Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread
Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread
Hello and Happy New Year to you all!

My name's Matt and on a whim I decided to join this forum. So let me tell you a little bit about myself!

I'm 25, and I've recently just gotten out of a very toxic relationship.. with the Catholic Church; such a bad break-up I didn't even bother giving them the "it's not you, it's me" routine.

You know, I see a lot of ex-Catholics leave the religion but I rarely see an ex-Catholic who was as invested as I was in the religion. When I was a teenager, I had issues with anxiety and depression, and I looked to these traditional sources of authority in the church (coming from a Catholic family) as those who could provide answers. I was led to believe that my emotional issues (which I didn't realize were totally common, especially for teenagers, that could be helped by ordinary means) was a result of not being close enough to God. It was this that drew me into an extremely zealous religious life. 

Those who leave the Church are often criticized by Catholics as never having been devout or practicing in the first place, that they were just "cafeteria catholics" who decided they wanted to go their own way for superficial reasons. They say those who leave the church were never properly 'catechized' and wouldn't leave if they knew what the church was really about. None of those criticisms apply to me. I can without a doubt, and without a hint of arrogance, say that I know more about the teachings and history of the Catholic Church than 99.9999% of Catholics, clergy included. I own a small library's worth of religious related books on Catholic apologetics, history, various translations of the Bible, etc. I used to spend at least 90 minutes or so in prayer every single day (two rosaries plus other prayers; that's over 100 Hail Marys for those of you keeping score at home.) I sought to conform every aspect of my life to Catholic teaching, even considering the priesthood at one time. 

So how did a pious and properly catechized young man such as myself find himself in the position of rejecting 'Holy Mother Church'? Well, for that I'll have a longer thread planned in the convert section (even though I wouldn't call myself atheist I felt my skepticism on religion would  be welcomed here), but let it suffice to say that when you stop letting religious fear and terror dominate your life and realize you have a duty to the truth wherever you find it, you'll find the courage to do things, say things, believe things, and disbelieve things you never thought you had in you.

I look forward to chatting with you all!

- Matt
RE: Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread
Welcome Matt.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
welcome to Atheist Forums
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nice to meet you Matt Smile

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Congratulations on breaking your way out! That takes guts when you've been so heavily invested.

I hope things continue to work out well for you.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Howdy! I'm interested to read your next thread and very glad you joined. I love talking to those on the edge, when they either just made their decision or in the process.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Say things you never thought you had in you?

Well, Matt, you may have come to the right place;

The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Greetings! If you do kick the faith to the curb, don't spend a lot of time kicking yourself for the "waste of time". You've learned things that will stand you in good stead in other ways.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Welcome to AF. We'll keep the Catholics here away from you... for now!

[Image: dundundun.jpg]
Welcome, I am looking forward to the rest of your story. I hope you have a long fun stay
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Welcome Matt .. kind of a catchy user name, though I'm sure Redoubtable is well earned. Glad to welcome you here. When you get around to penning your greater reconversion opus I hope you'll tell us what you liked best about life as a catholic as well as the many parts that drove you away.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1202 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1741 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 998 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1885 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5160 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina