Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to argue against this claim
How to argue against this claim
Hi All,

So Obviously the Bible and god ways are full of evil deeds, and EVIL agenda
Slaves, murders and much more

Some Religious person would say,
Yeah but think of a child that sees a doctor cutting a man legs to save his life.
So like us the child lack of understanding the big picture.

Please give smart way to explain this comparison

Thanks
RE: How to argue against this claim
Think of God as being the doctor cutting a mans leg in front of a child, and who then punishes the child for being traumatized about it.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

So their argument is that the end justifies the means?
An omniscient and all powerful God should be able to find a way to always avoid whacking the kids leg off with a dull ax
If god's only solution to certain "problems" is killing infants, defenseless women and turning young girls into sex slaves, he's not the sharpest god in the god-toolshed. When your god has the morals of Pol Pot, you may want to reconsider your monster worship.

See Numbers 31...

As I've said before, nothing like getting a believer to justify mass murder and sex slavery. Go god go! Squirm believer squirm!
(October 18, 2014 at 10:47 am)sipurtov Wrote: Hi All,

So Obviously the Bible and god ways are full of evil deeds, and EVIL agenda
Slaves, murders and much more

Some Religious person would say,
Yeah but think of a child that sees a doctor cutting a man legs to save his life.
So like us the child lack of understanding the big picture.

Please give smart way to explain this comparison

Thanks

AND after allowing the child to see him cutting the legs off a man to save his life, the doctor writes a children's book about it so future children can also be traumatized. Does he explain why he cut the legs off the man in the crappy book? He does not.

Fun---

But really, the original analogy is just special pleading. It is a rather graphic version of God works in mysterious ways. God is good, so if he does good stuff it shows he's good, and if he does bad stuff, then it's really just our misunderstanding.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Ask them to explain the "big picture" that makes slavery and murder okay.

Ala

"I know slavery seems horrible, but that's just because you didn't understand the bigger picture. For example, sugar was, in the 1700's the modern day equivalent of oil. Economies and nations rode up and down on it, they needed it and the only way to get it in quantities great enough at prices low enough was to leverage slave labor. So slavery is totally legit - in the context of the bigger picture, right?"

"If those slaves wouldn't do what they were told then the sugar could not be produced and quotas would not be met, the only way to ensure that the slaves did as they were told was to murder the ones that did not, and besides...they'd offended their master- legit in the context of the big picture, right?"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
...they are ok because gawd says so, and he is always just.

or something along that
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If god is perfect, then he would be able to teach us with out not letting us see the entire picture. Can't we learn from love? I have raised 3 children with love and they are great people. If I raised them how god has modeled love, I would certainly be in jail. (as I should be)

This entire picture thing is a load of crap. That is the default answer for most questions. It stops questions. I have found asking questions is very healthy, but it upsets the apple cart, so to say. Ask questions...Ask questions...Ask questions
Conversely, you needn't argue at all. You could just politely request that if they cannot explain why something is "good" or "okay" when it's gods will or word when that very same thing would be "not-good", "not okay" in any other instance...that they shut their mouths about how it's "good" or "okay"...because they have no fucking clue - and they've explicitly invoked their own ignorance regarding this matter as an explanation in the first place...so there's really no disputing this unless they'd like to modify their explanation.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god Sicnoo0 20 1481 July 12, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists Who Argue Against Generalizing Ghetto Sheldon 33 2880 October 5, 2021 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6194 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6063 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely Yadayadayada 66 8742 January 4, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18288 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do you argue with religious people? TruthWorthy 54 8303 April 25, 2015 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Razzle
  the case against the case against god chris(tnt)rhol 92 15938 December 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Hey Anti-Theists! Prove Your Claim Neo-Scholastic 85 13630 August 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Don't argue with your elders! LivingNumbers6.626 17 3554 July 16, 2014 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: vorlon13