Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dumping friends over politics or religion
Dumping friends over politics or religion
Didn't know if this went here, in politics, or religion, so tadaaaaaa!

Would you dump your friend due to political or religious differences?

I have been dumped for being atheist, and I don't give a shit, because ultimately I don't really like those Christians anyway. I have a few theist acquaintances, but they're not really committed to their faith. I just can't be friends with dedicated Christians. They annoy the hell out of me.

Politics. I simply cannot be friends with someone who voted for Trump. I can't. Someone said that we can't look at people and only see what they voted, labeling them as such. She said people who dump friends over politics are part of the problem in this country. She said politics should be separated from friendship. I disagree. How you vote (especially in these elections) says a lot about you. If you can vote into presidency a fool who mimics someone with cerebral palsy, you are a douche bag. End.

What do you think?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: Dumping friends over politics or religion
I never dumped a friend over politics or religion. There was one who's political views I despised with a vengeance. He dumped me for reasons unknown, but I would have continued the friendship.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It depends on whether or not they stopped acting like a friend because of their religion or political ideals. If they don't make it a problem for our friendship, then neither will I.

Everyone has their own boundaries for who they could consider a friend, of course. I won't judge anyone who cuts ties in a friendship if anything between them feels uncomfortable. An uncomfortable friendship doesn't make any sense to me.
I'm pretty tolerant, I guess. I like differing viewpoints but I also choose not to get super close to people who annoy me with their overly strong viewpoints.
100% depends on the following:

1) How close we were to begin with. I'm a lot more tolerant of close friends, more so when it comes to religion.
2) How much they need to have conversations that are damaging to our friendship.

Most of the time, if I know a friend has a starkly differing opinion than mine, I will just avoid those conversations.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
No, but I do take it under advisement. I tend to mentally categorize people, and that unfortunately includes some people I really, really love. It's a difficult time in the US.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(January 21, 2017 at 9:53 pm)Mamacita Wrote: I have been dumped for being atheist, and I don't give a shit, because ultimately I don't really like those Christians anyway.

My wife married an atheist. He became a Christian. This year we celebrate our 26th anniversary. YMMV
(January 21, 2017 at 10:10 pm)Mermaid Wrote: No, but I do take it under advisement. I tend to mentally categorize people, and that unfortunately includes some people I really, really love. It's a difficult time in the US.

See, that's where I'm stuck. I categorize.
Racist.
Misogynist.
Homophobe.
Douche bag.
Etc.

If someone can listen to someone who spouts out all of the above, then take him and consider he'd be a fit president, I don't see how I can like them. At all. I can't think, "Oh, you're a little racist, but you're otherwise a nice person." No. Fuck that.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
I'd probably never be friends with one of his neo-nazi fans to begin with.  They are simply despicable pieces of shit.

The ones who fell for his horseshit because they want to believe that con artist has actual solutions to their problems are a somewhat different case.  I tend to think they are fools but I still want to be there when it dawns on them how badly they have been fucked by the Orange Turd.
A vote or a religion cannot describe the entirety of a person. There is no single metric with which the merit of the worth of a person as a friend can be measured. I'll say right now that there are people who voted for Trump who were "close" to me in some way or another whose true colors shone during the election. I've learned more about them, not because of who they voted for, but because of what they were willing to say and do when it became okay to say and do those things. I've made decisions based on that. I also know people who voted for Trump who are still genuine and kind, if a bit naive. Anyway, nope. Voting preference and religion do not determine who my friends are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things your family/friends have done you wish. Brian37 5 507 October 19, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Of gender/breadwinners/ and politics. Brian37 0 393 January 21, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2950 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hanging out at a friends house last night. Brian37 45 4792 November 26, 2018 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1783 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer? Why Would I Keep My Enemies Close? Rhondazvous 26 3461 January 8, 2018 at 9:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  I Can See Dumping God....But Wine? Minimalist 0 368 June 27, 2017 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  hi i'm tori wanna be friends?! Shell B 45 5011 April 16, 2017 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Brian37
Heart Important To All My Friends: Seriously taking an AF break. Edwardo Piet 49 3996 December 5, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Sad Goddamned asshole "friends" Aractus 7 1250 November 1, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32