Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of blue and red in electoral maps.
History of blue and red in electoral maps.
I knew I was not out of my mind when I thought the media first started using electoral map colors, that they put democrats as red and republicans as blue. 

Those color schemes were not a product of a party choosing  them, but a product of evolving media technology and the advent of color tvs.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/...story.html
RE: History of blue and red in electoral maps.
Ha, ha, I thought I was going insane over that.

Good to know it wasn't just me.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I have an old DOS game from the 80's called President Elect, where you run through different strategies to run for president and win electoral votes.

It uses the Democrat - red Republican - blue scheme when showing the "polls" and election results.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I wonder if the GOP and corporate world pushed for a flip in colors considering the time of the late 70s and early 80s was the height of the Cold War "Red Scare".
(November 4, 2016 at 9:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I wonder if the GOP and corporate world pushed for a flip in colors considering the time of the late 70s and early 80s was the height of the  Cold War "Red Scare".

You must have missed the HUAC hearings in the '50s.  Undecided
(November 5, 2016 at 7:01 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(November 4, 2016 at 9:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I wonder if the GOP and corporate world pushed for a flip in colors considering the time of the late 70s and early 80s was the height of the  Cold War "Red Scare".

You must have missed the HUAC hearings in the '50s.  Undecided

I wasn't alive then. I was born in 66. But I do know enough of history now to know that our right wing bullied religion onto money and into the pledge, and back then racism was horrible not that it isn't today too. And anyone daring to question authority to Joseph McCarthy got accused, many times falsely of being in bed with the enemy.
(November 5, 2016 at 9:07 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 7:01 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You must have missed the HUAC hearings in the '50s.  Undecided

I wasn't alive then. I was born in 66. But I do know enough of history now to know that our right wing bullied religion onto money and into the pledge, and back then racism was horrible not that it isn't today too. And anyone daring to question authority to Joseph McCarthy got accused, many times falsely of being in bed with the enemy.

Yep, far worse than anything in the period you referred to. People lost everything because they wouldn't sign a loyalty oath. And this is laughable because a True Commie Spy would sign that sucker and force it on other people. People of conscience had issues with loyalty oaths for various reasons, and they were punished for not conforming. "Tail Gunner Joe" wound up be disgraced by one of those people.
And for anyone who is wondering, the states are totally red or totally blue, that's just reflective of the way the state tends to vote on average. For example, Austin is a very blue area in a very red state, Texas. I live in a red state, at least it is right now. It's one of four states that might swing this election. I'll be doing my part to make that happen.
Yesterday my state had yeller lines through it. WTF?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 5, 2016 at 9:51 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 9:07 am)Brian37 Wrote: I wasn't alive then. I was born in 66. But I do know enough of history now to know that our right wing bullied religion onto money and into the pledge, and back then racism was horrible not that it isn't today too. And anyone daring to question authority to Joseph McCarthy got accused, many times falsely of being in bed with the enemy.

Yep, far worse than anything in the period you referred to. People lost everything because they wouldn't sign a loyalty oath. And this is laughable because a True Commie Spy would sign that sucker and force it on other people. People of conscience had issues with loyalty oaths for various reasons, and they were punished for not conforming. "Tail Gunner Joe" wound up be disgraced by one of those people.

Mein Drumpf is desperately trying to revive all that hyper nationalistic Jim Crow bigotry and cold war McCarthyism. Trump is the most vile candidate ever to run for president in our entire history. When you have your followers shout "execute her" there is no excuse for that and when you pander to that hate you don't get to claim you didn't intend to stoke fear to that level.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 2 377 April 2, 2024 at 4:12 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2375 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 3779 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1558 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1704 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3721 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1350 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4070 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential history. Brian37 16 1212 January 4, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Raven about Polls ..... History or myth? Brian37 9 1265 October 14, 2020 at 8:41 am