Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: August 7, 2022, 12:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
#1
Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
[Image: 1%2B-%2Bwise-men.jpg]

So, it's Christmas. Yay! It's always been my favorite holiday since I was little, there's just something about the beauty of a Christmas tree lit up that I adore! I love how the darkness is lit all throughout my home state of Colorado. Coloradans know how to do Christmas! So, today I started up my holiday cheer with some Trans Siberia Orchestra, Carol of the Bells! I loved that movie Home Alone, and that orchestra and that movie come hand in hand with several other Christmas time references that just make this time of year special for me.

But my mom just popped off randomly, "Can you just.. turn that off?" I asked why. She said, "You're just blowing my mind right now, it's too much."

Curious, I asked her why I was blowing her mind and she said, "Because that's a song about Christ and you're an atheist!"

I.. didn't even know what to say. After a bit, I pulled my jaw back up and said, "So what?"

We went through this whole thing of how she's been wondering what songs she could play around me and whatnot now that I'm an atheist (I was raised, a Christian from birth). I simply replied, "Whatever makes you happy".

So I turned back on the feed and kept listening to Christmas music! Annnndddd she popped off again during one of my personal favorites, "Little Drummer Boy" by saying, "You know that's about three wise men who traveled for years to find Jesus right?" And I was like, uh, why are we talking about this right now??? It's not like I haven't been told that by you since birth!

Well, anyways she kinda ruined my holiday cheer.

So I thought I'd take a look into these "three wise men". And it turns out, it doesn't say that at all? It calls whomever came, "Magi" which were well known to be astrologer/astromers (which was considered a science at the time), and rather than Kings themselves, they served Kings. The original wording in the bible states that they found Mary with the child not necessarily in a barn but rather the same word used for a house, and it may not have even been at the time of his birth! Most likely they were in the back room that families had where they kept their prized animals--which are also used as makeshift guest rooms. Apparently, Josephs family might not have been too keen on Mary's infidelity and made them sleep in the Donkey Suite. xD Oh, if you're wondering when the Magi found Jesus, according to the bible it's far later than his birth. So the birth of Jesus tale is just that.. a Tale.

Christians if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe your own Christian historians?

http://www.bible.ca/D-Xmas-story.htm


Look up what I'm saying if you want, I don't mind a good critique!  I like to both learn and share knowledge.

Here's something interesting in the headlines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...131518.htm

Quote:Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph, and Jacob. But archaeologists have shown that camels were not domesticated in the Land of Israel until centuries after the Age of the Patriarchs (2000-1500 BCE). In addition to challenging the Bible's historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes.

Now Dr. Erez Ben-Yosef and Dr. Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the moment when domesticated camels arrived in the southern Levant, pushing the estimate from the 12th to the 9th century BCE. The findings, published recently in the journal Tel Aviv, further emphasize the disagreements between Biblical texts and verifiable history, and define a turning point in Israel's engagement with the rest of the world.

"The introduction of the camel to our region was a very important economic and social development," said Dr. Ben-Yosef. "By analyzing archaeological evidence from the copper production sites of the Aravah Valley, we were able to estimate the date of this event in terms of decades rather than centuries."

Speaking of Camels, take a look at this find!

Giant Camel Fossil Found in Canadian Arctic


Over the course of three expeditions, which began in 2006, researchers from the Canadian Museum of Nature collected 30 fragments of fossilised leg bone from Ellesmere Island in Canada.

Their size suggested that the animal was about 30% larger that today's camels, measuring about 2.7m from foot to shoulder.


[Image: _42178865_camel_ap416.jpg]

Quote:Dr Buckley said: "These biomolecules tell us that it is a direct ancestor of modern camels."
He said the findings provided a new insight into the evolution of this animal.
"It suggests that many of the adaptations that we currently think of, in terms of camels being adapted to warm desert-like environments, could have actually originated through adaptation to quite the opposite extreme... cold, harsh environments," he explained.
The scientists believe that the camel's hump (which stores fat, not water as is sometimes thought) could provide the reserves needed for an Arctic six-month winter.
Their large eyes would have helped them to see in the low light, and their flat feet would have been just as useful for walking on snow as they are on sand. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-21673940


Rather funny how my whole day's worth of Christmas journey ended with camels, but hey. I know I've heard other Biblical tale inaccuracies surrounding the birth of Jesus Christ mentioned on this forum, so, let's point them out!

Oh here's another one!

Nazareth, The City That Never Was

The evidence for a 1st century town of Nazareth does not exist – not literary, not archaeologically, and not historically.
http://www.thenazareneway.com/nazarene_or_nazareth.htm

If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Reply
#2
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
[Image: BahHumbug.gif~c200]
“The man who can't visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
~ André Breton
Reply
#3
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
I know I know.. it's not even December yet!

[Image: thanksgiving-meme-13.png]
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Reply
#4
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
(November 26, 2016 at 10:57 pm)Luckie Wrote: [Image: 1%2B-%2Bwise-men.jpg]

So, it's Christmas. Yay! It's always been my favorite holiday since I was little, there's just something about the beauty of a Christmas tree lit up that I adore! I love how the darkness is lit all throughout my home state of Colorado. Coloradans know how to do Christmas! So, today I started up my holiday cheer with some Trans Siberia Orchestra, Carol of the Bells! I loved that movie Home Alone, and that orchestra and that movie come hand in hand with several other Christmas time references that just make this time of year special for me.

But my mom just popped off randomly, "Can you just.. turn that off?" I asked why. She said, "You're just blowing my mind right now, it's too much."

Curious, I asked her why I was blowing her mind and she said, "Because that's a song about Christ and you're an atheist!"

I.. didn't even know what to say. After a bit, I pulled my jaw back up and said, "So what?"

We went through this whole thing of how she's been wondering what songs she could play around me and whatnot now that I'm an atheist (I was raised, a Christian from birth). I simply replied, "Whatever makes you happy".

So I turned back on the feed and kept listening to Christmas music! Annnndddd she popped off again during one of my personal favorites, "Little Drummer Boy" by saying, "You know that's about three wise men who traveled for years to find Jesus right?" And I was like, uh, why are we talking about this right now??? It's not like I haven't been told that by you since birth!

Well, anyways she kinda ruined my holiday cheer.

So I thought I'd take a look into these "three wise men". And it turns out, it doesn't say that at all? It calls whomever came, "Magi" which were well known to be astrologer/astromers (which was considered a science at the time), and rather than Kings themselves, they served Kings. The original wording in the bible states that they found Mary with the child not necessarily in a barn but rather the same word used for a house, and it may not have even been at the time of his birth! Most likely they were in the back room that families had where they kept their prized animals--which are also used as makeshift guest rooms. Apparently, Josephs family might not have been too keen on Mary's infidelity and made them sleep in the Donkey Suite. xD Oh, if you're wondering when the Magi found Jesus, according to the bible it's far later than his birth. So the birth of Jesus tale is just that.. a Tale.

Christians if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe your own Christian historians?

http://www.bible.ca/D-Xmas-story.htm



Look up what I'm saying if you want, I don't mind a good critique!  I like to both learn and share knowledge.

Here's something interesting in the headlines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...131518.htm

Quote:Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph, and Jacob. But archaeologists have shown that camels were not domesticated in the Land of Israel until centuries after the Age of the Patriarchs (2000-1500 BCE). In addition to challenging the Bible's historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes.

Now Dr. Erez Ben-Yosef and Dr. Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the moment when domesticated camels arrived in the southern Levant, pushing the estimate from the 12th to the 9th century BCE. The findings, published recently in the journal Tel Aviv, further emphasize the disagreements between Biblical texts and verifiable history, and define a turning point in Israel's engagement with the rest of the world.

"The introduction of the camel to our region was a very important economic and social development," said Dr. Ben-Yosef. "By analyzing archaeological evidence from the copper production sites of the Aravah Valley, we were able to estimate the date of this event in terms of decades rather than centuries."

Speaking of Camels, take a look at this find!

Giant Camel Fossil Found in Canadian Arctic


Over the course of three expeditions, which began in 2006, researchers from the Canadian Museum of Nature collected 30 fragments of fossilised leg bone from Ellesmere Island in Canada.

Their size suggested that the animal was about 30% larger that today's camels, measuring about 2.7m from foot to shoulder.


[Image: _42178865_camel_ap416.jpg]

Quote:Dr Buckley said: "These biomolecules tell us that it is a direct ancestor of modern camels."
He said the findings provided a new insight into the evolution of this animal.
"It suggests that many of the adaptations that we currently think of, in terms of camels being adapted to warm desert-like environments, could have actually originated through adaptation to quite the opposite extreme... cold, harsh environments," he explained.
The scientists believe that the camel's hump (which stores fat, not water as is sometimes thought) could provide the reserves needed for an Arctic six-month winter.
Their large eyes would have helped them to see in the low light, and their flat feet would have been just as useful for walking on snow as they are on sand. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-21673940


Rather funny how my whole day's worth of Christmas journey ended with camels, but hey. I know I've heard other Biblical tale inaccuracies surrounding the birth of Jesus Christ mentioned on this forum, so, let's point them out!

Oh here's another one!

Nazareth, The City That Never Was

The evidence for a 1st century town of Nazareth does not exist – not literary, not archaeologically, and not historically.
http://www.thenazareneway.com/nazarene_or_nazareth.htm


[/quote]

Another thing to blow your mind; using the word "magi" indicates that the three bearing gifts were zoroastrian priests. Now, why would christianity reference an unconnected "heathen" religion in its main liturgy?
The great appear great because we are on our knees. Let us rise!
Big James
Reply
#5
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
Hmmm to make its story cohesive as possible with OT prophecies?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Reply
#6
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
I thought one of the Magi was an entertainer/comedian. He brought mirth. Go ahead, look it up!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem




Reply
#7
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
Hilarious
Reply
#8
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
(November 26, 2016 at 10:57 pm)Luckie Wrote:





First of all, most Christians know,or should know that Christmas is a pagan tradition...

After Claudius expelled the Jews (Bear in mind that the early Christians were Jews) from Rome, the newly converted Roman Christians began adding their pagan traditions to Christianity.

For example, Jesus was not born on December 25, as you may know; this was around the time Pagan Rome celebrated Saturnalia.

Also you are correct about Jesus being around 2 years old when the wise men showed up.

As far as the Nazarene's, they are first mentioned in the book of numbers, the most notable Nazarite besides Jesus is Samson (which is why he was forbidden to cut his hair).




The term 'Nazarite' is given because of a vow one takes, not because he hails from a city named "Nazareth".
Reply
#9
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
Thanks Huggy, I think this is a good thread to set things straight for believers and nonbelievers alike! You'd be surprised how little Christians give a fuck about actually reading the Bible. Of course, I could say the same about other religions with regards to mental laziness in their reasoning for beliefs--or non beliefs! However since Christianity chose me, I choose it to debunk this holiday. ^__^

Minimalist, I see you lurkin. Care to throw in some of your 'old wise man' knowledge and links? Wink
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Reply
#10
RE: Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality
Quote:The term 'Nazarite' is given because of a vow one takes, not because he hails from a city named "Nazareth".

And they still exist, Hugs.


http://www.nazarite.net/home.html



Quote:The Nazarite Site was built to bring believers to the truth by exposing the twisted man-made doctrines of modern-day Churchianity known as the Great Apostasy in Scripture. Many people, including myself have fallen victim to these false doctrines taught by the Christian Churches. The Sunday observant Christian Churches practice and teach doctrines that are not Scriptural and in most cases are deeply rooted in pagan traditions, especially that which originated in pagan sun-worship.

Of course, they are nuts too but they are still out there.
Reply



Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palm Sunday Traditions Dundee 22 1055 April 17, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Relic to return to Bethlehem in time for Christmas zebo-the-fat 18 1212 December 8, 2019 at 7:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Christmas again! zebo-the-fat 14 817 December 2, 2019 at 6:50 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 2206 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 805 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Tomato 60 8551 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 16654 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 11892 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 2468 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Keep Santa in Christmas Doubting Thomas 28 2295 December 7, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: vorlon13



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)