Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National symbols
National symbols
So I was struck with a weird thought the other day.

Looking around here in Kiwiland I noted that the national symbol is the Kiwi.

Now this is the country that was once home to a Haast eagle, one of the largest eagles ever identified, which would make a great national symbol.  Instead they chose a rather plain, ugly, flightless bird.

And before any Aussies laugh, the national emblem for Oz is a large, bouncy mouse...
Dying to live, living to die.
RE: National symbols
Ours (the US) was going to be a turkey until cooler heads prevailed. 

Some would say now it's a baboon. (um, not me - yet)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 29, 2017 at 4:49 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Ours (the US) was going to be a turkey until cooler heads prevailed. 

Some would say now it's a baboon. (um, not me - yet)

Never a baboon.

They have charm, wit, and sophistication.  Unlike a certain, unnamed, president you guys now have.
Eagle here. The sickle stands for farmers and the hammer for workers. The broken chain stands for getting rid of German occupation.

[Image: 50010510.jpg]
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It's about as important as high-school mascots to me. In other words, not at all important.

Speaking of which, my high-school mascot was a tornado... in Oregon... home of all those west coast USA tornadoes you keep hearing about all the time.
Hey! Kiwis are adorable!

Aw, you're making it sad. There there, little almost velociraptor...

[Image: 3e600ac11e30cf3d192e6e37f109638a.jpg]
(January 29, 2017 at 4:53 pm)Jesster Wrote: It's about as important as high-school mascots to me. In other words, not at all important.

Speaking of which, my high-school mascot was a tornado... in Oregon... home of all those west coast USA tornadoes you keep hearing about all the time.

I'm blown away by that.

It would be like Christchurch declaring the shaking earth or a collapsing building to be their new symbol...
Oh god were would I begin

[Image: symbols-of-canada-source.jpg]

Pop Symbols

[Image: ca-prova.gif]

The provincial shields

[Image: Canadian_Army_Symbol1.jpg]
The Canadian military
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

My town has the owl. 

My nearest city has the bee, relating to the British Industrial revolution in Manchester.

looking at it optimistically I suppose a bee is a hard worker, pessamistically though it's like we've been represented by mindless, overweight drones who work til they die to make honey for someone else.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

We're big on our bald eagles out here. It is a very pretty, kind of wise-looking bird. 

San Diego's sports teams include the Padres (baseball) and the Gulls (minor-league hockey, Anaheim Ducks affiliate). The Padres were names for the Franciscan friars that founded our city,. Gulls? I don't know, but I think we have a fair amount of those flying around. Pretty cool bird.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 703 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What's everybody doing for National Drinking Day? GUBU 23 1713 March 19, 2022 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  It's National Bacon Day brewer 21 1986 December 30, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  National Nurses Week! chimp3 10 956 May 9, 2018 at 12:54 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  What National Day is today? Foxaèr 63 8766 August 3, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Happy National Dog Day. Whateverist 0 621 August 26, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  National anthems are scarey! Nine 91 18434 March 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist