Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's the day...
Today's the day...
I submit my application to test for my state boards. I have my photo, which was the only thing holding things up. I will give it to my teacher today and they will drop the envelope in the mail this afternoon.

I am so freakin excited!!

I should get my "approval to test" letter in the next two weeks Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: Today's the day...
Congrats!

Happy for you, Nympha. Hard work begets awesome results!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Thanks MCB Heart

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about taking the test.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Knock them dead. You obviously own this.
Thanks Whatevs. I still have a lot of work to do.
(November 7, 2016 at 6:29 am)Nymphadora Wrote: I still have a lot of work to do.

Probably so. And that's why I'm sure you'll do great. It's the people who think they've reached the finish line who are most likely to do poorly.

Go get 'em!
I have every confidence in you. 

Although I don't understand why you need to qualify to test, why you need to be approved? Don't all grads get the chance to take boards? Maybe I could get some splanin.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Okay...in the US it is illegal in any state to practice cosmetology (hair, skin, nails), for profit, without a license.

The states hold us to the same standards, ethically, as any person who's trade requires a license. People who are in this industry have to touch people, (we are one of the few trades other than doctors and nurses that can touch clients) and as such, we are required to know and practice safety and sanitation. In addition, we must know and practice the Universal Precautions that any licensed professional (read medical personnel) knows.

Universal Precautions are basically this: you must treat everyone you touch as if they had a disease that could be spread to others via blood or other bodily fluid, even if they do not have such a disease. Knowing this and putting it to practice, is what determines whether or not you can safely perform a requested service to your client.

The states also require this licensing so that they know we have had the required number of hours (varies from state to state), for training and education. In PA, we have to have x number of hours for nails, skin and hair. We also have to know anatomy, biology, chemistry, myology, trichology and we have to be able to identify nail, skin and hair diseases. Did you know that dandruff is actually contagious, and by law, you cannot have a stylist work on your hair if you have it? Of course, stylists will still cut your hair, regardless, because most clients have no clue that dandruff is spreadable to others.

We work with chemicals that can burn the skin ( the lye in some relaxers) or cause an allergic reaction (color with analine derivatives is one example). We use appliances and tools that can hurt or cause harm (shears, flat irons, curling irons, metal combs, just to me a few). The states want to ensure that the person working with the public in this capacity, knows how to properly mix and use chemicals, can safely use tools designed for the trade and knows what to do in the event of an emergency.

Depending on the state, a cosmetologist cannot touch certain parts of the body when doing certain types of procedures. For example; if you wanted a facial, by law, I cannot massage past your collarbone. If you wanted me to do that, I would need a masseuse license. If you wanted me to give you a manicure, I cannot, by law, massage your arms past the elbow. It's those things that make up the difference between what I can and cannot do, by law.

If you bring your child in to get their hair cut, and they move, causing a stylist to cut their skin, the stylist, by law has to follow an 8 step procedure for taking care of not only the injury, but any blood that gets on any surfaces, including, the shears, the cape, the floor etc. The state tests us on our knowledge of what to do and in what steps we have to do it in.

Incidentally, I keep a blood spill kit at my station at all times. I have nicked myself twice, since being on the salon floor, due to point cutting.

So if you want to know more, you can google State Board of Cosmetology for PA or, you can go to PearsonVue.com and find the requirements for PA applicants and see what I will be tested on Smile

I hope I answered some of your questions.
(November 7, 2016 at 8:55 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I have every confidence in you. 

Although I don't understand why you need to qualify to test, why you need to be approved? Don't all grads get the chance to take boards? Maybe I could get some splanin.

Oh, I also wanted to add that in PA, after 900 hours of completed instruction, we can test early, prior to graduation. If we pass, we won't get our actual license until the school has sent the transcripts to the State Board showing we completed the required number of hours. They then send our license about a week or two later.

As far as qualifying, we must meet certain requirements, such as passing a background check. The reason for this comes down to the question of being a person of sound, moral character. Just because a person chooses to enter this field and obtain an education with the required number of hours etc, does not mean that the state will issue them a license. If they have an extensive criminal history or have a history of abuse of drugs or alcohol (DUI's etc), the state can find that they are not of sound, moral character and can refuse them a license.
(November 7, 2016 at 10:13 am)Nymphadora Wrote:
(November 7, 2016 at 8:55 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I have every confidence in you. 

Oh, I also wanted to add that in PA, after 900 hours of completed instruction, we can test early, prior to graduation. If we pass, we won't get our actual license until the school has sent the transcripts to the State Board showing we completed the required number of hours. They then send our license about a week or two later.

As far as qualifying, we must meet certain requirements, such as passing a background check. The reason for this comes down to the question of being a person of sound, moral character. Just because a person chooses to enter this field and obtain an education with the required number of hours etc, does not mean that the state will issue them a license. If they have an extensive criminal history or have a history of abuse of drugs or alcohol (DUI's etc), the state can find that they are not of sound, moral character and can refuse them a license.

So this is to test early? Good for you!

Back in the day, the term in my field was "moral turpitude".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3668 198030 8 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 69 925 April 20, 2024 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1083 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2269 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 683 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1114 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1096 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 514 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3547 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 639 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37