Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Trump supporters and Christians have in common
What Trump supporters and Christians have in common
I was just sitting here reading Facebook posts thinking of how Trump said Obama was the founder of Isis. Any rational person knows he said it knowing some people would just outright believe him and the rest would get fired up, even though they knew it wasn't factual. I thought about responding to an uncle's funny anti-Trump post by saying "Obama founded Isis!" and then realized Trump supporters in our family would just pop in and cite "context" as the reason it's okay for Trump to say completely and utterly false things and still have supporters that should know better. That's the exact same thing a Christian would say when you point out atrocities in the Bible. God doesn't want you to beat your family. It's all about context. That kind of thing. It's no surprise that the folks who let this fucking anglerfish through are mainly the right-wing Christians. They're used to making the same arguments and suffering under the same delusions that would lead to "faith" in Donald Trump.
RE: What Trump supporters and Christians have in common
It's not even about the exact things he's saying, IMO. It's about his anti-message. People love hearing outrageous things they would only dream of saying themselves.

They've bought into the myth of PC culture, and saying things that are "un-PC" is like crack to them. I mean the man was at a rally and was talking about how Time Magazine changed it to "Person of the Year." He asked the crowd if they'd rather it be "Man of the Year" again, and this crowd half full of women went berserk with glee. They aren't really listening to his actual words. They would cheer literally anything he says.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(December 13, 2016 at 1:30 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: It's not even about the exact things he's saying, IMO. It's about his anti-message. People love hearing outrageous things they would only dream of saying themselves.

They've bought into the myth of PC culture, and saying things that are "un-PC" is like crack to them. I mean the man was at a rally and was talking about how Time Magazine changed it to "Person of the Year." He asked the crowd if they'd rather it be "Man of the Year" again, and this crowd half full of women went berserk with glee. They aren't really listening to his actual words. They would cheer literally anything he says.

I know there like seals he makes the right noises and they blindly clap
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Neither of them can tell fact from fiction, either.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The Know-Nothing Party has been re-born.
It is rather disgusting. I had a loved one actually excuse his pussy grabbing comments by saying "people change." Um, yeah, but I would rather have a president who ever thought that was okay, assuming he even has changed. That very same week, an insane Christian I met online years ago and is friends with a few of my acquaintances told me he wouldn't blame a guy if he grabbed my crotch to make sure "I wasn't packing" because of the type of language I use. To be honest, I'd love him to try it and give me an excuse.
A friend of mine is a full-blown conspiracy nutter, and based on the small amount of stuff he has liked/commented on Facebook I am not surprised that Trump's "Obama created ISIS" line resonates with people. That's pretty mild as accusations go, what with so many who are convinced that Hillary was running a child prostitution ring out of a pizza shop.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
It's nuts to think just how much of this country's population is comprised of complete morons.
Here's the thing, though. Can we (I mean liberals/progressives) win elections when we frame everyone else as morons? We are just as complicit as everyone else in creating an us vs. them binary. I mean, the tiniest, internetiest portion of Trump's base are the ones who are buying into the conspiracy theories and other idiocy. The average Trump supporter isn't going to rallies and cheering when he basically lies and misrepresents shit. Some people held their nose and voted for him just like I held my nose and voted for Hillary. Because the policies, to me, are more important than the fucking shitty ass candidate.

The same can be said of avid supporters of any candidate. They will hear what they want to hear. I think a lot of the die hard Bernie supporters were the same way. He's going to wipe out my student debt! He's going to make healthcare free for all! He's going to end lobbying and money in politics! No, he wasn't. But a lot of us heard that and got super excited because those issues are important to us, even if they were unrealistic. It's not the same as the racism and populism that Trump espouses, but it is there nonetheless.

I just don't trust liberals to vote, because most are going to have no change in their lives regardless of who is in office. By and large they say the social issues are important to them, but most are never going to have/need an abortion, most are not members of the LGBT community, most live in places where idiots with AR-15s at the local Sonic is not an issue, and therefore most are vocal supporters of those issues, but when push comes to shove, they don't care enough to vote.

So when we create this dichotomy where everyone who voted for Trump is a cretinous moron, we shore up the phenomena where even though they may be second guessing, they dig in and double down. Conservatives fucking vote. They have that going for them in spades. They will continue to win gubernatorial elections and congressional elections because liberals and progressives don't fucking care enough to be interested in getting off their asses. That is galling to me.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(December 13, 2016 at 3:19 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Here's the thing, though. Can we (I mean liberals/progressives) win elections when we frame everyone else as morons? We are just as complicit as everyone else in creating an us vs. them binary.

I think most far left liberals are morons too. Besides, my statement wasn't to say they are all morons. I'm friends with a lot of them. It is to say I'm surprised at how many morons have become obvious since this election. I mean there are a fucking lot of idiots.

Quote:I mean, the tiniest, internetiest portion of Trump's base are the ones who are buying into the conspiracy theories and other idiocy. The average Trump supporter isn't going to rallies and cheering when he basically lies and misrepresents shit.

I'd like to agree with you, but my experience tells me different. Sure, most of them aren't going to rallies, but I've seen a ton of people I would have thought good and decent people believe the lies.

Quote:Some people held their nose and voted for him just like I held my nose and voted for Hillary. Because the policies, to me, are more important than the fucking shitty ass candidate.

Sure, some of them. There are enough that are batshit crazy for me to be concerned.

Quote:The same can be said of avid supporters of any candidate. They will hear what they want to hear. I think a lot of the die hard Bernie supporters were the same way. He's going to wipe out my student debt! He's going to make healthcare free for all! He's going to end lobbying and money in politics! No, he wasn't. But a lot of us heard that and got super excited because those issues are important to us, even if they were unrealistic. It's not the same as the racism and populism that Trump espouses, but it is there nonetheless.

Like I said, lots of idiots on the other end of the spectrum too. The difference is, Bernie's values were all in the right place. He is a good man. That's not a matter of opinion.

Quote:I just don't trust liberals to vote, because most are going to have no change in their lives regardless of who is in office. By and large they say the social issues are important to them, but most are never going to have/need an abortion, most are not members of the LGBT community, most live in places where idiots with AR-15s at the local Sonic is not an issue, and therefore most are vocal supporters of those issues, but when push comes to shove, they don't care enough to vote.

I'm not sure it's just the liberals. I think Democrats in general fucked up. Complacency, inability to take time off work to vote, whatever the case is, they didn't show up.

Quote:So when we create this dichotomy where everyone who voted for Trump is a cretinous moron, we shore up the phenomena where even though they may be second guessing, they dig in and double down.

But I don't believe they are all cretinous morons. I believe that most of the cretinous morons lean Trump, sure. I'm merely pointing out that decent people need to have some serious cognitive dissonance to support Trump.

Quote:Conservatives fucking vote. They have that going for them in spades. They will continue to win gubernatorial elections and congressional elections because liberals and progressives don't fucking care enough to be interested in getting off their asses. That is galling to me.

I find it weird, but they vote in my neck of the woods. We had 75% registered voter turnout.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1060 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Question for the Trump supporters The Valkyrie 33 3151 June 13, 2020 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Zepp
  Trump supporters made a very interesting video brewer 19 1461 October 15, 2019 at 7:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump supporters-why are they so sensitive? A Godzilla fan 27 1956 September 5, 2019 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Drich
  [Serious] Dozens Of Crazed Trump Supporters Form “Human Wall” Along Southern Border Cepheus Ace 40 2651 February 19, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36908 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  How messed up are Trump Supporters? Minimalist 463 36845 January 23, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Stop trying to reason with Trump supporters GODZILLA 21 2484 January 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump and his right-wing blowjob supporters. Jehanne 3 739 April 22, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Who is the bigger idiot? Trump or his supporters? GODZILLA 17 1680 March 31, 2018 at 10:03 am
Last Post: henryp