Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unloading
Unloading
My baby's autopsy report finally came back... which we've been waiting for since he died in August. 

They confirmed a lot of the stuff they saw on the sonogram: poor brain development, delayed anatomical development, an enlarged and dysfunctional placenta, and some deformities to the face. They were not able to confirm or rule out that he had spina bifida, which was something else they thought they might have seen on the sonogram. 

Unfortunately, they were still not able to give any answers as to WHY this all happened, either. Genetic testing of his DNA showed us months ago that his genes were fine. So a chromosomal abnormality such as down syndrome or Edwards syndrome had already been ruled out. They were not able to positively identify whether there was an infection present that may have caused all this, either. So yeah. We've waited for months for this autopsy to come back, and are still no wiser now than we were on the day we found out he had problems, back in July. 

The scariest part about not knowing is that I don't know what to do to prevent this from happening again. It would be extremely difficult for me to have a child with disabilities. It would emotionally destroy me to see my child struggle though life... especially knowing how sensitive both my husband and I are and assuming my child would be just as sensitive as us. For him to have to deal with such difficulties would break my heart. 

On Dec 1st, we are meeting with a geneticist to see if any further testing can be done on myself and my husband that might help shed some light, if at all possible. Until then, we still can't try for another baby yet.

And honestly don't even want a baby anymore. I just want one because I want to have one for my husband... and so we can be a family. But the prospect of being pregnant again and going to the OB for sonograms in fear of what they might find is absolutely terrifying to me and is already giving me a lot of anxiety. If it was entirely up to me, and if my husband didn't care about being a dad, I would just say "forget it". Not because I don't want a baby, but because of the fear. I was in a tremendously dark place during the portion of my pregnancy when I knew my baby had major problems. 

Another fear of mine is that I'm getting older and that I'll never be able to have the healthy babies that I always envisioned being able to have with my husband. What if I can't get pregnant again? What if they just keep dying? What if I'm able to have one but he/she is severely defected like the last one was, and I'm not able to have a healthy one after that? I'm running out of time here. I'm not young enough to afford this. 

For any theists reading this, please pray for me. So that I may have the strength to endure whatever is to come. If my meeting with the geneticist turns up nothing and gives us no further answers, I feel all I can do at that point is put my faith in God and in myself to get through whatever comes of all this.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Unloading
So sorry for you. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I rehiterate how sad I feel for you. But don't lose hope. Carefull though, as I have a friend that his born son died and she after that got 2 identical twin little girls. So yeah. You have my best wishes Heart
damn that's a tough read . . . .

I don't know how to fix any of that. I'm a control freak, it's my function. Sometimes we hear things at 12 Steppers too, it sounds so trite and clichéd to say "keep coming back" but that's all I got.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Sorry you didn't find out anything specific. Do the genetic testing, then time to move on.

You have a lot of negative "what if's" in there. All based off the very unfortunate tragic outcome of one pregnancy. One pregnancy does not a pattern make.

Don't let irrational fears of "what if (insert the worst)" control your life. That is no way to live!

The best thing is that you get to try again. Don't throw that away on what if's. 

How about some positives: What if you give birth to the next great genius. What if you give birth to the first human to reach Mars. What if your child unites the world. What if the next pregnancy is flawless. The what if game can be played both ways.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 17, 2016 at 2:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: My baby's autopsy report finally came back... which we've been waiting for since he died in August. 

They confirmed a lot of the stuff they saw on the sonogram: poor brain development, delayed anatomical development, an enlarged and dysfunctional placenta, and some deformities to the face. They were not able to confirm or rule out that he had spina bifida, which was something else they thought they might have seen on the sonogram. 

Unfortunately, they were still not able to give any answers as to WHY this all happened, either. Genetic testing of his DNA showed us months ago that his genes were fine. So a chromosomal abnormality such as down syndrome or Edwards syndrome had already been ruled out. They were not able to positively identify whether there was an infection present that may have caused all this, either. So yeah. We've waited for months for this autopsy to come back, and are still no wiser now than we were on the day we found out he had problems, back in July. 

The scariest part about not knowing is that I don't know what to do to prevent this from happening again. It would be extremely difficult for me to have a child with disabilities. It would emotionally destroy me to see my child struggle though life... especially knowing how sensitive both my husband and I are and assuming my child would be just as sensitive as us. For him to have to deal with such difficulties would break my heart. 

On Dec 1st, we are meeting with a geneticist to see if any further testing can be done on myself and my husband that might help shed some light, if at all possible. Until then, we still can't try for another baby yet.

And honestly don't even want a baby anymore. I just want one because I want to have one for my husband... and so we can be a family. But the prospect of being pregnant again and going to the OB for sonograms in fear of what they might find is absolutely terrifying to me and is already giving me a lot of anxiety. If it was entirely up to me, and if my husband didn't care about being a dad, I would just say "forget it". Not because I don't want a baby, but because of the fear. I was in a tremendously dark place during the portion of my pregnancy when I knew my baby had major problems. 

Another fear of mine is that I'm getting older and that I'll never be able to have the healthy babies that I always envisioned being able to have with my husband. What if I can't get pregnant again? What if they just keep dying? What if I'm able to have one but he/she is severely defected like the last one was, and I'm not able to have a healthy one after that? I'm running out of time here. I'm not young enough to afford this. 

For any theists reading this, please pray for me. So that I may have the strength to endure whatever is to come. If my meeting with the geneticist turns up nothing and gives us no further answers, I feel all I can do at that point is put my faith in God and in myself to get through whatever comes of all this.

Well that sucks.
Please know that I want the best for you and hope it all works out well.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:poor brain development, delayed anatomical development, an enlarged and dysfunctional placenta,

There are much finer medical minds than mine on this board but I can certainly see how #3 could cause #'s 1 and 2.  I don't know if this will help but you might look it over.

http://www.healthline.com/health/placent...ufficiency

Quote:Outlook

Placental insufficiency can’t be cured, but it can be managed. It’s extremely important to receive an early diagnosis and adequate prenatal care. These can improve the baby’s chances of normal growth and decrease the risks of birth complications. According to Mount Sinai Hospital, the best outlook occurs when the condition is caught between 12 and 20 weeks. 

Your OB-GYN should be your first point of contact.

Good luck, dear.
No words C_L.

I truly hope you find some answers with the genetic testing, and with a doctor whom you trust, answers to the questions about recurring issues in future pregnancies. My sister lost a pregnancy (her second) and was plagued with intense difficulties with all of her three pregnancies. She had extreme morning sickness, extended fatigue and overall malaise. But after the lost pregnancy, she had a wonderful baby boy named Benjamin that is just an unbridled joy. I know she had the same fears. If you want I could put you in touch with her.

Have you thought about adoption as a solution?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Heart
I hope you learn something, CL. Good luck
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Emotional unloading Foxaèr 30 3396 October 8, 2015 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Longhorn