Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely
Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely
Hello, I am hoping someone can explain the atheist viewpoint to me on the validity and probability of God's existence.

Most atheists will claim that the facts show the concept of a God to be so utterly unlikely as to be considered impossible.

But, this is not what the facts show at all.

The theory of Evolution does not explain the origin of life, nor can it explain the existence of life from the first organic cell onward.

How does natural selection explain the eye, for example? How can atheists claim that complex organs like the eye could have evolved, when everything we know about the eye says that it is useless unless all the components are in place at the same time.

As for reptile-mammal transition evidence, where is it in "evidence"?

What are the actual mechanics that achieve it? Not speculation, actual. Not variation in a genus [which evolutionists cling to as being evolution]. Biological changes where a living entity can be observed to be changing into something different, breaching the barriers of its DNA.

For reptiles to become mammals, that breach must have happened. So, someone please show where reptiles are in a state of doing so today - where that transition is taking place.

The facts show that what is overwhelmingly in evidence is what the Bible itself says, that like begets like, and we  all rely on that to occur in all facets of life, from growing/eating fruit and vegetables through to human/animal procreation.

It seems that the evidence supports the concept of God, rather than the atheistic claim that "God probably doesn't exist".
RE: Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely
You believe in magic?
Hard thing is telling the Poes from the real theists.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I am glad you know what atheists think better than atheists themselves, please, do continue...

(December 28, 2016 at 4:17 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Hard thing is telling the Poes from the real theists.

There are non-poe preachers?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 28, 2016 at 4:11 pm)Yadayadayada Wrote: Hello, I am hoping someone can explain the atheist viewpoint to me on the validity and probability of God's existence.

Most atheists will claim that the facts show the concept of a God to be so utterly unlikely as to be considered impossible.

The theory of Evolution does not explain the origin of life, nor can it explain the existence of life from the first organic cell onward.

How does natural selection explain the eye, for example? How can atheists claim that complex organs like the eye could have evolved, when everything we know about the eye says that it is useless unless all the components are in place at the same time.

What are the actual mechanics that achieve it? Not speculation, actual. Not variation in a genus [which evolutionists cling to as being evolution]. Biological changes where a living entity can be observed to be changing into something different, breaching the barriers of its DNA.

For reptiles to become mammals, that breach must have happened. So, someone please show where reptiles are in a state of doing so today - where that transition is taking place.

The facts show that what is overwhelmingly in evidence is what the Bible itself says, that like begets like, and we  all rely on that to occur in all facets of life, from growing/eating fruit and vegetables through to human/animal procreation.

It seems that the evidence supports the concept of God, rather than the atheistic claim that "God probably doesn't exist".

Read a science book once in awhile.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

OP, you can have what ever fantasy concept of god that you like. I choose not to live in a fantasy delusion. 

And we're back to "It's not explained to my satisfaction or comfort level, therefore god. Fantasy can explain it all.".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You not knowing how evolution works is not evidence for a god. That's called a 'god of the gaps fallacy', or an 'argument from ignorance fallacy.' You're arguing that because you're ignorant of how some thing is caused, any explanation you throw at it (i.e. god) is just as likely as any other. This is, of course, not true; therefore the fallacy.

"Biological changes where a living entity can be observed to be changing into something different"

^That's not evolution.

Evolution works because of natural selection, and natural selection works like this:

1. There is variation in traits.
For example, some beetles are green and some are brown.

2. There is differential reproduction.
Since the environment can't support unlimited population growth, not all individuals get to reproduce to their full potential. In this example, green beetles tend to get eaten by birds and survive to reproduce less often than brown beetles do.

3. There is heredity.
The surviving brown beetles have brown baby beetles because this trait has a genetic basis.

4. End result:
The more advantageous trait, brown coloration, which allows the beetle to have more offspring, becomes more common in the population. If this process continues, eventually, all individuals in the population will be brown.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_25
Even if evolution can't explain anything, this does not leave "God" as the only other possibility. (The theory of evolution is not supposed to explain where life came from. That is abiogenesis.)

I generally find the concept of God incoherent. Everyone comes up with something different and even if it makes sense, it's almost never testable. If it isn't testable, there can't be any evidence.

I also find it irrelevant.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
And even if you go with Pascal's Wager you have to consider Cthulhu's Corollary: What I pick the wrong god?
(December 28, 2016 at 4:11 pm)Yadayadayada Wrote: Hello, I am hoping someone can explain the atheist viewpoint to me on the validity and probability of God's existence.

Evolution does not attempt to explain life's origins. I'm not sure why theists want to conflate evolution with abiogenesis. Stating a god did it, or magic, is a non answer. Anyone can say that whatever their god is, did it, and their opinion would be just as valid as any other explanation that can't be tested in a lab.

We actually have a good idea on how eyes came to be, if you want to look it up. I've never heard of reptiles to mammals. Only reptiles to birds. Scales into feathers, for instance.

There's overwhelming evidence that the bible is wrong about a lot of things. Some things it gets right, but a lot it gets wrong.

Unless you have concrete evidence for a specific deity, and not just "I don't know the answer, so I'll stick a god in there", then we can safely assume gods don't exist. Inserting one into gaps in our knowledge doesn't help us further our species.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 6443 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 1982 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god Sicnoo0 20 1410 July 12, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 974 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 7832 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2777 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1909 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 7839 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 15031 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11814 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic