than ones own freedom or life, it could be a very rational decision.
(October 30, 2016 at 8:59 pm)Macoleco Wrote:

The assumption that educated = rational doesn't hold up to scrutiny, in my experience.

Additionally, absent a mental disorder, it seems to me that educated criminals tend to gravitate towards Ponzi schemes and Wall Street derring-do, rather than back-alley stick-ups.

Educated people flew planes into skyscrapers. Perhaps there's data suggesting that intelligent people are less susceptible to ideology, but history is repleat with examples of the carnage that exists at the intersection of intelligence and ideology. Sadly, reasonableness is the first victim meaning that the use of physical force is required to clear out the intersection until the next traffic jam.
I think a lot of educated people tend to commit more types of crimes with more planning, and have this idea that they're so much smarter than the police so they'll get away with it, even to the point of taunting the police. Whereas less educated people tend to commit more crimes of passion or crimes of opportunity, not putting so much thinking into the crime but instead relying to trying to lie their way out of it.

Source: Watching lots and lots of crime documentaries on TruTV, so likely not entirely accurate.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Economics and medicine in general education Macoleco 13 1203 June 13, 2019 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Wow , I have finally reached the last semester of my education :) Megabullshit 14 1661 April 15, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  What Was Your Sex Education Like? Jade-Green Stone 30 2722 October 21, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Linda Brown of Brown v. Board of Education died (76) Cecelia 2 565 March 27, 2018 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How to prevent murders and lower crime rate. mcolafson 27 3304 September 23, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Thought crime Losty 129 12052 April 15, 2016 at 12:23 am
Last Post: Losty
  Levels of Education rexbeccarox 108 13072 November 13, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What are some good crime shows? Elskidor 19 3569 August 30, 2014 at 3:17 am
Last Post: Zack
  Victim of crime. Jacob(smooth) 13 3313 April 3, 2014 at 9:34 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  If Anyone Needs to know why education in the US sucks Minimalist 2 1408 February 13, 2014 at 3:49 am
Last Post: EvolutionKills